Shared volume control, different impedance

JaminJuno

I'm about to wire up a project jazzmaster using two pickups that require different value volume pots, 1k for the neck and 250meg for the bridge. I would like to stick with only having one master volume control if possible. Can I wire a resistor between the bridge pickup and the volume control and use a 1k pot? What value would I use? Many thanks!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
wait, you mean 1Meg and 250k, right?

what kind of pickups are we talking about?

anyway, use a 1M volume, then put a resistor close to 333k from the pickup needing the 250k's hot right to ground.

the one pickup and the combination will see a 250k load, while the other pickup by itself just sees the 1M volume pot.

also, "require" might be overstating it; you could very well find that they both sound good just using a 500k volume.

David Collins

...also, "require" might be overstating it; you could very well find that they both sound good just using a 500k volume.
+1. There really is no "required" value for any pickup within a reasonable range. A better view may be "is most commonly preferred with", as it really amounts to no more than this - common preferences. As Walter suggested, it's not a bad idea to start with one value an see how you like it. Then if you want one brighter or the other a bit less so, tweak the values from there by loading resistors across in certain positions.

JaminJuno

Whoops! Brain snap. I did indeed mean a 1meg and a 250k pot. I'm planning on a Telenator WRHB in the neck position. They specifically suggest using a 1meg to retain the high end and I'm using a G&L Jumbo MFD in the bridge position which is a very bright sounding pickup. I think it would be a little too harsh without a little high end roll off.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
at least that G&L pickup should reasonably hang volume-wise.

yeah, their idea is lower-wound steel-pole pickups for clarity and decent loudness; it might be OK with 500k all around, but i wouldn't be surprised if you really did prefer the 1M/250k idea.

you could also wire the tone control to the bridge pickup only; a 500k volume by itself should be essentially equal to a typical widerange or jazzmaster 1M vol+1M tone combo when all the way up, and if you had a 250k tone that only hit the bridge pickup it would get you somewhere closer to the zone of 250k vol + 250k tone "regular fender" sound.

(nobody cares, but this kind of stuff is why i don't like mixing pickup types or even coil-splitting or series-parallel on my guitars; i want all the pickup options to balance volume-wise with each other, and to behave the same with the volume and tone controls.)

JaminJuno

Thanks for the advice Walter. Hadn't considered only wiring the bridge to the tone but that's an excellent idea. Might be just the solution I'm looking for.