Shishkov masterbuilt strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Berre, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Berre

Berre Member

Hi Y'all !

I'm intrested in buying a masterbuilt Shishkov relic strat but can't play
    the guitar first before buying, because the shop is about 750 miles
    from where I live, so I have to buy and have it shipped to me...

anyone here own a Shishkov masterbuilt strat ?
    how do you like them ?
    are all masterbuilts relics better then a series relic strat ?

thx,
    bert

2. Colt

Colt Member

I think that's who built the ones at the Dallas guitar center on 75....if so...the new blue one that have in is one of the badest (if not THE badest) strat's I have EVERY played.

3. Berre

Berre Member

hey Colt,
    I mean Yuri Shishkov, he's a masterbuilt at the Fender custom shop.....
    do you think that's the same guy ?

bert

4. Luca Z

Luca Z Member

I have never seen one, but I spoke with a fellow that used to hang around a lot in a Fender Master dealer shop, seeing tons of masterbuilt guitars, and he thinks that at present Yuri is one of the two masterbuilders at the custom shop that consistently delivers the best guitars (don't ask me the other name). I trust this guy because he knows what quality is, he sold to a friend of mine a fantastic JW Black masterbuilt strat, probably the best strat I have ever seen.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I worked with Yuri years ago at Washburn and had the opportunity to see some of the guitars he built from scratch while he lived in Russia. Truly amazing pieces. Hollow body electrics that were works of art.

Believe me, building a Strat has to be almost childs play for a man of his talent. If it has his name on it, you'll be proud to own/play that guitar.

Good Luck

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

He's definitely one of the best at the Fender CS, he and John English...

7. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

I have never played one of the Shishkov relics. I have played a John English strat and it was wonderful. However, I would not EVER buy a guitar unseen/unplayed with no ability to return it, I don't care who built it. I have played off the shelf relics as good as the English I played, and I am sure English and Shishkov have both built terds. You never know how a guitar is going to sound until you string it up.

8. Colt

Colt Member

it's the same guy.

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Now, THAT, I didn't know.

Thanks

10. Ogre

Ogre Member

A good friend of mine has a masterbuily Strat by Yuri, and it is a wonderful guitar. Of course we refer to it as the "Shitzkoff".

11. matte

matte Senior Member

Yuri does great work.

12. emjee

emjee Member

Could they be Greg Fessler and John Cruz?

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

How hard is it to build a Strat?
    What do you get from a master build that you don't get from off-the-rack and a good setup? Wood? Total assurance of getting a "good" one?
    It's not even custom ordered for neck carve, control position, pickup choice, etc., is it?

14. Rory_Rules

Rory_Rules Supporting Member

Hi Bert! I don't know if this would help but Guitar Center has a Shishkov Strat/Tele on Ebay right now. The item # is 7384480061

15. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

16. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

The Yuri Mary Kaye Tribute I've played is easily the best strat, vintage or not that I've ever played. I cried when I couldn't raise the cash for that guitar...

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Tone,

I guess this was what I was getting at. If you had seen the hollow bodies he built from scratch you might better understand what I said. I assure you, the man is an artist.

Thanks,

Greg

18. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I have a personal bias towards the guitar as a tool end of the spectrum and think that (reconstructing) a Strat represents a poor "canvas" for an artist.

I would look to innovation+craftsmanship+aesthetics in a "master" instrument.

I don't question his skills, just the marketing.

19. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I don't know how hard it is to build a Strat (I'm not a luthier), but I have an idea building a great Strat is harder than building a crappy one.

It's probably not hard to bolt/screw/solder up a pile of parts, but I'm guessing that there's a world of difference from how a Strat is assembled in some factory in Korea and how a luthier builds one, not the least of which is hand building/selecting components for their individual merits as well as how components will complement each other to create a great instrument.

Furthermore, I don't think the challenge and art of luthiery (or lack thereof) is unique to Strats or some other shape/flavor of guitar.

Carving a great neck, doing great fret work, and creating a great finish is not unique to Strats or other guitars.
    If form following function qualifies as great art, I'd say the Strat, Tele and Les Paul shapes have stood the test of time as both art and tools.

Like I said, I don't know hard hard it is to build a Strat, but the fact fine contemporary luthiers such as Lentz, Tyler, GVCG, Chapin, Callaham, Suhr, Melancon, Grosh, Detemple and many, many others have chosen the Strat as their canvas speaks for itself. And I don't doubt any of those luthiers, including Shishkov, could (and have) created great guitars on a different canvas than a Strat. Add that buyers (casual players, weekend gigging musicians and working pros alike) have lined up out the door for those Strats may suggest that many players would disagree with you.

"Master" marketing aside, while the Strat body shapes of those contemporary luthiers bear close resemblance to Leo's creation, I'm sure each luthier has added innovations of their own (or removed new Fender improvements) to create what they believe is a "better" Strat than Fender makes.

20. Berre

Berre Member