Shipping an SG Without a Case?

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
I have a 95 Standard I want to move, but no hard case. Hesistant to ship a set neck this way - but obviously it's done daily. Any tips?

TrevorW

Silver Supporting Member
Bubble wrap, Large bubble bubble wrap. Wrap the hell out of it. Fill any voids in the box with foam peanuts. Don't skimp on packing supplies. Ship fully insured.

_pete_

Silver Supporting Member
I just recently bought an '04 SG Classic with a neck repair. It was shipped from Rhode Island to Florida without a hard case. USPS even lost it in Connecticut for about a week. It arrived in perfect shape but it was packed well with peanuts and bubble wrap.

Side note: Why the hell didn't I buy an SG Classic long ago? This thing is a beast!!!!

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a bubble wrapped guitar arrive from Japan safely. You can do it. I'd wrap in a cardboard coffin then wrap bubble then box.

slipbeer

Gold Supporting Member
Are ya feelin' lucky?

IMG_4305_large.jpg

milli vanilli

Ups insurance is a scam. Found that the hard way.... NEW SGs SHIP WITHOUT A CASE anyway, so this is common. Maybe call a shop and see what packaging they have left? Maybe you'll luck out and get the factory packaging...

ELmiguel

I have bought cardboard guitar boxes from Guitar Center and Sam Ash.
They usually still have Styrofoam pads in them
$5 to $10.

minorseventh

Ive shipped allot of guitars without cases... including SGs and even pointy BC Rich's! as previously mentioned above.. double box em, and dont skimp on packaging materiel. I frequently lose my ass on shipping because I go to the office store and spend 30 bucks on bubble wrap, heavy duty tape, peanuts etc, and then of course shipping an oversized box across the USA via UPS is close to 100 these days. (*fun fact: an actual "guitar" shipping box from the UPS Store is 24.99!!) .. its all kind of a miserable pill to swallow really, and if you're a private seller it's nearly impossible to sell a guitar and charge the seller what it ACTUALLY costs, but thats just how it is now.
whenever I list a guitar I just hope it finds a buyer no more than one or two states away, and remind myself at least I'm not selling a tube head and cab :eek:

Guitarworks

I would never ship nor receive an angled headstock guitar (especially a Gibson) that is not latched inside a hardshell case that fits the guitar and double-boxed with tons of packing material, at the minimum. Maybe a few people have been extraordinarily lucky to have gotten away with not even a crack for less. Most don't. Some will argue that headstock breaks occur inside cases, which it can, but only if it's not packed correctly. With no protection but a single wall of corrugated between the guitar and the wrath of UPS or FEDEX gorillas, the headstock and/or neck joint gets snapped like a toothpick.

marshall2553

Silver Supporting Member
Bubble wrap, Large bubble bubble wrap. Wrap the hell out of it. Fill any voids in the box with foam peanuts. Don't skimp on packing supplies. Ship fully insured.
I recently bought a LP husk from an eBay seller and this is what he did. I was worried and was tempted to buy a case from them and have it shipped in the case. They wrapped it tightly in several layers of thick bubble wrap and put it in a box that didn't let it shift around. It was fine and the headstock was probably better supported than if it had been in a Gibson case.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom