Shielding for NOOBS - fixing whine in my delay pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benyamin5, Jan 23, 2015.

1. benyamin5

benyamin5 Member

Hi everybody, after making my NOOB apologies and disclaimers, I am trying to fix my favorite delay pedal, which is a lowly Vox Time Machine. I don't know why I like it so much, I just do. Problem is, it has always had a high pitched whine in the background, unsure of the exact frequency, but it's up there pretty high to where it is greatly reduced by turning off the bright switch, but still present. Anyways, from reading and researching, it seems like perhaps the clock noise is bleeding into the circuit. I am under the impression that if I go in and beef up the shielding on a few choice wires, or check the ground connections, perhaps I can reduce or eliminate this. Where do I purchase proper shielding for this application? Can I use tinfoil from my kitchen drawer? What other major NOOB questions can I ask? That's all I can think of....

2. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

are you running off of a daisy chain or isolated power supply?

3. benyamin5

benyamin5 Member

Daisy chain... However I have tried it straight into the wall using a boss adapter and still hear a whine. It does seem to increase or decrease slightly though depending on what other effects are on the daisy chain...

4. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

can it run off batteries or no?

5. Lpmusicservices

Lpmusicservices Member

Isolate everything first before shielding. Does it happen without guitar turned up or plugged in? Decent cables and good power should be the cure. My old DD20 would do that when daisy chained. Pedal Power 2 solved it for good.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yep try a battery 1st and see if problem goes away, if it does then that will point to some kind of power issue.

Also make sure battery snap is not touching casing if it's not being used, wrap it in electrical te ect if needed.

Also could be you just have dirty power at wall plate. Get good power strip.
    [​IMG]