Sheets of Sound 2 baby!

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Ed DeGenaro, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Since it finally went to the printer...
    I get to talk about it, if you thought SOS was hip wait until you see SOS2.
    Mos def another step up for my playing working through this one.

Jack has the market on way hip guitar lines!

www.sheetsofsound.net

2. rickboot

rickboot Member

Ed,

I just placed my order with Jack. Couldn't pass up the intro price.

Are you going to do clips for SOS2?

Rick

3. Ed DeGenaro

I've done clips for all of it...sent them to Jack a month or so ago...

4. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yeah baby....!!! The first book was some of the best money I have EVER spent!!! The first book is THICK as hell and worth every penny IMOP!!!

Chris

5. drezdin

drezdin Member

Already ordered it! Check the manufacturers emporium to get one

6. rickboot

rickboot Member

Cool. Now I can hear how the examples are supposed to be played before I get in there and butcher them. :)

7. Megatron

Megatron Member

Hey Ed, what's your take on economy picking now that you've worked through the 2 books? Also, how much of SOSII is utilizing economy picking?

I've always been more of an alternate picker/legato player......the mechanical aspect of econmy picking seemed to make it less apealing. You know.....odd numbers of notes to create the sweeps and even numbers to change directions. When i really just wanted to hear smething in my head and instantly be able to play it with out haveing to worry about how I'd execute it. Strong alt picking and legato seemed to solve that.

But years later now, After one of my old teachers moved back to town, I've been working on economy stuff. He's a great econmy picker and made the switch in the late 80's.

I think I'll always favor strict alternate picking but I figured I'd give it another try just to have anther way to phrase things.

Just wondering what your $0.02 is.
    Jack, your welcome to chime in aswell.
    Thanks!

8. Ed DeGenaro

Lets put it like this, my alternate picking wasn't all that great when I started SOS1...and so the economy approach helped...a lot. After that I actually saw my alternate picking improve as well. Which until now I still haven't figured out.

Now 2 is a good amount of economy picking based. BUT, I actually turned a bunch of the lines into legato, or legato and pick and fingers approach.
    The way I see it as that it's kinda like the Mick Goodrick book, it grows with you and when you sorta master something you can apply the concept to a different approach.

9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

A reply from the author:

There's nothing in either SOS book that requires economy picking. I happen to like the linearity of the left hand fingerings that sweep picking normally advocates so it makes the lines easy to play with sweep picking but in my own playing I alternate pick about 80% of the time but when I want a quick burst of 19 notes over a beat or two, I might play it with sweep picking.

10. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Haha - I like the sound of that! I still need to call you RH. Thanks for all your suggestions. You da man!

11. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

SOS I is a great book -

Interestingly I've been an economy picker most of my life and this book has REALLY helped me with true alternate picking, even though the patterns aren't figured as such.

Thanks Jack!

12. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

FWIW, I don't use economy picking, and I loved SOS I. I just practice the examples with alternate picking, and with a Brett Garsed style hybred/legato.