Shipping a guitar out of the US with Brazilian necks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrPCR, Aug 18, 2009.

1. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

Hi, I've had a dealer overseas inquire about a few of my BRW neck guitars. I've heard there is a quite a crackdown on this. Can I even ship a BRW guitar to canada?

Thanks

2. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

The origin of the wood makes no difference. It's where the item was actually made that can make a difference with Canadian customs.

3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

4. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

It WILL be an issue, but its up to the country your importing too. The Fretboard Journal did a big article on this and sited a few cases of stuff coming back into the US of getting siezed by DFW. In the US they keep it till you (if you) can prove legally its not on the CItes list.

Going out is up to the country its going to... Its very screwby.

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Hmm, I just shipped a guitar with a Brazilian rosewood fretboard out to Europe a week or so back. Hope it get there!

-Austin

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Just say it's Indian rosewood on the reciept. Do you think anyone in Customs would know the difference?

7. janosfia

janosfia Member

They might. According to one of the above referenced links, customs officials are trained to know what is what.

8. Reeltarded

Reeltarded Member

Amazingly: YES I DO! You'd be amazed at how many wrong calls they make with all kinds of stuff too, but it still doesn't stop them from impounding it.

A vintage guitar with proof of age matters in many instances. You'd maybe need $300 worth of doccuments to ship stuff and almost not have problems, as mentioned above that depends on what stupid hellhole you are traveling or shipping to.

In Brazil, they are cooking hotdogs over rosewood. It's not *so* endangered. There is a mill consideration. China buys much of it, for sure.

9. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

My understanding it that most of it is beaing clear cut to make way for cattle ranches to support Brazils and the worlds appetite for beef. I hear that alot of it is just burned on the spot.

10. VRob98

VRob98 Member

Should be fine. European Customs seem far less fastidious than their US counterparts when it comes to CITES authentication. Far more likely to hit trouble importing into the US than Europe.

Here's a sample of some CITES documents for 2 Fenders I imported into the UK this year (with personal info blanked out). Pretty involved stuff!

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. RandK

RandK Member

Check with PRS. Perhaps they can give you documentation on request as to the status of the wood used on those guitars.

12. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

I know of a luthier in S. Ontario that imports BZ from the U.S. all the time. He said as long as the appropriate paperwork accompanies the wood, there's no issue at Customs.

13. whitehall

whitehall Member

Yea that's wishful thinking at best. I could put a pound of heroin in any of the guitars I ship and I doubt anyone would even notice. I've been getting guitars from Japan and China for years and not a single box has ever even been opened.