• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Shipping a bolt-on guitar: Whole vs just body

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
I've got a G&L Legacy (Strat-style, 3 bolt neck) that I want some pickup work done on. The company only needs the body, but I've got a hard case (+ outside box) that I can ship the whole thing in. Is that better than taking the neck off and just shipping the body? If I take then neck off, will it need a set-up/adjustment when I bolt it back on or does that joint stay stable?

milli vanilli

What kind of pickup work? Just curious. And I'd ask them what they recommend. I don't know how they would set the height or poles correctly if they can't play it...

straycat113

When you say "The Company" are you stating G&L advised you to ship the guitar this way? I kind of find that a little hard to compriate for the reason forumite (milli vanilli) explained above. Also anytime you take the neck off and ship the body it is going to need some degree of a set-up when you get it back and put the neck back on.

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
I'm having an Ilitch coil installed around the existing pickups. It's the hum-canceling system that Suhr has used. They suggested I ship them the body, but sending the whole guitar seems easier.

cardinal

It's probably much cheaper to ship just a body and maybe easier for them to work on.

Will it need setup work when it comes back? Maybe, if there's a shim that shifts, or the trem posts are moved inadvertently, etc. But I've had necks off of guitars for a while and when you put it back together, nothing in the setup has changed.

Trending Topics