Shielded my strat.......but

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rick66, Jun 6, 2006.

1. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

i used heavy duty aluminum foil on the pickguard and copper conductive tape for the cavity. is this ok, or do i need to redo the pickguard in copper tape too? (i used the guitarnuts shielding steps and i didn't see anywhere where this would create a problem.) thanks in advance for your help.

2. has-sound

has-sound Member

Copper is a much more efficient shield but aluminum foil works well too.

-Stan

3. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

They both work well. The key for copper shielding is that you can solder to it (i.e. your ground), unlike aluminum foil. You'll be fine.

4. K-man

K-man Member

Has anyone actually gotten rid of all the hum doing this? Mine certainly hums less after shielding, but it still hums.

5. has-sound

has-sound Member

I don't believe there is such a thing as a totally hum-free guitar. Nothing works 100% but every little bit that you do helps!

-Stan

6. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Like HAS said, it's to reduce hum, and RFI not completely eliminate it.

7. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

mine still hums but only with the amp really opened up (and with a fuzz). seems to be a bit quieter. really, i did this for the experience of learning how to take apart the guitar and then get it back together.

an electrician said the different metals in contact would oxidize? is that possible?

8. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

gets rid of the buzz though

HJ

9. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member

Aluminum and copper will corrode each other, particularly if you work up a good sweat when playing, or commit the unforgiveable sin of spilling booze on the guitar. Give it a few months, then lift the pickguard and check. If there's no corrosion, leave it be.

Peter.

10. K-man

K-man Member

Aluminum and copper can corrode each other, it's called galvanic corrosion. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is more of an issue in harsh environments.

I could be wrong, but just about everybody who shields a guitar uses aluminum on the pickguard and copper paint or tape on the body cavities. I've never heard of anyone having corrosion issues between the two.

11. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Shielding does not reduce hum.

Shielding reduces buzz. These are not the same thing - 'hum' is smooth-sounding, 60Hz (50 in Europe), magnetic induction interference directly picked up by the pickup coils. The only way to completely eliminate this is to use humbucking pickups. (You could also use 'mu-metal' shielding, but that would also stop the pickups working.) 'Buzz' is rough-sounding 120Hz (100 in Europe), electric field interference, and can definitely be reduced by shielding.

'Star' grounding can reduce some extra hum caused by ground-path issues, but these aren't usually as serious anyway. You can tell which is which by turning the guitar round - if the hum is directional, it's magnetic induction.

(There is also occasionally 120Hz buzz which is magnetic in nature, usually from switch-mode power supplies, but you can still tell it's magnetic since it's also directional. Shielding won't help for this either.)

12. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I agree with John, as I previously posted. But I usually get shot down by others that feel it will reduce 60 cycle hum as well.

Personally I tried star grounding as well, and found no reduction in hum or buzz, although my guitar was already totally grounded with soldered copper foil tape.

HJ

13. alderbody

alderbody Member

My strats are copper foil shielded and this way i reduced the buzzing.

But when i removed the "excessive" shielding i initially applied some years ago, i noticed that my tone breathed more freely, while the buzzing noise remained at the same levels as before...

which means, too much shelding could steal some usefull top-end ("air") from your tone. (some say that it's the extra capacitance to ground that is created by the shield)

What i removed was the pickup cavity shielding and the extra shielding at the back of the pickguard.

I guess my (already shielded) WCR SR pickups didn't need anything extra.

I would suggest not to do things when they are not 100% necessary...

14. HarryJ

HarryJ Member