Shipping overseas?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by djlynch, Jan 14, 2015.

1. djlynch

djlynch Supporting Member

What kind of cost would I be looking at for UK or France. I have been told USPS is the way to go? Anyone have any experience that can be helpful?

2. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

1) What is being shipped?
    2) Is it being shipped TO Europe or FROM Europe?

3. djlynch

djlynch Supporting Member

Shipping guitar to Europe from Middle USA

4. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

Also interested in this. I have no experience, but someone in Europe asking about a guitar of mine on reverb

5. gregsguitars

gregsguitars Member

You can log onto UPS,USPS and other shipping sites and get a "basic" quote, depending on price and insurance you may have to also fill out various forms ,documents .If your guitar does not include the required documentation in may be held until those documents are produced.Items over 5000.00 also require a US Census document and export number...

6. 5150gtrmonkey

5150gtrmonkey Silver Supporting Member

I've shipped a guitar to Europe from Hawaii with no problem using USPS. The only thing I make very clear to the buyer however is that I will not be responsible for damages that happen if the box is opened and inspected at Customs. USPS insurance, as far as I know, won't cover that either. Fortunately, there weren't any problems with customs and the person in Europe received his guitar in perfect condition.

From a shipping point of view, just pack it really well as you would any guitar you would ship to other States in the US and you'll be fine. So many sellers make a big deal about shipping items to Hawaii when it shouldn't be (aside from cost). Just pack your items well and it will arrive anywhere ok, provided nothing out of the ordinary happens, like your box falling off a conveyor belt 10' off the ground!

7. wscottarmstrong

wscottarmstrong Supporting Member

I've done it many times, always USPS, and cost about $125. The was from the E Coast of the US. Never had any problems with seller receiving their goods and retrieving from customs. You will have to complete a customs form when you ship.

8. Flash6969

Flash6969 Member

I've had many guitars shipped to me in Oz. The buyer should be aware that;
    It might get damaged, it won't be cheap, they may need to pay additional customs charges.
    You (the seller) should insist on insurance (no insurance = no sale) & always put the accurate cost on the customs forms.
    Fedex are quick but expensive.