Share your pain with the TGP about when you let "THE ONE " go.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BryanMatthews, Aug 2, 2008.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

If a player is lucky, one day he will have a guitar in his hands that literally speaks to him and he will realise that he has " THE ONE " in his hands.

Life being what it is , theres a good chance that same player will sell on "THE ONE " or trade it and about 2 years later realises the biggest musical mistake he is ever going to make.

Im sure some players here had "THE ONE " in their hands, what did you do with it and if you sold it on or traded it, how do you feel now ?

Bryan

2. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

There are a couple...not that I owned and sold...but that I played in stores and passed on, that I never should have. An R9 that was miles better than any other LP - Historic or otherwise - that I've ever played. I balked at the price. And a CS Relic top-loaded Esquire that was similarly good. I regret passing on those two, for sure.

3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

There is no such thing as "the one". All guitars are made of wood, plastic and metal parts. They can all be duplicated sound and playing wise and there are hundreds of thousands of axes everywhere you look! Thats my story and I'm sticking to it

4. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Long story how I got there, but I managed to get stuck in New Zealand with no way to pay my way back to the US, so I sold my only guitar, a 9 month old custom made G&L hardtail Legacy in a light sunburst, lightweight alder. That was a big ouch to let go of at that time. But nothing that can't be replaced.

5. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

Did don happen to have Don written on it in big white letters?
    Ive seen an old C and W for sale that had don written on it!

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I think it was third grade, right in the middle of class.

It was so embarrassing, it was just awful. All the guys were laughing and none of the girls would talk to me for a week.

The teacher made me sit in the hall the rest of the class period.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  7. uOpt

uOpt Member

Well. Selective memory might play a big role here.

8. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Well, I let TWO of them go within a year of each other. I sold my '53 Gretsch Script Logo Jet, which I bought from Hogy, because it was time for another car and I wanted to put a really good down payment on it. I then sold Currypowder my '64 Sparkle Jet because I wanted another motorcycle. That really was a stupid move.

Of course, there is the '63 Swamp Ash refin Strat I sold to Gil Southworth in 1991 for $1500. I don't even want to let my mind wander in that direction. Greatest Strat ever.

Mike

9. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I had a 2001 PRS Singlecut that just smoked. Nothing fancy but I wish I had her back.

10. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

my 60' 335....

man....

oh man.....

11. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Been over this but it never quits hurting... '76 100 watt Superlead, '64 Vox amp. '76 Gibson Explorer, '75 Les Paul and a laundry list of LP Specials and Jrs from 50's 60's 70's. Each one was "the one".

12. Degle

Degle Member

For me it was a well used R8 I bought from a TGP'r. I got rid of it because it was more beat up than my other guitars... Since losing THE R8, I've had an R7, another R8, 2 Heritage LP's and a PRS SC245. All were nice, but none had the vibe of that R8.

13. XKnight

XKnight Member

I had a 69 SG that I played for a number of years when I was in a band. Stupidly, I sold it to a friend of mine for $350 because he kept bugging me for it. Plus, this was the early 80s and shredder guitars were all the rage so I got myself a brand new Dean Z. I recently sold the Dean and that started my new quest.

14. enocaster

enocaster Member

Say what you will about the Norlin era, but in the mid-90's I played a late 70's black LP Custom that still haunts me. It was a perfect example of the "good ones get played" rule because it had a ton of play wear Рfinger indents and no finish left on the back of the neck; I have to resort to the old clich̩ - it played itself. I was instantly in love, but at $650 it was double my teenaged guitar budget. The store actually had a bunch of similar LPC's and I played a few just to make sure my noob status wasn't clouding my judgement Рit wasn't. My only twisted consolation is that the original owner probably misses it a helluva lot more than I do.

15. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

In the late 60s and early 70s I let go:

'57 Strat
    '66 Epiphone Howard Roberts
    '67 Gibson L-5
    '67 BF Vibrolux reverb with JBL D-110f speakers
    '67 Ampeg B-15
    '67 Precision Bass
    '64 Gibson Explorer amp

:jo :bkw :BITCH

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm torn... hell, I sold a killer 62RI Tele just yesterday that I loved. But, I get over it quick. Too much great gear out there to dwell in the past imho.

17. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I do believe in love. I do believe there is "the one", and I do believe mine is a 1989 Gibson Les Paul Studio -- Black with chrome hardware and an ebony fretboard. I love my newer Deluxe, but I will never rid myself of my '89. She is in need of a fret job but I can't bring myself to let anyone else touch her. I am selfish that way. Forgive me '89 Les Paul Studio.

For real though -- she has little gashes, some wood showing, worn finish, does need a fret job, plays like a dream and is worth more to me than any other guitar I have ever owned (gibsons, gretschs',martins). She's overweight and not so pretty, but man she gets the job done every time! It's like putting on a glove (not OJ's glove, his didn't fit remember!)

I know, I need pics.

Someone else share your love affair with some old piece of bark. I'm done.

18. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Been playing for 30 years, and i've yet to find "the one"...

19. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

I let go of an original Marshall Bluesbreaker.............ouch.

20. m@2

m@2 Member

oh many, so many...

'70 Superlead with matching basket weave Marshall half stack
    2 Les Paul Juniors (both from the late 50's)
    MANY killer bassman amps from '63-'68 (but I have held on to my '63 6G6 piggyback!)

several nice Tele's... but can't complain, I still have a couple killer guitars