Share your perfect BOGNER XTC Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brockburst, Feb 26, 2009.

1. brockburst

brockburst Member

I did a search and there hasn't really been a quality thread on this, and as owners know, the XTC is amazing and somewhat confusing at times. So what I am looking for is the following, granted I REALIZE TONE IS SUBJECTIVE, soo take your best shot and hopefully people will find their perfect setting in this thread.

Please include Gain Structure, Channel, Plexi Mode or not, Boost or not, Old or New, Half or Full etc etc, like Bogner does in the sample settings on their website, that would be really helpful.

For me I am looking for a Mid 60's Fender Clean on the Green Channel
    I interpret the Blue Channel to be for Blues or Modern Rhythm, would like a great setting for those.
    I interpret Red to be for searing lead and 3D in your face open air power chords you can feeeeel.

So someone start it off.

2. brockburst

brockburst Member

3. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Supporting Member

tomorrow and post them. Consider this a bump

4. brockburst

brockburst Member

For the Perfect Fender Clean - I did it yesterday. ....... WOWIE....from the bogner forum.

"I've been displeased with the XTC clean channel and just endured it for the most part all of these years. I've dissected the blue and red channels down to each grid, plate and cathode but never took the time to look into the green channel. Today I got my multimeter out, pulled the chassis on the XTC and went to work. I have the XTC schematic so I was able to follow along.

The XTC's clean preamp is a Fender Super Reverb/Deluxe Reverb clone. If anyone has played a good Fender blackface like a Super Reverb or Deluxe Reverb you know that the normal channel does not have a mid and presence control and the XTC has both mid and presences. Lets start with the mid control.

The XTC clean uses a 25k linear mid pot and the Fenders use a FIXED setting of 6.8k for the mids, no pot just a 6.8k resistor. So you have no control over the mids, its stuck on 6.8k. So where is 6.8k on the XTC's mid pot you say? I took a reading on the mid pot and the magic setting of 6.8k is around 10 o'clock on the XTC's mid control. For what its worth a Twin Reverb does have a mid control and its a 10k Audio pot.

Another component to the coveted Fender clean tone is the bright switch. The bright switch on a Fender is a 120pf which boost the extreme highs, the higher the value the more you start boosting the mids . On the XTC you have 3 choices B1=100pf, N=OFF, B2=220pf. 100pf is a lot closer to 120pf than 220pf so obviously you want to choose either B1 or N for the Fender tone. You will not hear the difference between 20pf's.

Presence control or lack there of on a Fender is easy on the XTC. Assign the presence B to the green channel and turn it completely off or down......thats it. Its basically quasi-removed out of the circuit.

Most people know this but its worth repeating as its probably the most important factor to getting the Fender clean. On a Fender there is NO master volume just a volume. Set the volume on the XTC to max and now your Gain control becomes your volume. This gives you the absolute best and complete mix of the pre and power amp.

Excursion setting. There isn't any type of bass boost in a Fender pwr amp so set the XTC to Tight which is OFF.

So a quick recap:
    Mid control 10 O'clock (6.8k)
    Bright switch either B1 or N
    Presence turned all the way down or off
    Volume maxed and use the gain for adjusting volume
    Excursion set to Tight

Thats it! With these settings you can adjust the treble, bass and volume (gain control actually) to taste and you'll be in Fender heaven! The only thing missing is the Fender power amp and open back cabinet with Jensen Alnico speakers for the perfect Fender clean but that would really mess up the Marshally sounding lead channels." [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  5. Yek

Yek Member

You should state much more clearly that the whole text section above is an exact copy of a message of Brent (and entirely his work too) on the Bogner forum. Many have benefitted from this. Credits go to him.

6. brockburst

brockburst Member

Says from bogner forum. Clear as day.

7. Yek

Yek Member

Don't think so. Quotes would be though.

8. brockburst

brockburst Member

Nitpick another thread. This is for settings.

9. brockburst

brockburst Member

SRV Blues Tone settings anyone?

10. rsp3

rsp3 Member

I'm serching for some good SRV settings on the amp as well. The green channel is great for his cleaner stuff. I'm looking for that mild break up sound that can be hit with a dirt or boost pedal to give his overdriven sounds.

I've been expermenting with the blue channel but it seem every time I hit it with a TS pedal it gets a little too compressed sounding.

I'm using a stock custom shop strat with Fralin Blues Specials.
    My Two-Rock CR can get pretty much all of his sounds with or without the right pedals. I would figure the Ecstasy could certainly get very close with all the tone shaping it has.

I have to look into this a little more, my band plays a few SRV tunes and I really love his sound.

Robert

11. brockburst

brockburst Member

Yeah I would love some input, someone told me TS in plexi mode on 2 should hit it. But I am finding the same thing you are. Also dumped all my distortion/overdrive pedals when I got this amp because I didn't think I needed them. Ha.

12. Lution

Lution Member

credit and all, yeah. but I tweaked out nearly these exact settings with my 101B before Brent posted them at the Bogner forum. It was good to see I was on the right track though.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  13. Ricker

Ricker Member

Very difficult to get SRV settings outta the XTC....also Vox sounds are pretty difficult.
    To get the SRV sound you need to crank a clean channel...
    So set the clean with the Bogner forum settings and with boost engaged and at a fairly loud volume with a Fulltone or a TIM pedal will most probably get you closest.
    I've tried the plexi channel but it doesn't seem to give up SRV

For very cool lower gain break- up.... try Blue channel......
    gain on 12 to 2 o clock
    Excursion on L and structure high with bass on max and the rest to taste
    Pre EQ on B2

For a great red channel rhythm .........
    try pre 2004 mod
    with gain on 2 to 3 o clock and structure on H
    Pre EQ on B2
    Use tone controls to your taste and volume setting.
    Hit the boost for searing leads.

R

14. brockburst

brockburst Member

What is a TIM pedal, thanks

15. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

I have a 101A that is pre-2004.

For my red channel highest gain stuff I use the presence: 2:30 treble: 2:30 mid: 11:30 bass: 2:00 gain: 2:00. B1, high gain structure obviously, and I do switch between the M and T excursion. The M gives me the FAT XTC tone that we know, but the T setting sharpens attack and keeps faster stuff together a bit better IMO. When I use the T excursion I do lower both presence and treble.

16. Ricker

Ricker Member

It's a medium gain overdrive pedal like a Fulldrive II with a boost etc etc.
    Search for Paul Cochrane Tim and Timmy pedals

R

17. brockburst

brockburst Member

18. dirkpitt

dirkpitt Senior Member

19. brockburst

brockburst Member

i mean it sounds good, but what settings did u use to get that, what guitar you playin

20. brockburst

brockburst Member

cause yeah....that is sick....and those are the settings i want, bluesy clean, bluesy rhytm blue, in your face red...so hook me up!

awesome clip