Shawn Lane's Power Licks finally on Google Video

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Yngtchie Blacksteen, May 14, 2006.

1. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

2. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

That's awsome. I have his next video, but this one seems better because he explains how he got his technique down. Also what kind of pick did he use? It sounds like it was kind of thin.

3. Yngtchie Blacksteen

No, he'd never be able to pick that fast and precise with a thin pick. He used Jazz III picks, the red ones.

4. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Yeah I noticed that he had a red pick, but when you listen to the tone, when he is playing faster it has sort of a thin sound to it. Mainly when he is accenting certain notes. Maybe its because he used light strings.

5. ivers

ivers Member

I'm more inclined to believe it's the angle he hits the strings from that creates the kinda thin tone.

6. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Yeah your probabaly right.

7. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Member

He was such a clean picker, why did he bury his tone under so much echo? Great lesson vid nevertheless, especially the references to taking piano, sax, and other instruments and letting them influence his guitar playing.

:YinYang

8. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I think most of his playing WITHOUT a band just goes over most people's head, because it is just TOO fast. A lot of his examples sounded better slow to me lol. But when he plays that stuff with his band, it sounds amazing.

9. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

That's probably 'cause when he's speaking and demoing their is another mic' picking up his vocals and it's probably phase cancelling a bit of his amps mic'd tone. He also has parallel/ series and phase switches on some of his guitars.............

10. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Very true.
    A lot of people out there think he is just "another shredder" but within the band context and all, the flurry of notes always come at the right time hitting you right in the face!

11. riffy

riffy Member

How can I download this? I could really use it for the practice!

Gary

12. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I have one thing to note about the transcriptions that come with one of his videos. The rhythms of section where he shows Pentatonic patterns are not correct. He talks about playing pentatonic patterns in groups of 3,5,6, etc., in the transcriptions they are written as triplets, quintuplets, and sextuplets, what he's really showing are all 16th notes in grouping of 3,5,6, etc. These groupings are cool because you are displacing which 16th the first note of the pattern starts on.

The other thing is playing these as written, though different from SL, is a much harder exercise, and cool in it's own way...

13. wattsup32

wattsup32 Member

i've been watching this. i really like what he has to say about using the sounds of other instruments (especially violin) to help create new sounds on the guitar. he has some interesting thoughts about picking patterns and angles and how they can qualitatively change the sound.

then, he starts playing...

...and he's another in the long line of technichally astounding guitars players who are musically irrelevant. he'd be great to learn from and a disaster to emulate.

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Pardon? It's an instruction/technique video... Check out some of his music - he was an amazing, deep player. Don't make the mistake of lumping him in w/ the 'shredder' types as there was MUCH more happening in terms of uniqueness/vision/voice/knowledge/range.

15. Yngtchie Blacksteen

That's absurd. Musically irrelevant? Listen to his albums with Hellborg, especially Abstract Logic, Temporal Analogues Of Paradise, Good People In Times Of Evil and Icon. Those albums show his great range as a musician, and his "Piano Concertina: Transformation Of Themes" from Powers Of Ten shows his depth as a composer.

And this is an instructional video, where he teaches the stuff people want to learn from him, which is the fast licks. And few people does that better than Lane.

16. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

So many people will never get Shawn. He was and is, a musician who's heart showed in his music.

17. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

It just poured forth like a broken NYC fire hydrant in the summer with all the neighborhood kids frolicking through the water!!!!!!!