Shell Pink

CapnRex

I have noticed a lot of boutiques with the color now so if it's trickled down to them I'd say it's a trend.

I think it's alright but I generally don't like solid colors as much unless it's gold or maybe teal.

Sgtpepper89

Shell Pink seem to be in trend on all Fender type models right now and its speading to other brands. Theres even a Gibson SG special model. Search on shell pink at andertons.co.uk and theres 24 different ones all seems to sell out right away.

CapnRex

I know this is not exactly PC but do you think pink is now acceptable since there is less fear of being considered feminine? When I was younger men had to actively avoid anything feminine but now maybe that has changed?
I'm asking as an American who has lived in Japan for the last 10 years and purely through reddit and the news has seen societal changes over the decade.

C-4

I know this is not exactly PC but do you think pink is now acceptable since there is less fear of being considered feminine? When I was younger men had to actively avoid anything feminine but now maybe that has changed?
I'm asking as an American who has lived in Japan for the last 10 years and purely through reddit and the news has seen societal changes over the decade.

I don't let any of that bother me. I have a shell pink S-type guitar and play it in clubs where there are a lot of motor cyclists. All I get are compliments and bikers telling me it reminds them of a '50's Cadillac.

Flea having the Shell Pink jazz signature was the first sign I saw and it seems to have kicked off a bit of a wave. It's a nice finish! Honestly under stage lights you might struggle to tell the difference between SP and a cream guitar, but Neon finishes are kind of sneaking in around the edges thanks to the ironic (and not so ironic) shredder guys so I guess Hot Pink is making a small comeback too.

stephax

Quarter Pounder with Cheese = Royal Cheese
Platinum Supporting Member
Pink was a masculine color until XVIII Century, so no.

Ridgeback

Very cool color and better looking relic'd. Here's mine...

I owned a nice FSR strat in Shell Pink for a few years. If I were to own another, it would have to be aged like this one, minus the wear through the finish. Un-relicd SP is just too much pink for my tastes.

bigmac53

Silver Supporting Member
I definitely think it's trendy; but probably here to stay (which is a good thing). It's a really cool color that looks great on pretty much any guitar, and looks great new as well as relic'd.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
It's one of the early Fender automobile custom colors, so I don't know about the "trendy" part. Could be a trend now, sure, but trends come and go and it wouldn't be the first time.

I had an 80s MIJ shell pink Strat for awhile. Liked it fine when I got it, but it's the only color I've ever had that I actually got tired of. In spite of it being pink, it managed to be kind of dull. Didn't come to hate it, it became just kind of "blah" to me.

Even then, not the reason I moved it out, just a GAS fueled "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" thing I'm sure, don't really remember. Though I never had a green guitar.

Trending Topics