Share your modeled tones!

eoengineer

Silver Supporting Member
I'm always interested in listening to other recorded tones, especially when using modeling sources and thought it might be cool to have a thread where we all can share some of our modeled tones. This is not a contest, more or less a place for people to share.

I will sacrifice myself first. Here are a few tunes from my most recent musical endeavor. All tones are Helix Native.

Some details:

- Guitar Right (Tele): Moves back and forth between a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Marshall Plexi Trem, both with a Timmeh stomp in front for some grit. The delay is almost always Transistor Tape, and then I use some sporadic Particle Verb from the legacy fx.
- Guitar Left (LP): Fender Bassman model with various "real" OD, mod, and delay effects.
- Bass (Jaguar): Ampeg SVT

Last edited:

Brandon7s

Good thread, I really enjoy hearing what other tones folks are using! I have a bunch of clips that are random demos comparing modellers to each other, but here's a couple that have tones I particularly like.

Using the Atomic Amplifirebox:

Something more laid back with the above mentioned AFB in conjunction with the Lovepedal Amp 11 drive/boost pedal. I really want to do something more like this with my recent klon-type overdrives that I'm digging:

eoengineer

Silver Supporting Member
Good thread, I really enjoy hearing what other tones folks are using! I have a bunch of clips that are random demos comparing modellers to each other, but here's a couple that have tones I particularly like.

Something more laid back with the above mentioned AFB in conjunction with the Lovepedal Amp 11 drive/boost pedal. I really want to do something more like this with my recent klon-type overdrives that I'm digging:
I really like those tones. The second composition is great. I'd love to write something like that.

Cool!
Here is a work-in-progress waiting for vocals. All done using S-Gear:
These tones sound great, a nice midrange grind that cuts through well.

LolainNB

I loved your “laid Back” track

Seriously did you just play whatever came to mind or is that a somewhat finished piece.

Teach me. Gorgeous stuff

Here are our humble offerings to this mighty thread:

Outboard drive pedals vs digital models of those pedals inside a standalone amp modelling software! Hybrid vs all digital? I think both can be awesome!;)

And a demo of the free demo version of amplitube 4. We managed to get a lot of useful tones from it!

All going into a Presonus Studio 68c.

Rock on, good Sirs!

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a bunch!

Recent comparison between Helix Native, Axe FX III, and Headrush Gigboard:

Older comparison between Helix, AX8, and Gigboard:

Comparison between Helix, AX8, and Atomic Amplifire:

eoengineer

Silver Supporting Member
Here are our humble offerings to this mighty thread:

Outboard drive pedals vs digital models of those pedals inside a standalone amp modelling software! Hybrid vs all digital? I think both can be awesome!;)

And a demo of the free demo version of amplitube 4. We managed to get a lot of useful tones from it!

All going into a Presonus Studio 68c.

Rock on, good Sirs!
I forget how insane the DS-1 sounds. Listening to your clip instantly reminded me how much I enjoy the weird combination of distortion and splattery fuzz that comes out of that pedal.

I've got a bunch!

Recent comparison between Helix Native, Axe FX III, and Headrush Gigboard:

Older comparison between Helix, AX8, and Gigboard:

Comparison between Helix, AX8, and Atomic Amplifire:

I really appreciate the Helix Plexi clip playing Black Hole Sun. Great tone, great tune, great album. Was that all just volume knob work or are you changing a setting in realtime?

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I really appreciate the Helix Plexi clip playing Black Hole Sun. Great tone, great tune, great album. Was that all just volume knob work or are you changing a setting in realtime?
Thanks!

That was specifically to test the tone with the volume rolled down. PAF output pickups at least in the new clips (Suhr Thornbuckers).

ColdFrixion

Tones aside, Polaroid and Make It Better (especially the latter) are really, really good songs. You need to get some marketing and publicity behind these, as they're career making. If you haven't, get them mastered, start a Facebook and YouTube band page and go for it. You'd have a pretty significant following if you actually pushed to get these in front of the masses.

Last edited:

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
Here are a few that repeat the same riff over and over again, but different tones. All Helix Floor:

These first 3 are all with the same IR, just different models (3rd one is the Placater):

This is my old Tech 21 Character British pedal with it's own cab sim:

And this one is the Placater with a Greenback 25 cab and 121 or 160 (I can't remember right now) mic. After trying the top 3 with my band, I have gone back to this one. It sounds different in my IEMs, than it does through speakers. It's pretty bassy, but that goes well with my IEM mix, and FOH dials out whatever they want, that will work with the band mix, etc.

eoengineer

Silver Supporting Member
Fractal AX8: JS410 amp & Clyde wah

This is one of my favorite modeling tones to date....
Peace! X

Note: I only did the lead solo track here & the backing was someone else.
Man do I love the tones and playing in this. The sustain/feedback at the end is awesome. Did you have an amp in the room somewhere to get that interaction happening?

Tones aside, Polaroid and Make It Better (especially the latter) are really, really good songs. You need to get some marketing and publicity behind these, as they're career making. If they haven't, get them mastered, start a Facebook and YouTube band page (if you haven't already) and go for it. You'd have a pretty significant following if you actually pushed to get these in front of the masses.
I really appreciate your feedback, thank you for taking the time to say that :beer.

We tracked these tunes in a couple hours at a local college for a songwriting competition (which we lost :(), so everything was really rushed. While we aren't expecting much to happen, we do have a facebook page, are gigging with a positive response, and hope to find our break. I'd love to get more resources behind the project.

I'm a High Gain Player and here is my clip to share.

I use Neural DSP Archetype Nolly on this one. One of my best 5150 tones I have got together.
Cool tones. I really like the composition to, especially those big Minor 9 chords, hits my deftones button.

ColdFrixion

I really appreciate your feedback, thank you for taking the time to say that :beer.

We tracked these tunes in a couple hours at a local college for a songwriting competition (which we lost :(), so everything was really rushed. While we aren't expecting much to happen, we do have a facebook page, are gigging with a positive response, and hope to find our break. I'd love to get more resources behind the project.
Those are really good songs for the genre they're targeting, and when I say good, I'm not just being polite. Trust me, if you push to get them in front of the masses, you'll find a huge market. Get your band and those songs in front of as many people as possible and as often as possible and both will gain serious traction. You're onto something. Seriously. Don't pursue it halfheartedly.

X-Mann

Man do I love the tones and playing in this. The sustain/feedback at the end is awesome. Did you have an amp in the room somewhere to get that interaction happening?
Hey Man.....Thx & NO, this was all done direct....but...I did have my studio monitors just cranked!!! That really helps me get extra sustain & that “Amp Like” over the edge/out of control thing going on.

I did like 15+ takes On this to capture a “Special” one.....& I felt that this was the best version to capture the vibe I was going for!

Peace! X-Mann

Last edited:

Brandon7s

I really like those tones. The second composition is great. I'd love to write something like that.

These tones sound great, a nice midrange grind that cuts through well.
I loved your “laid Back” track

Seriously did you just play whatever came to mind or is that a somewhat finished piece.

Teach me. Gorgeous stuff
Shucks, fellas! I appreciate the kind words! :oops:

The laid back track was all improvised. Made a simple three chord loop and then let it take me where it felt right. I've been really trying to focus on phrasing, trying to get my lead playing to sound more melodic and vocal, with a more musical feel. Most of my lead playing ends up sounding like I'm just trying to fill space with notes in a scale and gets repetitive rather than going somewhere and having a start/middle/end, so I'm very encouraged that I seem to be making some progress!

I use Neural DSP Archetype Nolly on this one. One of my best 5150 tones I have got together.
Love it! That sounds great.

X-Mann

EVERYTHING you do is pure GOLD son!!!! A++ & I’ll always be a fan of whatever you do & use!!!! I never hear a modeling device when your tones (& playing) are concerned!

Peace! X

Drop the sun

EVERYTHING you do is pure GOLD son!!!! A++ & I’ll always be a fan of whatever you do & use!!!! I never hear a modeling device when your tones (& playing) are concerned!

Peace! X
There was so much nice words in this one X! Thank you!

Fractal AX8: JS410 amp & Clyde wah

This is one of my favorite modeling tones to date....
Peace! X

Note: I only did the lead solo track here & the backing was someone else.
Wish I could shred like you! Awesome vibes and style!

X-Mann

Fractal Audio Axe Fx iii: Leon Todd “LT Lead Delays” preset, USA Lead Amp model

Note: NOT direct audio & just some Studio monitors into an iphone.....

@Leon Todd has the only presets that work for me right out of the gate with little to no adjustments.

This is a really FUN preset to play through too.

Peace! X

Trending Topics