Shielding Copper tape or Paint?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ASATlove, May 8, 2016.

1. ASATlove

ASATlove Member

OK,

I have shielded about 10 guitars now. Four with paint and six with copper tape. Although it is a TOTAL P.I.T.A., I find that the tape works WAY better than the paint....... What say you?????

rufedges likes this.
  2. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

Have both. Tape has given me better overall results and it's way easier to fix a screw up on.

3. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

tape. The paint is never truly perfect, IMHO.

4. -CM-

-CM- Something Clever Here Silver Supporting Member

I've used both. The paint from Stewmac is very conductive, and I found that it's very easy to use and covers cavities very well. But copper tape id the way to go for the backs of covers.

5. Quarter

Quarter Member

For shielding paint, I like MG Chemicals 841 Super Shield Nickel Conductive Coating. It is better than the carbon based stuff like Stewmac sells and being in a spray can is handy too.
    If the nozzle gets plugged up between uses, a quick soak in some acetone cleans it right up.
    Shake well, and give it a couple shakes between passes. It has a lot of metal in it and you want to keep it stirred up when using.

6. ASATlove

ASATlove Member

Quarter; I might look for the 841 super shield in the future. All I have used is the Stewmac stuff. Not impressed with it..........

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

The tape is reversible and non toxic.

ASATlove likes this.
  8. LReese

LReese Member

I use conductive cloth tape. Easier on the fingers.

ASATlove likes this.
  9. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I like the copper tape because it's shiny.

10. copperhead

copperhead Member

I've shielded dozens of guitars with copper foil tape.applied it right over the shielding paint cause it was not doing the job .

ASATlove likes this.
  11. ASATlove

ASATlove Member

Copperhead: Interesting thought............. Never thought of doing this for some reason( laziness?). Will do this on the paint shielded guitars I have done...

12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

this is the right answer!

with one fast-drying coat the stuff is way more conductive than the messy, tedious, slow-drying graphite paint; i'll never use that crap again.

with two coats it's as conductive as the laborious, time-consuming copper shielding; i'll never use that crap again either.

ten minutes to thoroughly mask up the guitar for spray-painting the cavities, one minute to go outside and do the spraying, five minutes to dry enough to proceed to install pots and such.

it's not even close.

13. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

I just ordered a roll of copper tape. Will post a review when done shielding.

14. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

You guys who have better results with tape than with shielding paint: are you putting on more than one coat? Two is considered minimum; three is recommended.

15. stratamania

stratamania Member

That shielding spray for $30 odd dollars looked a good deal till I looked for it on Amazon UK, £96.90 that's about $140

I need to find a similar product at a better price in the UK I think, if anyone knows of one please post it.

16. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

I've always gone the tape route. Not only does it seem to work better, I think it looks great seconds before it gets covered up.