Shipping a gtr.. $125 when they sell but $0 when you sell

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by omni, Mar 4, 2008.

1. omni

omni Member

I find it really strange that some people will charge you $125 shipping in the lower 48 when they sell a guitar but when they want to buy one from me(you) they want it shipped for free.. reason being " non original hard shelled case" Call me crazy.:rotflmao
    good lord!:munchYour opinions please. My opinion is that they are rats!

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

The ONLY way I'm paying $125.00 to ship a guitar is overnight...and delivered early the next morning by a buxom (topless) broad...toting my guitar and a cup of coffee.

I ship frequently...and $40.00 to $45.00 will get one anywhere in the CUSA.

Pigeons are rats with wings.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Well, that seems like a lot. I think $50 is close, but if you have to pay a high amount of insurance and the packaging is large (in dimension) it can be more. I always get killed on shipping/paypal but I do factor at least a bit of that cost into the selling price. You know what the guitar is worth, you can easily get a shipping quote online, you know what the case might be worth (and in most cases the buyer knows this too)... not that hard.

4. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Well, we all want to save money any way we can. Truthfully, I think that even $50 is too much, though it seems to be the trend on ebay. I think the high shipping is a way to make up with increasing ebay fees.

I shipped a Sunn Model T the other day and it was $26. Guitars can't be much more. It's been a while since I've shipped one.

BUt $125?! Definitely better be overnight by a hot model. haha.

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

Shipping a guitar via UPS ground, insured for its value of over $2k, can easily be $60.-$70. The insurance is the killer! Lots of sellers are not insuring their guitars when they send them, which I think is a big mistake. I understand not wanting to pay more for insurance than you are for shipping the guitar, but you'll be in a lot worse shape if your number comes up and you wind up not delivering as described. As to the shipping cost lowballers, if you figure the shipping in the price, then it's a win-win situation, you can even tout it as "free shipping".

6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I paid 100 to ship a bass - from Japan.

7. photoguy

photoguy Member

"When it happens to you its comedy,when it happens to me... it's tragedy.":)

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

"I shipped a Sunn Model T the other day and it was $26" -- Was it insured? For how much? What was the shape/dimensions of the box it was shipped in?
    The killer with guitars is that they are shipped using "billable weight". A 40 x 20 x 8 size box weighing 20 pounds is WAY more expensive to ship than a 24 x 24 x 12 box weighing the same amount.
    It's all on UPS, USPS, DHL.com -- like I said, not that hard to figure out.

-- oh yeah, get this... I usually bounce back between 2 seperate UPS stores depending on my mood. One charges $1 per extra $100 insurance, the other charges $1.99. BUT, the cheaper place for insurance charged me $6!!!! for a roll of packing tape (the failed to include a price tag on the tape until I checked out... nice. Everybody's got an angle.

9. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Couldn't have said it better.

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

shipping costs are way up.... $50 is definitely not too much... properly packed and properly insured, if it's worth anything, $60-70+ is not hard to hit these days.

11. PRSOPHILE

PRSOPHILE Member

I guess if they're not paying for shipping, they'll come by and pick it up or make arrangements to do so. Plain and simple. Unless you stated shipping is free or offered a "delivered" price.

12. K-man

K-man Member

I shipped one yesterday with UPS and it cost $46. Prices are definitely on the rise.

13. JoeB

JoeB Member

I've regularly paid over $100 to ship, but it was via FedEx overnight and on guitars that cost many thousands, making the overnight cost worth it. Otherwise, $25-$35 has been sufficient for regular ground service.

14. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

i paid $125 once, but that was from Japan to the east coast US and it was here in 2-3 days. take that ups , :moon

15. KCWM

KCWM Member

UPS insurance, at least when i worked in customer service there, was $1.50 per $100 of insurance. Therefore, to insure $2000, it would have been 28.50, as UPS insures the first $100 for free. So yeah, insurance can drive up a price once you get into the thousands, but it's worth it as long as you fulfill their requirements for insurance to kick in.

$125 to ship a guitar? Sheesh.

I'd tell them that shipping doesn't factor in the cost of the case, the price of the guitar does. And, you're not like other shippers who gouge the prices of shipping to cover their asses.

16. Birddog

Birddog Member

I just sold a hollowbody on Ebay and will be paying 78 bucks to ship insured, second day. One of the bidders thought I was ripping him off by quoting $60 for shipping, and claimed in no uncertain terms that he believed that I was using the shipping for profit. In the end I lost 18 bucks.

Despite his certainty at my dishonesty, he kept bidding.

Thank goodness that idiot didn't win, as I could see a hassle coming from a mile away.

17. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Shipping costs have just gone up. FedEx Ground has especially, and that is all I will use or allow to be used as far as equipment/gear is concerned.

Also, take into account who is shipping the item--a music store with proper packing materials is better equipped than say a guy in a studio apartment, who will need to go to a retail shipping place (more $$--easily $75-100 w/insurance) OR just try and do it himself by taping a toaster box and a bedspread together and taking it to the UPS depot (save money!!).

Which would you prefer?

18. omni

omni Member

Yeah, I found it really funny this guy was a total hypocrite when it came to "him' buying a guitar. I shipped a plexi RI to Alaska from south TX overnight for 120 bucks USPS.I thought that was reasonable considering the size and weight.

19. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Yes, shipping costs are way up but not THAT far up. $125 in the CONUS better get it there overnight. $40-50 is more in the ball park.

20. schmit

schmit Member

I shipped a guitar in case, double boxed, padding in each box, 47x20x9, 32.7lbs, insured for $1200, FedEx 3-day "Express", which is basically air and ground, from Central NY to Idaho and it cost $131.06.....overnight by 4PM was over $200....overnight by 10AM was over $275....It was the buyers request so he paid the extra cost
    It could have been cheaper if I wrapped the case in bubble wrap and threw it in a box....or sent it ground....but I pack for maximum protection

So $125 is not out of the question if you go anything other than ground....but asking for it for free.....thats a whole other thing