She’s back up

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by mentoneman, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:30 AM.

1. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

[​IMG]
    Fired it back up using just eggie ie4 into rack and all is well in mentoneland again!

Next i’ll get back to where i was with ie4 preamp->vht channel A,
    loaded down to line level either rock crusher or juice extractor into rig. That move last time turned the preamp tone into a living breathing animal!

After that figuring out how to switch between the eggie and bogner preamps using GCX with the VHT into the equation;

one vht amp channel dedicated per preamp and switching between the two sides,

Or switching preamps in front of just one of the VHT channels...?

Beagle1, Ian, Robotechnology and 5 others like this.
  2. iam_krash

iam_krash Supporting Member

I miss my IE4, I may grab a new one as Bruce is making them again!

Why not just run stereo? I've tried loading down my 2/50/2, it sounds ok.
    A better option is to run your pre-amp into a Fryette PS-2(in self attenuation mode). You can then control the level of power amp saturation into the 2/50/2!

I thought it would be the ultimate in power amp saturation. Believe it or not, it didn't make a big difference in tone. I found better results in running post pre-amp equalization. Y.M.M.V

3. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

I don’t have speakers for my rig at the moment so it’s di into headphones

After tweaking the preamps on their own and only getting so far tonally, the added loaded power amp brings in the last 20% of girth and eq control i was looking for.

One problem though is that my memory card slot on the pcm80 is not accepting my pitchfx or dual fx cards...hmmm

4. rustolium

rustolium Member

- Awesome!
    - Oh to run this thru 4X12s (resisting urge to use ooogly eye emoji)
    - I'd switch preamps into power amp unless you find you like setting the power amp channels differently for each pre.
    - Have you looked at the Two-Notes Captor X? This rig into that using the mic/speaker modeling would be really fun to experiment with.

5. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Oh he is? It’s the first I’ve heard of it, which I guess isn’t saying much. Did he post any info on it?

6. iam_krash

iam_krash Supporting Member

He's working on it now, pretty far along as I understand.
    I'll find the links on line and forward them.

ctreitzell and teofilrocks like this.
  7. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    some new twists and turns in the new one

Beagle1 and teofilrocks like this.
  8. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

sorry i clipped the camera input a little here and there but so far so good! I am running direct to headphones with this rig and added the VHT power section through a rockcrusher to add sone extra dimension and tone—-i spun the VHT presence and depth controls on the vid so people can hear how that affects the tone

I need to work on eggie ch 2...i want either a SRV thing or a RFord tone from that channel which will require a compressor and od box out front.

A comp will also help smooth out the clean tone for me.

I figured out my pcm 80 card problem..dumb me was trying to insert it upside down. i forget stuff when i haven’t done it in a while. The pcm80 was reinitialized so all my user presets are wiped and my pc with my stored sysex files is not with me so it’s a good time to revisit the factory presets.

Beagle1 likes this.
  9. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

I ran the raw eggie/vht combo into some PRS v30 tremonti 1x12s and it sounded great, but then i swapped out the eggie with the bogner preamp and that was a SICK match.

The setting each side of the VHT differently is why I was leaning that way, but i worry about switching noise in the GCX.

i am also predicting that a strymon iridium may enter the picture eventually to replace my rocktron cab emulation