shielding my tele cavity

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by teleking36, Nov 21, 2005.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

How much does shielding help noise reduction? I was thinkin' of buying some of that shielding tape from Stew Mac and lining my control and pickup cavities with it, but is it worth it? Does it alter the sound at all?

2. axpro

axpro Member

Shielding shouldn't change the "tone" of the instrument, but less noise is always good. The key is to be as careful and thorough as possible... Shield the control cavity, pickup cavities, carry grounds between, use shielded wire for any long stretches.

All that being said, even a really good shielding job will not make a noisy situation dead quiet IT would be better to not have a CRT monitor in front of you, that to try and shield well enough that it wouldn't cause noise. Eliminate Fluorescent lighting where you are playing/practicing, have good quality shielded cables, with as short a run as possible. When i am working on an inexpensive instrument for myself or a friend, shielding is big on my list, but I don't expect it to change the world.

DAve Mc

3. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I also started shielding guitar cavities with copper foil till I tried Stewmac's conductive paint and never looked back, much easier to apply (especially in narrow cavities) and equally effective. Just make sure you do apply two coats as recommended. I do still use copper foil for pickguards and cavity covers, I find it more convenient there.

Also, as Dave said, no matter which method you use, don't forget to connect all shields together and to ground, a shielded pickup cavity with no ground connection (as you see on some "project" guitars) has very little effect on noise reduction.

4. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

how do i ground the shielding tape?

5. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

Solder a wire to it and then solder that wire to the ground of your pots.

6. axpro

axpro Member

I totally forgot about paint!

DOH!!!

IN my defence, I am in canada, and can't get Stew MAc to send it to me (hazzardous goods, they won't ship it across the border!) so it has been a long time since i had some shielding paint... and it tasted so good.... mmmm lead paint....
    But no matter what you use, again I can't stress enough, take the time and be careful. If you really really work it, it'll cut noise, if you rush it, it don't work so good.

Dave Mc