Sheptones vs Burstbuckers vs Lollar imperials

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingsxman, Aug 27, 2008.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone done a comparison with Sheptones against a pair of Burstbucker 1 and 2's? I dont mind the burstbuckers in my historic SG...but it just seems like there could be more presence and punch and just....something.

Thinking about a set of Sheptones. I hope to have a buddies set of Lollars to try out this weekend.

(For kicks I threw in a Duncan 59 bridge in the neck and a custom custom in the bridge and its too dark. )

2. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I am currently having my R8 setup, and a set of Sheptones installed. It had Burstbuckers 1+2. I should have it back in a couple of days hopefully, and I will let you know what I think of them.

3. kingsxman

Great.
    Was your R8 a darker sounding guitar or not? Which Sheptones?

4. kingsxman

5. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

While you are wiring, check values on your potentiometers with nothing hooked to them. If you have 300k pots, you may want to try 500k pots before you decide ANY pickup is too dark. I've as usual, learned this the hard way. Sounds like an interesting exploration/experiment. Good luck!

Post on what you hear and what you like.

6. guitaraddict

guitaraddict Supporting Member

7. kingsxman

I'll do that. but I just made 2 discoveries last night: I lowered the pickups and they arent anywhere near as dark...and I also had a bad cable. I changed the cable and immediately things brightened up. So its possible these may work.

The pots are RS Guitar works pots...so I think they're probably ok..but I might try and check.

8. trixterq

trixterq Member

I have Sheptones in my Custom Shop SG Custom (PAF Tributes)> Much fuller and smoother than original burstbuckers especially when the AMP isturned up. I am thinking of sellingr/trading though...this one is the white w/gold hardware three p/up without a maestro. I have a custom std SG vos with 2 nickel pickups, and way too many other guitars.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

My 2007 R8 is stock and its hard to believe that the BBs lack presence or punch...to be fair I don't know if anything else could or would sound better than the BBs but with the way mine sounds I have no burning desire to try anything else...

my neck pup is pretty low...flush if not a bit below the pup ring...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. kingsxman

I put a set of Lollars in my SG this weekend. I thought the sound was pretty good. I'm awful at describing this but I thought that there was a bit more fullness to the sound than with the BBucker 1 & 2's. I know that they got a bit fatter sounding with an overdrive than the BB's did. They had a bit more mids and did seem to have that harmonic content that the BB's were missing. I tested them today a bit to my 57 classics in my 61 reissue and they are somewhat similar to that. The lollars have more clarity though. Still...not sure if they're exactly what I want or not. They maybe had a bit of harshness to the top end. I need to do more testing.

Still thinking about just ordering a set of Sheptones. WIth a 5 week wait..if I dont like them I bet I could get close to what I paid for them again.