1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shawn Lane like speed groupings clip.

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Tag, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Recorded this real quick after putting on my shredders hat for a minute. ;) Grabbed the Strat and Im not even sure if its in tune. The fast runs consist of 5 and 6 note groupings per beat. You can add as many different patterns as you want. I just jam them in there to fit and keep playing them until I want to come out of it. I use to do a solo in J.Priests "metal gods" and keep it going for like 2 minutes until my hand cramped solid. Lol! The guitar players in the audience would love it. Haha! With a little practice, I think anyone can do it pretty easily. Im sure the shredders on here can do much better examples than I. Practice this stuff for a few weeks and you can do it almost as fast as you want. Im picking every note, but when you pull some off it sounds even more impressive.

Top clip here. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/tag101music.htm

2. matte

matte Senior Member

Tag, I love ya but it's not even close to the same. You are playing closed intervals, out of a pentatonic fingering(with the b5 added).

3. Tag

I love you too, but there is no flat 5 or pentatonic in there. Its all A Dorian. :p
    (Couldnt be a mistake, I dont make them ;) ) This was just a quick example of groups of 5 and 6 notes per beat being played at speed. I know them all over the fingerboard in 2-3 and 4 note groupings per string. (I am actually back to playing in a much more position oriented fasion now, as I phrase much better that way) Watch those Lane videos, thats all hes doing. He has tons of different patterns he worked out, but its all the same idea. Very cool in limited doses, but every solo is the same thing. I will never sound like Lane doing it, because he has never influenced me at all. Ill do another clip of it all over the fingerboard when I get a chance.

4. J.T.

J.T. Supporting Member

*** OK OK I'll Be Nice ****

5. Tag

There are 5 and 6 note groupings per beat in the example. Thats all its meant to show, and it does perfectly. What is there not to be nice about? :confused:

6. Joe

Joe Senior Member

Pre-qualifying the clip as crap again, I told you do this ALL the time.

7. Tag

Thats right! I have to do it every single time now to see if you remark on it.:p

8. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

9. Marcello

Marcello Member

10. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

No hijacking intented. Did you find the clip of Tag?

11. Marcello

Marcello Member

i was kidding btw

nope...too bad , i was in a shred mood