Shield or the like for when micing an amp???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by trebor, May 22, 2015.

1. trebor

trebor Member

I have an ac30 and at some venues the amp is to loud at the volume which works for my sound. This means i compromise and put it behind the stage and mic it up but at some venues this can still can be a problem for the sound engineer.

What is the best way to get round this? Is there a good way to mute the sound from the amp while micing it effectively?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

Maybe a Senn e609/906 laid flat against the grill, and then lean a plywood board lined with felt or foam against the face of the amp. I saw Phil Keaggy do something like this in a smallish venue and it worked OK. You still get a good bit of sound around the sides of the board and from the back of the amp, but it might knock down the direct sound enough to make it workable.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Something like a Mesa Cab Clone will allow you to mute the speaker and send a signal to the board for the PA.

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

You can lean it way back so it beams the ceiling.
    Direct the amp cross stage.
    Turn it around facing backwards into stage curtains.
    Make an upholstery cushion fort. Dampens sound but still breathes unlike iso cabs.

5. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

At one of my winter gigs the guitarist showed up 30 seconds before set time, threw his vintage 100w marshall on stage and started the show. I've always heard talk of the "laser beam" effect coming from the speaker, but this was unreal. It was so incredibly loud on axis that there was a visible void of people in the speakers line of sight.

Naturally the owner of the club was in my ear within moments and I had to fix it. I took the lid of my rack case that was lined with foam and put it in front of the amp and it cut down on the harshness tremendously. I wouldn't say it really lowered the volume much, but it seemed quieter being less harsh.

walterw likes this.
  6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yep, what you need to do is block the death ray out front!

i like a rack lid or guitar case or whatever about a foot in front of the amp; it still blocks the on-axis treble beam, but still sounds mostly the same to me standing in front of it, where i can still see the speakers behind the baffle.

also, you can get weird bounceback into the mic if the baffle is too close or too reflective (plexi makes no sense to me for this reason); a carpeted lid a foot away has less of that problem.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

See how E-Street Band has their amps set up.
    Stones do the same thing with their small forward stage rig.

8. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

9. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

How about an attenuator? It is true that they have an adverse effect on tone when used to bring a roaring amp down to "bedroom levels," but I've found them to be perfectly fine when used to moderate amounts (such as knocking off a modest amount of dB to bring an amp down to reasonable stage volume).

I use a Weber Mass Lite and love it. Lets me push my amps and dial the output to something more agreeable to the soundman and my bandmates.

10. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

I have and have tried the clearsonic shield and an attenuator. Both have their uses depending on the venue and amps I'm bringing. I used to have a Vox AC30 and in hindsight I was actually fine with the master volume. Also depends if you're playing clean or with a little breakup.

11. jrjones

jrjones Member

Wait. Putting the amp offstage and micing it is a compromise? That's the norm everywhere I play. I prefer it. We use in-ears, and have low stage volume so the mix out front is great and not being fueled by amps blaring. Maybe im missing something here. Sure, in theory it seems like an awesome idea to have your tube amp running wide open onstage, but when you damage your hearing...

12. walterw

agreed! with in-ears that's a great way to have your cranked amp cake and eat your quiet stage volume too.

13. walterw

try it!

that sounds like it could work nicely.

14. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

I usually take an ultimate support low profile amp stand with me and aim it up at me, so that I can play as loud or not loud as I like and not be killing the others. That being said, a couple of weeks ago, i took it off the stand and actually propped the amp up with a beer bottle on it's side, it stayed put and worked fine. It was Too in my face until I tried that.
    I have in the past aimed amps backwards, at the ceiling you name it.

15. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Watched some of the concert. Lol check out 2:28:00 dancing with myself. Invites up a bunch of girls to dance and ends up getting selfies with all of them.

Lol

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

I just posted the E-Street Clip to show their stage set-up.
    I can't afford the bandwidth needed to watch the show.

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I use this in the studio, made by RealTraps. Very lightweight, actually absorbs sound (unlike a plexiglass panel that just bounces sound backwards) so couples nicely with a mic. When not in use on an amp, also acts as a bass trap in the studio for various purposes.

I think it'd work well for live setups where sound control is desired. Assembles via a hinge pin that takes two seconds to connect or disconnect for transport. Comes in several colors as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Blix and SimonGotthelf like this.
  18. walterw

yeah, like that!

i don't see any reason the shield has to be plexi, ain't nobody in the audience gives a damn that they can't see your speaker cab :rolleyes:

19. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Do you remember which product that is? I really like that idea! I play in a few smaller venues and am always afraid I'm beaming someone's head off!

20. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

Looks cool especially for studio use. In my studio I actually hang a blanket over my plexi shield to avoid sound bouncing back in to my mics.
    In my big recording box that I have build in my basement all sides Inside the box is dampened with iso material