• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Shin-ei Vibe-Bro

guitarzdude

Ive had at least five or six KR musical pedals! IVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! They sound good but not reliable at all!

Vibe baby or CV2 is the winner to me too specially for the price and size!

brain21

Try the JAM Retro Vibe?
Nope. I wasn't really a fan of the demos I heard. Of course I know to try it out in person regardless, but I never had the opportunity. And I think it's a bit pricey at over $300 compared to some of the other available options.

I am a fan of Jam Pedals though - I just got a Red Muck recently.

Fredrocks

Mr Mayer (who just finished making me a Visage Fuzz and sent it off to me yesterday!! Woot!) might agree.

=====----->> YMMV <<-----=====
I like his Voodoo Vibe Jr too, but I got that for free, but I still think it sounds cool. I was car accident about a week after I got my Vibe Baby CV2 last year, so I haven't been able to play the thing, or my guitars, and it is killing me: the wreck didn't do much for me either. Now to why I actually am posting: did you get your Visage Fuzz from Mr Mayer? I always like getting my pedals from the maker(I collect pedals), as that way they get more of what they deserve, but I haven't seen a way to purchase from his site. I did see that I can get one shipped from Germany for $50 less than buying in the US though. It is amazing to me that product from the UK still costs the same in the US after Brixit.

Last edited:

brain21

Not directly. He has his set of dealers. I talked to a dealer in the UK (they have a store on Reverb). They deal with him directly. I contacted them and said that I wanted to place an order (I didn't know that they dealt with him directly). They said that they were going to talk to him and put in an order for a few pedals, and would have him make a visage fuzz for me. Then after just over a month I got an email that stated:

"The ever illusive Roger Mayer is in the shop as we speak, he's dropped of a lovely big bag full of his pedals. There's a Visage here with your name on it"

From what I can tell Mayer made only 2 Visage fuzzes in this run; 1 for me (or for the shop to sell to me), and 1 for their inventory. The other one is still available for sale on their reverb page. So, it was not direct from Mr. Mayer, but about as close as you can get. A middle man, but he still made it for me on a custom/on-demand order basis. :)

I'm smacking myself for not asking them to have him sign the bottom plate!!!

If you want their other Visage, it's currently $260 (price fluctuates with the exchange rate - yesterday it was $263 and change), and about $40 shipping from the UK to the US. I worked with David. They were great and super easy to deal with. :)

https://reverb.com/item/4662363-roger-mayer-visage-fuzz

Sorry, back to vibes and the Vibe-Bro! I didn't mean to hijack here. :)https://reverb.com/item/4662363-roger-mayer-visage-fuzz

Last edited:

Fredrocks

Not directly. He has his set of dealers. I talked to a dealer in the UK (they have a store on Reverb). They deal with him directly. I contacted them and said that I wanted to place an order (I didn't know that they dealt with him directly). They said that they were going to talk to him and put in an order for a few pedals, and would have him make a visage fuzz for me. Then after just over a month I got an email that stated:

"The ever illusive Roger Mayer is in the shop as we speak, he's dropped of a lovely big bag full of his pedals. There's a Visage here with your name on it"

From what I can tell Mayer made only 2 Visage fuzzes in this run; 1 for me (or for the shop to sell to me), and 1 for their inventory. The other one is still available for sale on their reverb page. So, it was not direct from Mr. Mayer, but about as close as you can get. A middle man, but he still made it for me on a custom/on-demand order basis. :)

That is pretty cool. One wouldn't think that someone like him would still be building the pedals. Contact him through his site, and see if he will send you a signed plate. The worst he could do is say no.

Fredrocks

If you want their other Visage, it's currently $260 (price fluctuates with the exchange rate - yesterday it was $263 and change), and about $40 shipping from the UK to the US. I worked with David. They were great and super easy to deal with. :)

Sorry, back to vibes and the Vibe-Bro! I didn't mean to hijack here. :)
My turn to hijack, nothing new, but have you ever dealt with Thomann in Germany? I have found that many things built in the UK cost less if it comes from them in Germany first. For example here is the fuzz pedal https://www.thomannmusic.com/roger_mayer_visage_fuzz.htm?ref=search_prv_10
With shipping(as of now of course)it ends up being $285.45 shipped, and they have them in stock, so the only thing you need to wait for is customs. An Orange DIVO OV4 will cost over $170 less than in the states, and you still get the warranty.

brain21

Just looked there. Currently $253 + ~$33 shipping, plus VAT. That's $286 plus VAT, so in the end the price is not THAT much lower than what I paid (right at $300, incl. shipping and VAT). Probably the only reason there is a price difference at all is Euro vs Pound, and the Pound is currently stronger I believe.

However, this is good to know for future reference! (to bring it back) The Jam Pedals Retro Vibe is $259 there. It's like $325 in the states!

Fredrocks

Just looked there. Currently $253 + ~$33 shipping, plus VAT. That's $286 plus VAT, so in the end the price is not THAT much lower than what I paid (right at $300, incl. shipping and VAT). Probably the only reason there is a price difference at all is Euro vs Pound, and the Pound is currently stronger I believe.

However, this is good to know for future reference! (to bring it back) The Jam Pedals Retro Vibe is $259 there. It's like $325 in the states!
You don't have to pay VAT in the US. Where are you located?

bluesoul

I know Lance (Wichita) has had both...mentioned it somewhere back. As I recall he did not really say much other than both were pretty outstanding.

brain21

You don't have to pay VAT in the US. Where are you located?
What I meant was that they didn't include VAT in the price it looks like? As far as my understanding goes, the seller has to pay VAT - it is a local tax. Generally the VAT is included in the price, so if I buy something from Germany and the price is Eu 50, that advertised price is "tax included" and so you pay that Eu 50 no matter where you are buying from. On Thomann they say that the price does not include VAT.

Now, it could be that I'm a little mixed up on this. It's been 2 years since I've had to deal with this kind of stuff, but that seems to be what I remember. If that is all correct, then Thomann would still have to add the VAT back into the price of the item (since VAT is a local sales tax). Again, could be completely wrong here.

brain21

I feel in this thread that it is very important to note that the Vibe-Baby is (that I know of) the ONLY Vibe pedal that is Savalas-approved! :p

I therefore put forth the question, would you rather have a vibe that is Savalas-approved, or frat-boy/red-solo-cup-approved? I know my answer! :D

Fredrocks

What I meant was that they didn't include VAT in the price it looks like? As far as my understanding goes, the seller has to pay VAT - it is a local tax. Generally the VAT is included in the price, so if I buy something from Germany and the price is Eu 50, that advertised price is "tax included" and so you pay that Eu 50 no matter where you are buying from. On Thomann they say that the price does not include VAT.

Now, it could be that I'm a little mixed up on this. It's been 2 years since I've had to deal with this kind of stuff, but that seems to be what I remember. If that is all correct, then Thomann would still have to add the VAT back into the price of the item (since VAT is a local sales tax). Again, could be completely wrong here.
The VAT is only applied if the purchase goes someplace that has the VAT. I frequently buy things from the UK and EU, and they don't charge the VAT, because it is coming to the US. I had to buy a main board for my TSL100 not too long ago, and I saved more than I paid for it with shipping by getting if from hotroxuk.com. On top of being much less expensive, I didn't have to wait as long as the US distributors said I would.

2octup

I know Honey Shin-ei is in Austin, TX, but I don't know where they are manufactured. According to Google Maps the location listed on the Honey Shin-ei website is a self-storage site with a few business suites. They aren't listed, but that is no surprise since they are just getting started, but I seriously doubt there is room for manufacturing the product their. Hiwatt USA is also located at that address AND the same suite. Hmmm.
Most of the first 100 were made in my kitchen in Austin Texas.

2octup

DBII says Vibe-Bro is the closest to the original
Someone here says no, the unique vibe is.

No one said that DBII tried the Unique Vibe, or any of the others mentioned here. All we can assume is that he has heard/played an original, has heard/played more than 1 non-original, 1 of those is the vibe-bro, and the Vibe-Bro is the closest to the original OF THOSE THAT HE TRIED.

He is not making a definitive statement, he is making a subjective one, and for our purposes there is zero context here, and we should not infer any either.

It could very well be that if he heard the UV he would change his mind. It could also very well be that he HAS heard the UV, and *in his opinion* the VB is the closest. But we don't know, so we should probably shy away from making assumptions either way.

That goes for ALL of the celebrity endorsements. I don't care if it is Trower or Marino, grain of salt.
I personally made Doyle’s. The current ones are different.

exodus

Has anyone here directly compared the Unique-Vibe to the Vibe-Bro?
I have the Unique Vibe...but don't have the Vibe-Bro, so I can't directly answer your question. I've also never played a vintage unit, so I lack that area of experience as well. However, when I listen to live performances with vintage units (mainly Hendrix recordings) and then go play my rig, the Unique Vibe just nails what I think it should sound like. Many great units are 99% there, imo, but this one really is the last percent. And, you pay for it.

The YouTube vids of the Vibe-Bro sound excellent and I'd love to try one out. I'd buy one outright just to A/B them and keep one. (Admittedly, the "vintage replica" factor of the Unique Vibe does have a hold on me, albeit the unit is entirely huge and somewhat impractical in today's age). From the videos I've seen/listened to, the Vibe-Bro does seem to have a bit of a different tone to it. Subtle though. The other problem is that every video I watch has a bunch of other effects mixed in.

Trending Topics