shipping places for amp heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bigmouth, May 13, 2008.

1. bigmouth

bigmouth Member

does anybody have any experience with places that offer packaging and shipping for an amp head ? the head would be dropped off in LA and shipped to switzerland. I see that UPS offers that but they don't indicate any prices for the packaging nor how it influences shipping costs. any experience would help.

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

DO IT YOURSELF. Your amp will not arrive in one piece if you have some guy at the UPS store pack it. I can provide you with a list longer thant your arm of people that have experienced this first hand.

Do a search on here and you will find the correct ways to pack an amp. Its not difficult, just requires the energy to do it right.

Again, UPS will destroy your amp.

3. bigmouth

bigmouth Member

problem is that I am the guy that gets it in switzerland, you know ?

4. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

That sucks... If I lived in LA I would pack it for you. Maybe someone can help you out, UPS store or other shipping place is just a disaster.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

The last two times I sent amps, if I counted every bit of my time rounding up the boxes, tape, Styrofoam insulation pannels, cutting, customizing taping, pulling and wrapping tubes, etc etc, and the time spent going to and from UPS and waiting in line. I spent over three hours and about $25.00 in materials each time. I see flight cases for very cheap from time to time. I saw really nice, high quality but older ATA cases, one for $75.00 and the other for $100. recently. I am giving serious thought to buying the next one I see at a good price. In the mean time I can be keeping my nice heads in great shape and when it comes time to sell, all I will have to do is throw it in one box and ship it off. I will charge a minimal amount for the crate and I am sure I will come out way ahead.