1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Sheets of Sound question

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Trapp, May 18, 2011.

1. Trapp

Trapp Member

I've had SOS for about a year, but haven't tackled it until now. Sweep picking is entirely new to me, and it's hard to get used to after 26 years of alternate picking; and the different position fingerings are still a bit hard to get used to, but I'll keep at it. I'm very unhappy with my current technique, so something has to change. I'm planning on working through the book, 20 minutes a day, front to back, at whatever tempo I can manage cleanly. Then I'll go back and work over the bits that struck me as interesting. Along with all my other practicing, that makes it slightly more than an hour a day, but I'm a professor, single, and my job allows me the time. Hopefully the improvements will start to come.

Here's my question: should I be practicing the exercises in SOS with a straight-8 feel, or with a swing feel?

Any advice and stories about your own experiences with SOS would be helpful. I've read a lot of the posts here about the book, but I haven't found anything regarding swing or straight feel.

Thanks.

2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Both. Start with which ever one you are most comfortable with.

3. wes37

wes37 Supporting Member

Practice it like you would play normally.

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Hi guys,

A couple things to keep in mind. Althought the fingerings and suggested picking often indicate economy/sweep picking, they also lend themselves very well to alternate or hybrid picking. I wouldn't get hung up on the sweep picking if that feels awkward to you.

I would also suggest that you pick 4 or 5 patterns and master them before moving on to the next. The book wasn't intended to be a sequential front to back kind of application.

Regarding feel, I will usually practice with a swing feel for this reason:

Playing with a swing feel requires a bit more finesse than even 8ths. If you can play the lines with a swing feel, you will easily be able to play the lines with straight 8ths.

The other thing to keep in mind is that many of the patterns are expressed as repetitive 8th note patterns. Make sure to break them up so that you can play them starting on the & of a beat or even various parts of the 16th note subdivision.

i.e.

1 e & a
    2 e & a
    3 e & a
    4 e & a

5. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Nothing like the author himself checkin' in! :D:aok

6. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Member

Jack's the man ! And my Buddy...But SOS is a real ball buster ! I have a hard time with it. I'm more of a hands on type player, do better when I hear it and see it done in front of my nose. But that's just me. We have been talking about helping each other with some lesson vids someday. Hopefully he might pick some material from the book, and we could watch the master in person ! His playing is un-real !

7. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Jack is so smooth it makes me want to throw the six-string down and switch to jaw harp.

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Let's do it frankie!