Shielding Strat pup covers.... ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by AndrewSimon, Apr 10, 2008.

1. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Shielding Strat pup covers... will it f*ck up the tone?

Any help/ideas are welcomed.

;)

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

Yes, it will definitely effect the tone, and it won't eliminate the hum either. With any electrically continuous shielding the RF will still induce eddy currents in the shielding material, which in turn will reproduce the electrical noise on the other side to some degree. In a body cavity this is not so big a deal because the shielding is not immediately adjacent to a coil. In the case of the pickup covers the shielding would be right next to the coil, as well as within the field of the magnets and affect a movement in them as well. Shielding can be broken or slotted to interrupt the eddy currents, but it will still effect the tone a bit and not be greatly effective in cutting hum.

In other words, it will muffle some highs or make them a little less bright, and still won't kill the hum. Many have played with the idea (including myself) but it's not proven to work that well.

3. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Thanks...
    OK back to plan B.. Suhr backplate.

:FM

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

John Suhr schooled me on shielding covers and coils once and it was a good lesson. The BPSSC is really the only way to go if that's what you need. Your pickups all have to be the same wind and polarity for it to work though. If your middle pickup is RWRP you'll need another neck type of pup.

5. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Thanks

I had Barden pups in my Strat, it's simply silent (more then my humbuckers in the LP), amazing dynamic range, sustain forever.... but no mojo.

So now I put Antiquity Surf in there, plenty of mojo but I can't stand the noise!
    Deep down I knew I'll end up with a Suhr backplate so no RWRP and they are all 6.3K (basically I made sure it's backplate ready)
    I also did very good shielding and star grounding.

My question is, how effective is the backplate?
    I don't expect it to be as silent as the Bardens but will it be as silent as... let's say an unpotted PAF?

I can live with the lower dynamic range but I really miss the sustain that the Bardens were giving me.... any tips on how to increase sustain?
    I was eyeballing Callaham trems... will that help sustain?

Thanks, if all fails I'll go back to the Bardens.... but I really don't want to!
    :confused:

6. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

John Suhr's system is +1.
    I also have had good tones minus the noise with DiMarzio Virtual Vintage stacked PU's.

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

The BPSSC knocks out @ 80% of the noise - that's pretty good for a drop in system. I don't hear much if any effect on the tone of the guitar.

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Suhr backplate, especially because you can calibrate it to your particular instrument.

Also, the Callaham trem block is a no brainer to add sustain and note clarity. Glendale also makes them in steel and brass varietys should you be so inclined.