Sherwood green? What going on here.... Questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vai777, Jan 28, 2008.

1. vai777

vai777 Member

I have a Suhr custom in Sherwood green, it looks like the same Sherwood green that the Fender Custom shop uses on their relics and what not.

BUT the 62 reissue / hotrod version of sherwood green looks completly different to me

3 PICS 3 different hues? maybe its me.....I know the lighting can effect the color greatly but it alway seems that the 62 fender hotrod is a darker color green.

HELP....

The middle pic (fender custom shop) looks like my Suhr, the first an last pics are the 62 reissues in different lighting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mike7

Mike7 Member

the middle one looks like my old aqua marine strat

3. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

From those pictures, only the 1st guitar looks like Sherwood. #2 looks like Turquoise Mist & #3 is like Sherwood but too dark.

4. vai777

vai777 Member

SEE, thats what i'm talking about. Its very confusing

5. DavidH

DavidH Member

6. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

To even get more confused, go to Wildwood's site and check out the '59 thin skins in Sherwood. They look a little more like the Suhr, not my HR62 (the first picture). From Fender books and one "real deal" Sherwood Strat that I saw in the late '80s or early 90s at Gil Southworth's shop, the Fenders are color correct. Of course, you always have to factor in aging, yellowing, environmental conditions, etc...who knows.

Green guitars sound better.

7. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I'm with ya vai777 and have been trying to figure this out for a while now.
    They are certainly different greens even though they have the same name.
    I like the darker hot rod green but can't find it on any custom shop guitars...

8. John C

John C Supporting Member

When Fender had Sherwood Green on the AV '62 Strats circa 1998-2000, it was darker than it should have been; more of an emerald green (I had a '99; that is the only Fender Strat I've ever owned that I wanted to get back). It could also have been the nitro top coat - it seems like the neck on my old one was pretty orange; maybe Fender used that same tinted top coat instead of clear, which would make the body color appear darker.

I haven't seen a '62 Hot Rod in Sherwood Green in person so I don't know if they are closer to the Custom Shop/Suhr Sherwood or if they are like the darker green used on the AV '62s.

9. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

There's also a difference in huge and chroma between REAL Sherwood Green and Metallic Sherwood Green. So be aware if it's Sherwood Green or Metallic Sherwood Green.

10. seafoamtele

seafoamtele Member

you're also dealing with how colors display on your computer, the angle and lighting of each shot, how the camera saw the color etc.
    you should remember when looking at photos online that you can never take what you see in these photos as the "real" color, just an approximation.
    having said that, the first shot looks what I am familiar with as "sherwood green" - the other seem like just weird lighting - a glare on one picking up the metallic quality and the other not quite enough light . . .
    for more see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_calibration
    cheers
    mark

11. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I consider this a good example of Sherwood Green.
    [​IMG]

12. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I consider that beautiful!