Shin-ei Uni-Vibe clone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AXEnGEAR4J, Apr 3, 2018.

1. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Member

There are so many Uni-Vibe units out there today, Fulltone being one of the favorites, not sure about MXR and others.

Has anyone done their due diligence to find a vibe pedal that recreates the original
    Shin-ei Uni-Vibe?

2. Highway Chile

Highway Chile Member

3. mondo500

mondo500 Member

I'd imagine the Vibe Bro by the resurrected Shin-ei would be worth a look...

johnetone likes this.
  4. moj067

moj067 Member

Unique Vibe. Not cheap, but due diligence costs some scratch.

johnetone likes this.
  5. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

Classic Amplification Vibe Baby. Costs a fraction of what it cost for a Vibe Bro or Unique Vibe and built by the foremost expert on restoring original Shin Ei Univibes.

DonaldDemon and johnetone like this.
  6. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Several have been around for a while that have copied the circuit. Usually not to the exact spec….but very close. Power supply is one thing that might not be the same. The Original Univibe ran off 24 V with the transformer inside. Many offerings today, use 9,12 or 18 volt wall wart power supply

Does it make a difference? Maybe!

The Unique Vibe looks to me to be as close to exact as anyone has built. Enclosure too. One of the few highly regarding Vibe creations I have not tried.

A short list of great units that I have tried that really come close to capturing the authentic Univibe sound.

1. Old large white box Fulltone (much different than the mini DV)

2. Classic Amplification “Vibe Baby”

3. Castledine

4. KR Mgavibe

5. Bob Sweet Ultra Vibe

I could list 4-5 others.

The Shin-Ei Vibe Bro however was the hands down winner for me. I did A/B testing of all the above plus several others with a stellar sounding original 68/69. The Vibe Bro was the only one that could have fooled me in a blind fold test. Seriously, it is that good!

With many of the very close sounding pedals like the ones mentioned above, there were subtle differences…something not quite right, or missing or there that should not have been….the Vibe Bro just had all of the right elements.

There are a lot of very good choices and it depends how picky you are and how much coin one wants to drop….me, I was overly picky! The Univibe was one of those pedals that sent me deep down the rabbit hole!

tinkercity, AXEnGEAR4J and johnetone like this.
  7. johnetone

johnetone Member

MAGIC!!! You ask a question and the first three answers are all correct and helpful!

Edit: Make that 4! The Vibe-Bro sounds like a great one @bluesoul

This one looks awesome!

This builder also makes something called a Shiftee that is not a replica, but sounds as awesome! It is substantially less expensive and I am on the list!

A lot of people are very into this one too.

The last one I would recommend would be the FoxRox Aquavibe. I'm a big fan of Dave's work, and he is also an expert in repairing originals. It is a great one!

8. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

I saw something on Instagram that there is an exact replica coming out. Supposedly made by the original engineer. I'll try to find it and post it here.

johnetone likes this.
  9. Advisable Owl

Advisable Owl Member

Just a head up, I've found Univibes only really come alive with some volume.

bluesoul likes this.
  10. bluesoul

I expect a full in depth report on my desk within 24 hours after receiving it:)

johnetone likes this.
  11. bluesoul

12. exodus

exodus Member

+1. I have a Unique Vibe. The only thing he didn't clone was part of the silkscreen name... he put "Unique" instead of "Uni." That's it. Literally down to the screws. I've looked under the hood and it has the same Japanese transistors, same brown circuit board, same circuit trace, same power unit (except it is a 3 prong power cord...I can live with that). Same functionality (not true bypass, speed foot control must be plugged in, etc)... same size (which is very large). And, it sounds amazing. I still have my Megavibe and a Castledine Supra Vibe, both excellent as well, and have tried everything else mentioned, except the Vibe Bro (I'd like to try it). Certainly, if the Unique was only about looking the part but sounded ho-hum, it would be gone, particularly given its size and cost. But, it stays on my board.

I think your referencing the Korg NuVibe that came out a while back. The original univibe designer supposedly worked on it. If so, it bears virtually no resemblance to an original. I had one for a week, and it was an overwhelming disappointment.

massacre, johnetone and bxlxaxkxe like this.
  13. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Member

Vibe-Bro currently out of stock $799 :eek:

14. morrissey007

morrissey007 Supporting Member

No mention for the Dry Bell Vibe?

I've tried numerous; Dry Bell, MXR, Digitech Ventura, but the one that I've settled on and REALLY surprised me, costs £60 is the New Nux Mini Core Monterey, I love it, mini profile, low cost, Programmable via USB, bloody superb! Fully Digital. Switchable between Univibe and Vibrato, Tap Tempo too!
    here's a taste....

Nux have really upped their game with their new mini core series, they've moved out of the cheap, mediocre to much higher spec kit, but their prices are stunning. I Highly recommend you watch lots of videos on this pedal, I did....and bought it. My UniVibe search is over.

songtalk and AXEnGEAR4J like this.
  15. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

It's awesome. Trust me.

I really only know of 2 current production true clones: The Unique Vibe and the Vibe Bro. I seem to recall that even the Vibe Bro has some "adjustments," while the Unique Vibe is a dead nuts replica (But I'm no expert- just from what I've been told and read).

johnetone and bluesoul like this.
  16. bluesoul

I do trust you! There has been enough discussion about the Unique Vibe from those who I have found to be credible in the past that I pretty much take those opinions at face value! It's great to see that builder offer a version that stays under 400.00!

BTW...the Vibe Bro does have a modern feature... a switch on the rear that allows the user to choose true BP or non TBP.
    One interesting thing I think happens and there has been some discussion about....a few parts needed for a Univibe build are obsolete. The builder has to source parts and needs a good ear to determine how well something is going to work. So simply "cloning" a pedal might require more than following schematic!

johnetone, bxlxaxkxe and AXEnGEAR4J like this.
  17. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

That's a great point.

On a related note: It's always interesting to me how different builders' products always have a signature sound to them, even across different effect styles, etc. Barbers always have a certain something, as well as Fulltones, Diamonds, etc. I hear these signatures as the builder's ear. I like some guys' ears better than others.

johnetone and bluesoul like this.
  18. johnetone

johnetone Member

He tentatively predicted May as a possible time for completion. Jim is working on his backlog of Unique Vibes first. I have my moolah set aside. So now we wait!

bluesoul and bxlxaxkxe like this.
  19. morrissey007

morrissey007 Supporting Member

No love for the nux monterey I suggested then!