• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Shawn Lane & Outside Playing

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought & watched the Shawn Lane "Power Licks" video. It's interesting because on the video he espouses playing "outside" patterns and plays some very cool stuff that goes in and out of the harmony. I've rarely heard him do this on CD where he has tended to be more diatonic to the keys.

Can't wait to infuse these new ideas into my playing.

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Tom Gross
Yes, I'm a big fan of Shawns, but examples of his work vary in complexity and quality. Some of his stuff is extremely interesting, as well as technically mind-bplowing.

There's a bit of his outside stuff in the lesson published here:

http://www.richardhallebeek.com/inter/shawn.htm#les
Thanks Tom! Those look like things from the video for which I do not have a booklet for!

I'm going to jazify some of those types of lines and possibly include some shawn inspirations in my next book.

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by jzucker
Thanks Tom! Those look like things from the video for which I do not have a booklet for!

I'm going to jazify some of those types of lines and possibly include some shawn inspirations in my next book.
Hey Jack when you're referring to him beeing too diatonic which CDs are we talking about?

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro
Hey Jack when you're referring to him beeing too diatonic which CDs are we talking about?
Powers of ten, primarily.

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro
OY-VEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get any of the Hellborg/lane things, and be prepared to woodshed...a lot.
I'm already woodshedding on Shawn's stuff. He's in his own league. I realize thie power licks tape is just 1/1,000,000th of his concept but it's enough to keep me busy for life.

Which hellborg collaboration is the best?

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Yes, I'm a big fan of Shawns, but examples of his work vary in complexity and quality. Some of his stuff is extremely interesting, as well as technically mind-bplowing.

Holy Mackeral Tom. He plays these things so fast you can't tell what he's doing until you see the notation. Anybody want to buy all my guitars?

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by lhallam
Holy Mackeral Tom. He plays these things so fast you can't tell what he's doing until you see the notation. Anybody want to buy all my guitars?
Haha - My wife asked me that when we watched the power licks video together. Folks tell me I play too fast but watching the G3, Michael Angelo and Shawn Lane videos this weekend I can gleefully proclaim them wrong! :D

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
I'm already woodshedding on Shawn's stuff. He's in his own league. I realize thie power licks tape is just 1/1,000,000th of his concept but it's enough to keep me busy for life.

Which hellborg collaboration is the best?
Time s The Enemy or Temporal Analogues Of Time comes to mind...

EricT

Just ordered "Time is the Enemy"

Thanks!:)
That's my favorite Shawn Lane CD! Tell us what you think when you get it!
Shawn was really something else...

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by EricT
That's my favorite Shawn Lane CD! Tell us what you think when you get it!
Shawn was really something else...
Yep. Sure was. Oddly enough, I didn't fully appreciate him until a month or so before he passed. I had bought "Power Licks" years ago but wasn't ready for it. (I'm still not).

EricT

Yeah, I didn't like Time is the Enemy at all when I bought it, I thought it was just some guy playing weird solos for an entire album. I didn't hear any melody, and it didn't even sound that fast because I was used to even groupings and straight 16ths or 32nds...
But after getting a bit into fusion and jazz I gave it another listen and was instantly amazed:)

Jemlite

Is this website freaking out your browser when you click on a clip like mine does? Mine starts flashing like a pinball machine but plays everything ok. Weird... :eek:

Tom Gross

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by Jemlite
Is this website freaking out your browser when you click on a clip like mine does? Mine starts flashing like a pinball machine but plays everything ok. Weird... :eek:
Yeah, it kinda has an epileptic seizure. I think it's the weird sound playing thing. But I've been afraid to email anybody at the site in case they take it down. The interview's kind of cool too.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Haha - My wife asked me that when we watched the power licks video together. Folks tell me I play too fast but watching the G3, Michael Angelo and Shawn Lane videos this weekend I can gleefully proclaim them wrong! :D
How funny .... !!!

Trending Topics