Shipping a Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rootsource, Oct 18, 2008.

1. rootsource

rootsource Member

I am looking for some info on shipping my Fender Super Reverb fro California to Indiana. I would like to use a company that will pack it properly and also insure it. Any idea? Thanks.

2. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

i had a bad UPS experience recently, BUT they are apparently paying the claim after all -- still i lost a good amp cause of them though :mad:

if you have to ship, i'd say box that bad boy up tight -- THEN bubble wrap that box...THEN box that mess up tight. single boxing doesn't do anything considering the way heavy items are "maneuvered" in those UPS hubs. if you can't do a road case, then double box and you should be good...

i always use an authorized UPS packing store...they list them on their website by zip code i think...they have the boxes and materials and you can always hold that over their heads if something gets damaged...THEIR authorized people packed it...

3. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I got a '65 with a cracked cab, (down the side and the top joint was coming apart). When I bought it, I knew this was already damaged. When I got the amp, the speaker baffle was torn apart from the cabinet. Turned out the 1x1 strips of wood, pulled loose from transit, (glue was old and only held in with staples). No real damage, but it could have been worse. I used wood glued and screws and re-attached the baffle.

I would pull the speakers and tubes and box them separately. Then I think you will be fine.

Jack

4. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I sold a super reverb (swapped in person) and have UPS'd a Mesa Nomad 45 4x10 (sounds horrible) which is very much the size and shape (maybe a little heavier) than a Super --

Just to reiterate-- Take the tubes out, put them in their own boxes, in a small box and I left it in the amp with some paper filling the dead space
    - bubble wrap the amp with small bubble bubble wrap - box it.
    - Wrap that in a layer of big bubble wrap and box it up tight.

I know this sound a little extreme but it works and so does the amp when it gets there! :)

Have fun.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'd pack it myself using the ultimate pacing method described in a previous thread. Nothing beats that.

6. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Ship it upside down (weight is on top); take out tubes and wrap in bubble wrap; double-box it.

7. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

If I were you I would drive it to Indiana

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

+1 on packing it upside-down.

9. TTripp

TTripp Member

UPS Store. They have a the "Pack and Ship Promise". Probably results in higher shipping materials cost since you must by that from them, but it might be worth the peace of mind. Whether or not that will result in the safest shipping job is still up in the air, but at least its not your problem if it doesn't.

One thing's for sure, no matter how well you pack it yourself, you're still in for a song and dance to get re-imbursed for damage, if they pay off at all.

10. JDJ

JDJ Member

The best way is to ship the chassis, cab, and speakers separately -- all double-boxed. But that's a lot of work. :D

11. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Well, the reality is that Fender ships these things "assembled" all the time... so the "separate shipping" strategy is complete overkill, IMO.

Just pack it properly (NO PEANUTS) and you should be in good shape.

12. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

While not an entirely bad suggestion Tripp, I can't even imagine how much it would cost to pack and ship a Super Reverb at a UPS store!

Overall like Dave says, Fender ships these things all the time. With the right packaging it should be do-able. I would also focus on protecting the corners. If you can find some styrofoam corners to put around the amp edges in the box, I would absolutely do that.

13. skypilot

skypilot Member

I was in minnesota shipped to myself in nj...I packed it myself, lots of news paper, bubblewrap sqeezed in real real tight everywhere. take out yr tubes and wrap separately. Shipped fed ex, weight 75lbs..it arrived in perfect condition.

14. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I shipped a Dr.Z at the UPS store and let them pack it. It was a 210 combo and it cost about $230.00.

If you do it pull the tubes and bubble wrap them and then box them and put them in the back of the amp and then fill in the back of the amp with bubble wrap or even a bunch of newspapers.

I then like to cut pieces of thick cardboard to the size of the front and back of the amp and put them there and then bubble wrap the whole amp and tape it up good.
    Put the wrapped amp in a box that fits it tight filling in any void with more bubble wrap.
    If you can find some of those heavy Styrofoam corners put them in ( all four corners ) your bigger outer box so your inner box sits on them and offers some corner support.
    Wrap the inner box too of course making sure the voids in the outer box are filled with bubble wrap and/or Styrofoam sheets.

Putting the heavier top of the amp on the bottom of the outer box helps keep it from being top heavy and easier to tip for sure.
    Problem is you never know how they are going to drop it or even stack it anyway!

15. rootsource

rootsource Member

Thanks fellas for all the shipping tips. Going to the UPS store today with all your advice!
    Peace, Bob

16. goodtone

goodtone Member

About a month back I bought an Ampeg VT 40 amp. It was double boxed with its tubes were wrapped separately and the amp was double boxed. No problems.