Shaving down a Suhr neck

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Paul Conway, May 23, 2008.

1. xroads

xroads Member

Terry,
    thanks for sharing this insightful information from John, who, unfortunately, does not frequent this forum any more.
    If I was in the OP's position, I would send just the neck to Suhr, and have him done the modification.

2. spacebarmusic

spacebarmusic Member

One of the coolest things about Suhr is that if you have a neck you are comfortable with... he can make a copy of it, and build you a guitar with that exact neck shape! That is the coolest IMHO. Have some freaky crap guitar but love the way the neck feels. Send it to him and he will make you a great guitar with that neck! Can't beat that!

3. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Ok guys, I'll drop John a line. It's proving very difficult to sell the ax anyway.

4. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

P.S. thanks for talking sense into me, chaps. (-;

5. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

PPS: I would just like to say that in general, Terry McInturff speaks a great deal of sense, and seems to be a really decent human being to boot. I know these boards can get a little acrimonious at times, but it's people like him that keep me coming back. When I win the Euromillions Lotto, I'll be ordering one of his guitars..

6. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

I should have that kind of tenacity. I'd be making cars, TVs, amps, watches, etc.:cool:

7. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Not to mention hi-fi separates, bicycle parts, kitchen utensils, pepper mills, nappies & bottles for baby, cats, etc...

8. L3stat

L3stat Member

Hi fellas, just wondering, does anyone here have both the Even C Fat and Even C Medium necks? I'm trying to get a feel of how much larger the Fat is going to be, have a Medium myself. Read so far that it's close to a 50s neck LP .818" .963" at the 13th fret (vs Even C Fat's .880" to .960"), but unsure of the profile. Better to hear from real experience!

Is it a great deal larger, and would it take adjusting to swap between the two?

9. Structo

Structo Member

Or just slap another neck on it.
    Doesn't it have traditional Fender pocket dimensions?
    I'd hate to have an expensive neck shaved only to find I didn't like it afterwards.

10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

It is not a great deal larger. I have 4 different Suhr neck shapes. I have no problem adjusting---even between the Even C Slim to the Even C Fat. The biggest difference is up at the nut, obviously, but with typical Fender nut width, it just feels fuller in your hand.

The 50's round is the biggest neck, and possibly my favorite.

11. L3stat

L3stat Member

Thanks for the feedback! Actually, I think the Even C Huge is the fattest, weighing in at 1", 50's Round is 0.98". Been spending too much time on that section of Suhr's website for my own good.

I've got an Even C Medium and a Vintage C Standard, which are really close at the 13th fret. I think I'd probably do fine with the Even C Fat. Oughta spend a bit more time with the LP and see how that works out.

12. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

No. Wider at butt-end.

13. Jon

Jon Member

I find it odd that people feel the need to have the 'perfect' neck shape for them. I've got guitars with widely-differing neck shapes but it doesn't really bother me - you adapt and get used to the guitars fairly quickly. For me it adds to tha character of the instrument and it doesn't compromise technique to any great degree. It's like guys who only go out with a particular physical type of girl!

14. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

For me it's a comfort thing. Too thin or thick, and extended playing equals hand pain. Too many run-ins with RSI in the past to put up with that.