ShinyBox Ribbon Mic's!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by muddy, Dec 14, 2005.

1. muddy

muddy Member

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Why am I going to kiss you?

Are you giving them to me? Awwww... !! You're so sweet!

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

They're re-branded under many names. Nady, Apex, etc. I have a Nady version but have been recommending the Shinybox version because it has an xlr jack, while the Nady has an attached cable.

You can "tune" it by removing more or less stuff surrounding the ribbon. The more you remove, the more open the sound will be but you run the risk of damage from air currents, so use a pop filter & cover it when moving it around. Add closed-cell foam to the lower chamber.

I have other ribbons so I left mine stock for a darker tone.

4. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

Does the XLR cable on the Shinybox version get in the way of aiming the mic?

Thanks,

Nick

5. muddy

muddy Member

aw, that's a bit disappointing. he should REALLY say so on his site (unless i just missed it). doesn't mean it can't be any good, as it's SOMEWHAT akin to sorting nos toobs. i do like the optional makes of trannies, though. i liked the clip of the lundahl-equipped one compared to the rest. so where are they made, russia?

ml

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Well, I am a total noob to recording, but I really don't get the whole ribbon thing (at least the cheap ones). For the $325 that the 346L costs, you can get a LDC like an Audio Techinca AT4040 which is much more versatile (with $$$ left over for a good cable). I thought that the AT4040 sounded incredible on acoustic, and much better than the demo of the Shiney Box, but as I said, I am a noob, and am probably missing the big picture of how it would work in the mix.

7. TAVD

They're made in China and he's up front about it (if you ask him). The same factory makes those other mics I mentioned but there's supposedly some very minor changes spec'd for the shinybox. The xlr jack for one. Based on the clips, the Lundahl was my fav also. I really hate that it's made in China but politics aside, it's a great mic.

8. covert

covert Member

The Shiny Box mics aren't "rebranded" as anything. They are made in teh same factory as several other brands. What primarily sets them apart is the options on transformers.

As for choices between ribbons and condensers, it's a taste thing.

Historically, ribbons were the mic of choice in studios, until the advanced condensers from Neumann and AKG began to filter in from europe. The boosted high end on these complimented the losses that tape and other factors caused. In the digital age, many of these mics, and their derivatives come across as hyped in the high end, and ribbons often don't.

9. TAVD

10. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

You can get a demo CD from Royer that shows off their ribbon mics on lots of different sources. For some things, a ribbon microphone is perfect at getting "that sound." I got the CD for free by going through www.gearslutz.com .

Bryan

11. muddy

muddy Member

that's a GREAT cd, & a real eye-opener! honestly, i think there's a real magical (and very musical) quality ribbons lend to the recording of guitar cabs. and they can be wonderful on vocals. i'm a big fan of ribbon mic's.

ml

12. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I've never really liked recording with ribbons, including the Royers, for anything but guitar cabs and horns. Ribbons roll off a bit of high end, so they tend to tame the harshness you can get with sources like cabs and horns. They're nice in those applications.

I'd rather spend the $ on a good condenser any day, however.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

good companion to my KSM32?

what say you sages of the tape?

14. muddy

muddy Member

for someone with a very small to no mic collection to speak of, i'd have to agree. but if you've got a decent selection of condensers & dynamics, you owe it to yourself to own some ribbons. a pair of matched coles 4038's for room mic's is a beautiful thing.

ml

15. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>for someone with a very small to no mic collection to speak of, i'd have to agree. but if you've got a decent selection of condensers & dynamics, you owe it to yourself to own some ribbons. a pair of matched coles 4038's for room mic's is a beautiful thing.<<

I've actually got a very nice selection of mics...some high end, some low, some condensers, some dynamics.

I had a Royer in the studio for a while, but just couldn't relate to its sound. To each his/her own, eh?

16. Greggy

Greggy Member

I see the max. SPL is 165 db. Am I to assume that this mic is tough enough for guitar cab applications? I'm always hesitant to put a ribbon in front of a screaming cab.

17. TAVD

I've tried it in front of a few cabs, no problem.

18. Greggy

Greggy Member

Were you satisfied tonally? Mixwise? I already own the SM57 and the e609 silver, so got the usual bases covered. Thanks.

19. TAVD

Honestly, I don't remember what it sounded like on the guitar amp. I did try it on a b-15 with a jazz bass and it gave me a huge low end but between the 15" and ribbon, it lacked punch. Worked well on a 10" bass speaker though. I'll have to revisit the guitar amps and get back to you.

20. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

I agree entirely. The only time i'm truly happy with ribbons is if i'm cutting a horn section with some RCA 77s. Other than that, i just dont care for the sound.