Shipping an amp in a road case...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jwilliams, Feb 2, 2012.

1. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

The road case is very heavy duty. 3/8". Thick, dense foam.

Is there a point in boxing it up?

2. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Shipped two amps in road cases with no additional packaging, and received one amp in a road case with no additional packaging. All transactions worked flawlessly. Amps arrived safely and the road cases seemed to have been treated really well.

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I once received an oversized Marshally combo in a roadcase. No issues. When. I shipped it, I taped the joint so it would be clear if somebody opened it up.

4. kaseri

kaseri Member

I've shipped lots of amps in road cases and I've never done anything more than secure the latches with security seals.

5. doublee

doublee Member

I shipped a Vibrolux once in a lite duty case but with xtra padding I added and it arrived like it had been thrown down a flight of stairs, the handles apparently gave them more means of achieving a better trajectory. Also the case having wheels caused more problems for some reason. Never again...

6. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I shipped an amp all the way to Japan in only a roadcase and it was perfectly fine.

7. Dewey Cox

Dewey Cox Member

Received a Super Reverb in a road case a few days ago, A OK.

8. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I got a Marshall JMP in a road case and it arrived with no issues. I do wonder if having an item in a road case gives the go ahead to go 'gorilla' on it though.

9. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul
    I shipped a JMP from the midwest to California and back in a roadcase [boxed], if you dont box it whats to keep someone from tampering with it?

10. cestjoel

cestjoel Member

When I shipped my amp in a road case, I tapped the hinges, locks, and all seals very good so if someone wanted to open it, they had to really work for it. ;)

11. FFTT

FFTT Member

I received my Hot Cat 100R in the road case, perfect no issues.

FedEx sealed it with their own stickers.

The only thing better would be a lockable case, but not sure
    anyone builds them???

12. gandolf203

gandolf203 Member

Shipped and received amp heads and cabs in road cases only. No issues either way.

13. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Never had a road case but if I did this is what I would do - Buy a couple cheap locks and lock it up. Then send the keys through the mail to the buyer. This way when the amp arrives he has keys to open it and no one can mess with it unless they cut the locks.

14. teleking36

teleking36 Member

I used zip ties and ran them through the lock holes on the spring loaded clamps to keep the case secure. Worked perfectly.

15. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

Any of you done this through UPS? I don't know why they would have any problems doing it, but just want to double check.

16. CraigSuperLead

CraigSuperLead Silver Supporting Member

I've heard (from people that work at the UPS sorting terminal here in Louisville) that the wheels do cause problems on the roller line things. This does make sense - imagine trying to push a roadcase with wheels down rollers that are made for boxes. Now imagine those rollers being 10 or more feet off the ground which is also often the case.

Shipping it in the case is great for protecting the amp, but I'd take the wheels off OR find a cardboard box to put the case in.

Just my opinion.

17. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

Should have clarified - this is just a head. No wheels.

18. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

UPS and Fedex charge a little more for not being encased in cardboard and unusually shaped items because they may not travel well on their conveyor systems. They also charge extra for extra large items so be sure you check all the additional charges.

19. 19181911

19181911 Senior Member

If the road case is safe to be dropped 8' with the amp in it, the no worries. The automated conveyors have drops of up to 8 feet at the shipping hubs.

Road cases are not shipping crates!

20. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

If you want to make it look more "boxed", I'd recommend just getting some thick cardboard and use strapping tape (clear stuff) to cover the road case. Leave the wheels so it can be rolled around. You might also make cut outs for the handles but cover up the locking mechs. I haven't needed to ship something in a road case but I do have some of them. The best one I have is an Anvil that fits my Deluxe Rev. and I paid $5 for it at a garage sale.