Shipping a Vintage Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tapp, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Tapp

Tapp Member

If you had the opportunity to buy say a Vintage Marshall basketweave 4-12 with original speakers (untouched solder) how would you request that it be shipped (no possibility of pickup)? Probably dealing with 130lbs. Would you pull the speakers and ship separate (remember original solder)? I've heard Greyhound but they have a weight limit of 100lbs. Thanks for all advise.

Tapp

2. Luke V

Luke V Member

Whatever you do , make sure it is double boxed. Preferably with packing between the two boxes. No need to remove speakers, I've never seen a cab sent with the speakers separetly. I think the speakers are more likely to be damaged if taken out of the cab.
    Good Luck

ps. I've had bad luck at one time or another with most shippers.

3. Timster

Timster Member

Those vintage cabs are pretty solid... Like Luke mentioned, I would double box and include padding of atlease 4-5" per side. If the cab has castors ship it upside down..

4. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Remove the casters and ship in a seperate box. Safer that way for the cab and the casters. You can only pad out a 4x12 shipping box only so much or you start getting into "its too big, we cant accept it". Go to Home Depot, buy some styrofoam insulation (the blue kind in 4x8 sheets as it doesnt "shed"like the white insulation) and use that for packing materials. Bottom line, no matter how well you pack a 4x12 cab, it wont survive a 10 ft drop because of its own weight. Something WILL be wrong with it.

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I've never had a damaged speaker if shipped by Fedex inside the cab. DHL might also be a good choice, although I've never explored their 4x12 shipping rates. I'm afraid I don't have any good things to say about UPS and shipping cabs, however. I have clients that ordered speakers from me to fill their cabs...then the cabs got mangled, and the speakers that were installed also got hit too hard, and they were toast as well.

Fred at /13 never ships speakers in cabs anymore...and although I've never had a problem, I could foresee where one might...no matter what shipping service is used.

Moral of the story...4-5 inches of packing is needed, the Insulfoam from Home Depot is a good choice. I use two to three layers of the 1.5" thick type, and then bubblewrap inside of that next to the cab itself. Put a thick piece of cardboard, or plywood in front of the speakers to help ward off forklift forks, too. Insure for the sale amount, plus packing, labor and shipping costs.

Then pray.

6. Tapp

Tapp Member

Thanks for the advise guys. I'm also looking into freight carriers(totally ignorant about shipping by truck). DHL seems to have competitive rates. I'm scared by the time the thing is packaged a ready to go with all of the packing I hope it won't exceed the 150lbs limit.

Tapp

7. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

I won a tall 4-12 vintage Marshall cab and speakers on ebay from a guy who said he wouldn't ship it. I asked him to tape cardboard over the grille and slap a shipping label to me. I had UPS pick it up and it arrived in perfect condition. Unless you're shipping an absolutely pristine cab then just stick it in a 4-12 box with maybe some padding on the top & bottom...think of it....it's wood...

Maybe I'm nuts but it worked in an extreme case.

8. shakti

shakti Member

I had a bottom basketweave shipped to me from UK to Norway without any problems. Actually...the solder on one speaker broke shortly after I had started playing it, but that may be a coincidence. The guy shipped it in a Marshall speaker cab carton, with the white styrofoam all in place. The castors were still on on the bottom, but there was padding under the bottom oof the cab (this was the standard shipping carton Marshall uses). I don't remember which freight service it was. But if you can somehow get the guy to ship in a Marshall carton, I guess you should be safe.

Anything *can* go wrong, so be sure to insure fully in any case!

9. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Why couldn't you just remove the speakers from the cab, remove the jack from the back of the cab, that way you're not breaking any solder joints. I'd make sure you've got it noted which speaker went where, though.

10. 62sg

62sg Member

You may also want to be sure none of the speaker screws are loose . And make sure the front of cab is very well protected.
    John
    www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com

11. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

DHL is your best bet. That cab, even with packing and such isnt going to go to the 150 lb limit. It will be more like 105-110 if that much. The thing you have to watch is the size. These guys are saying wrap 4-5 inches of packing but, isnt that going to put the cab over the limit? Measure your cab, punch the dimensions in UPS website and than add 4-5 inches to each dimension and punch it in again. I would bet it would be too big, for a Marshall 4x12 anyway.

12. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I have shipped and received Marshall 4x12's without a problem. With their baffle you should be safe.

I had problems in the past with cab's with a particle board baffle (like a 2x12 Fender). The speaker can rip out of the baffle if they drop the box down with the cabinet on it's back.