Shipping a vintage guitar, how???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Nuclearfishin, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

I'm in the process of working a deal with a fellow TGP'er for a vintage guitar and he is being told by FedEx that they won't ship the guitar for anything more than a declared value of $300. How in the world do all you guys ship your vintage guitars and still keep them insured for their value? I know UPS will insure for as much as you're willing to pay, but they will only pay a claim up to $2,000 on an instrument, and the USPS will only insure up to $5,000. What am I missing here, how do we get the guitar shipped and still keep it insured for it's market value?

Thank you!

2. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

Dealing with big money and vintage gear, I would book a day off work anf drive it, having said that-the UK is a tad smaller than the states ;P

3. shuie

shuie Member

There are insurance companies that will cover it in transit. I don't know about the size limits, but registered mail is insurable with no BS. Or, you can just make sure its packed well and pray. I've heard that UPS handles packages more like registered mail (chain of custody, no conveyors, etc.) once they are insured for $5k or more. Overnighting it helps also. Good luck.

4. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

Driving it really isn't an option as it's being sent from the west coast to Gruhn Guitars in TN for inspection first, then assuming all goes well, it gets shipped from Gruhn to me. I've shipped classical guitars worth $10k using FedEx and full insurance with no problems, why is it not the same for vintage gear?

5. woof*

woof* Member

i believe the fedex restriction is only on ground or lower $ options. i know a lot of dealers of high end ship fedex overnight (100$+)

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

Use a Third Party Insurer. Ship in a wooden crate using AirFreight.

Best, Pete.

7. JMPRO

JMPRO Member

I am in the same situation and decided to use Normans in Van Nuys, Ca. for the inspection, I can drive there in an hour or so and his work is just as highly respected as Georges.
    JMPRO

8. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Definitely do overnight.

9. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

10. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I finally broke down and got separate instrument insurance. I use Heritage.

11. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

What does Gruhn say? They ship vintage guitars all the time.

/rick

12. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Fed ex won't do anything w/vintage guitars...even on overnight. Max payout on damaged vintage goods is 500 bucks.

W/ UPS you actually can insure to replacement value- I did for 12K on my Junior last winter. You have to talk with some folks and get their names, make sure everyone is on the hook.

I suggest double boxing if possible. For shipping/packaging- bombproof packing with at least a few inches of bubble wrap around the whole case. Take special care to secure trem arms in bubble wrap and remove fragile items, like but end strap pins, toggle tips etc they can get loose and damage the guitar, or break themselves. Make sure there's no wiggle room in the shipping box and the case too. Newsprint is good for this- except with white finishes. I try to keep bubble wrap off of vintage finishes. Slack strings a whole step. Support under the HS for Gibsons is a must. And remember to ship overnight on Monday- that way no matter what it's not in a van cooking or freezing over the weekend.

I've done this and never had a problem be it a 40K '53 LP custom or a '59 J-200.

BTW Gruhn has a great packing dept with the injectable foam- so nice!!!

Cheers,

JD

WHAT GUITAR?

13. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Fedex will ship it, they just won't insure it.

They will only pay out the amount you actually paid for it. They need a bill of sale. They won't pay the appraised amount.

14. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

Call Heritage. They can cover a guitar in transit and then you can ignore the Fed Ex issues. I've got their coverage and I've been very happy with it.

FWIW, I don't think Fed Ex will cover it for more than $500, bill of sale or no.
    Dealers use Fed Ex, but they've got separate insurance.

Do it overnight anyway especially since it's the summer.
    Cheaping out on shipping is always a bad idea.

best
    Allen