Shin-ei Vibe-Bro

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ruiner, Feb 22, 2016.

1. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

I have not tried that one.

2. guitarzdude

guitarzdude Member

Ive had at least five or six KR musical pedals! IVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! They sound good but not reliable at all!

Vibe baby or CV2 is the winner to me too specially for the price and size!

3. brain21

brain21 Member

Nope. I wasn't really a fan of the demos I heard. Of course I know to try it out in person regardless, but I never had the opportunity. And I think it's a bit pricey at over $300 compared to some of the other available options.

I am a fan of Jam Pedals though - I just got a Red Muck recently.

4. Fredrocks

Fredrocks Member

I like his Voodoo Vibe Jr too, but I got that for free, but I still think it sounds cool. I was car accident about a week after I got my Vibe Baby CV2 last year, so I haven't been able to play the thing, or my guitars, and it is killing me: the wreck didn't do much for me either. Now to why I actually am posting: did you get your Visage Fuzz from Mr Mayer? I always like getting my pedals from the maker(I collect pedals), as that way they get more of what they deserve, but I haven't seen a way to purchase from his site. I did see that I can get one shipped from Germany for $50 less than buying in the US though. It is amazing to me that product from the UK still costs the same in the US after Brixit.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    2octup likes this.
  5. brain21

brain21 Member

Not directly. He has his set of dealers. I talked to a dealer in the UK (they have a store on Reverb). They deal with him directly. I contacted them and said that I wanted to place an order (I didn't know that they dealt with him directly). They said that they were going to talk to him and put in an order for a few pedals, and would have him make a visage fuzz for me. Then after just over a month I got an email that stated:

"The ever illusive Roger Mayer is in the shop as we speak, he's dropped of a lovely big bag full of his pedals. There's a Visage here with your name on it"

From what I can tell Mayer made only 2 Visage fuzzes in this run; 1 for me (or for the shop to sell to me), and 1 for their inventory. The other one is still available for sale on their reverb page. So, it was not direct from Mr. Mayer, but about as close as you can get. A middle man, but he still made it for me on a custom/on-demand order basis. :)

I'm smacking myself for not asking them to have him sign the bottom plate!!!

If you want their other Visage, it's currently $260 (price fluctuates with the exchange rate - yesterday it was $263 and change), and about $40 shipping from the UK to the US. I worked with David. They were great and super easy to deal with. :)

https://reverb.com/item/4662363-roger-mayer-visage-fuzz

Sorry, back to vibes and the Vibe-Bro! I didn't mean to hijack here. :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    2octup and Fredrocks like this.
  6. Fredrocks

Fredrocks Member

That is pretty cool. One wouldn't think that someone like him would still be building the pedals. Contact him through his site, and see if he will send you a signed plate. The worst he could do is say no.

brain21 likes this.
  7. Fredrocks

Fredrocks Member

My turn to hijack, nothing new, but have you ever dealt with Thomann in Germany? I have found that many things built in the UK cost less if it comes from them in Germany first. For example here is the fuzz pedal https://www.thomannmusic.com/roger_mayer_visage_fuzz.htm?ref=search_prv_10
    With shipping(as of now of course)it ends up being $285.45 shipped, and they have them in stock, so the only thing you need to wait for is customs. An Orange DIVO OV4 will cost over $170 less than in the states, and you still get the warranty.

8. brain21

brain21 Member

Just looked there. Currently $253 + ~$33 shipping, plus VAT. That's $286 plus VAT, so in the end the price is not THAT much lower than what I paid (right at $300, incl. shipping and VAT). Probably the only reason there is a price difference at all is Euro vs Pound, and the Pound is currently stronger I believe.

However, this is good to know for future reference! (to bring it back) The Jam Pedals Retro Vibe is $259 there. It's like $325 in the states!

9. Fredrocks

Fredrocks Member

You don't have to pay VAT in the US. Where are you located?

TwoToneGreen likes this.
  10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Has anyone here directly compared the Unique-Vibe to the Vibe-Bro?

Plexico likes this.
  11. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

I know Lance (Wichita) has had both...mentioned it somewhere back. As I recall he did not really say much other than both were pretty outstanding.

12. brain21

brain21 Member

What I meant was that they didn't include VAT in the price it looks like? As far as my understanding goes, the seller has to pay VAT - it is a local tax. Generally the VAT is included in the price, so if I buy something from Germany and the price is Eu 50, that advertised price is "tax included" and so you pay that Eu 50 no matter where you are buying from. On Thomann they say that the price does not include VAT.

Now, it could be that I'm a little mixed up on this. It's been 2 years since I've had to deal with this kind of stuff, but that seems to be what I remember. If that is all correct, then Thomann would still have to add the VAT back into the price of the item (since VAT is a local sales tax). Again, could be completely wrong here.

13. brain21

brain21 Member

I feel in this thread that it is very important to note that the Vibe-Baby is (that I know of) the ONLY Vibe pedal that is Savalas-approved! :p

[​IMG]

I therefore put forth the question, would you rather have a vibe that is Savalas-approved, or frat-boy/red-solo-cup-approved? I know my answer! :D

Fredrocks likes this.
  14. Fredrocks

Fredrocks Member

The VAT is only applied if the purchase goes someplace that has the VAT. I frequently buy things from the UK and EU, and they don't charge the VAT, because it is coming to the US. I had to buy a main board for my TSL100 not too long ago, and I saved more than I paid for it with shipping by getting if from hotroxuk.com. On top of being much less expensive, I didn't have to wait as long as the US distributors said I would.

15. 2octup

2octup Member

Most of the first 100 were made in my kitchen in Austin Texas.

mxk116 likes this.
  16. 2octup

2octup Member

I personally made Doyle’s. The current ones are different.

Jim Marciano likes this.
  17. glynomes

glynomes Member

As long as there are idiots with money, there will be Justin Harrison & Music Ground to throw it at

18. exodus

exodus Member

I have the Unique Vibe...but don't have the Vibe-Bro, so I can't directly answer your question. I've also never played a vintage unit, so I lack that area of experience as well. However, when I listen to live performances with vintage units (mainly Hendrix recordings) and then go play my rig, the Unique Vibe just nails what I think it should sound like. Many great units are 99% there, imo, but this one really is the last percent. And, you pay for it.

The YouTube vids of the Vibe-Bro sound excellent and I'd love to try one out. I'd buy one outright just to A/B them and keep one. (Admittedly, the "vintage replica" factor of the Unique Vibe does have a hold on me, albeit the unit is entirely huge and somewhat impractical in today's age). From the videos I've seen/listened to, the Vibe-Bro does seem to have a bit of a different tone to it. Subtle though. The other problem is that every video I watch has a bunch of other effects mixed in.

jm9239 likes this.
  19. 2octup

2octup Member

Yep

20. TheRealBaboon

TheRealBaboon Member

What do you mean? Are the Vibe Bros he is selling not legit?

2octup likes this.