Shiva Drive Channel > Mod?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by devbro, Oct 3, 2005.

1. devbro

devbro Member

Anyone ever found a way to brighten up the Shiva EL34 drive channel? It's a little muffled and dark for my liking. I've resorted to geting my dirt from pedals on the clean channel which I like allot but it seems like such a waste of a 2 channel amp. Maybe there's a mod or a tube or a ??????

2. Ricker

Ricker Member

Don't mean to sound facetious........but there's a treble and a presence knob to tweak...............even cranking the mid kob can brighten her up a bit............If it's still not bright enough then.......there must be a problem somewhere........cause if you get the vol up a bit on the shiva it's definitely bright........any brighter and people will start to get hurt:)
    Maybe I'm just sensitive to high freq.
    Cheers
    Rick

3. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I yhink it really depends on the volume you are playing at.

4. devbro

devbro Member

Strange thing becasue even with the presence & mid maxed, it's still muffled sounding especially compared to the clean channel. I've heard others comment on this problem and was wondering if they overcame it and how.

5. Jimi Ray

Jimi Ray Member

I agree, I love my shiva but the drive channel is very dark compared to all of my other amps. But the clean channel alone is worth the price of admission. I also run pedals into the clean channel. I tryed different tubes but made no difference to my ears. I have had some success with a COT-50 and a TIM pedal into the drive channel. I always end up using two amps at the same time anyway, so when I mix the shiva with another the high end loss isn't a prob. Jim.

6. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

I have owned 3 Shivas, all El34 heads ... you either dig the plexi brown sound it gives or not, but adding brightness makes it more difficult to play .. less smooth. And Shivas can be a bit grainy in the agin department to begin with. I popped some Telefunken and Amperex preamp tubes in mine to make them brighter ... just tweaked until it was right.

I think it just seems dull in comparison with the extremely spanky clean channel. Almost too much of a contrast there for my tatses. But man-o-man those Shivas rip when you give them the gas :p

7. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

That statement sums up my experience with just about every Bogner I've played more or less.
    :eek:

8. Jimi Ray

Jimi Ray Member

Try a Metropolis, I have one and it has brightness in spades, My favorite Bogner!

9. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well there is always gonna be a trade off.........
    The shiva has a thick quite fat OD channel.......quite loose and saggy.......and this is because of the enphasis on the lower mids and bass.........Lower mids are dark and Fat.........so when anything is boosted it feels as though something else has been cut..........and that appears to be the upper mids.........although they are there they seem lower in the mix because of the lower mid freqs that are boosted.......the shiva has sometimes a sorta HI-FI top-end so I don't thick it's the treble that you're missing.............I think it's upper mids..........compared to my Koch Multitone and Budda sd80 it has less 1 to 3 k.......
    Now mostly this can be rectified with a turn on the presence Knob.......but there may still be some holes that you're missing..........but it's not treble.....its somewhere in the upper mids.

Cheers
    Rick

10. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I'd call Bogner. I'd bet tehy did a tweak for someone. Too many guys complain about the darkness of the channel for them to have not done something for someone.

11. devbro

devbro Member

After doing some searching hear on TGP, it seems this is a recurring sore spot for Shiva owners. I'll give them a call and report back....

12. devbro

devbro Member

So I talked to Greg today at Bogner and he said this is the first call he's ever received about the drive channel being too dark and muffled.:confused: He said he get's frequent calls about his issue with the Ecstasy.

He said I may have one that's gone out of spec somewhere and to bring it in for a check-up. I need to do this anyway because my on-off-standby switch gets stuck sometimes in standby mode and I know it's going to happen at a gig one day and I won't be able to work it loose.

Anyway, I can't imagine all these Shiva users have dark drive channels. He said maybe I have dark hands

:confused:

13. Ricker

Ricker Member

Yup
    You'll have a hard time convincing Bogner that the Shiva is dark and Muffled... he he he

I just don't hear it as dark or muffled either..........Then every amp I own must be dark and muffled too.

As I said earlier I think it's just the boosted lower mids that you're hearing and that gives the shiva it's characteristic OD sound.......maybe it's just not your thing and you need to move on.
    There is not much that one can really do to the shiva sound unless you've actually got a problem with the amp that needs sorting out.

Rick

14. devbro

devbro Member

Got a Suhr classic today:D and guess what, my Shiva drive channel is no longer muddy. In fact, the amp is so different with the Suhr compared to my PRS I had to actually turn the treble down on the drive channel....! I'ts going to take some major Shiva tweaking to dial in the Suhr.

See you all at NAMM...........

15. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Maybe go with a brighter speaker. I like my XTC with my Orange cab. Doesn't sound dark to me. Sound like heaven!:)

16. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

The Shiva sound demos are mostly performed on Strat style guitars. That should tell you something. LP style guitars sound very good on a Shiva, but my Strats always sound glorious. This is a hard rock amp, not a metal amp, and the Strats (ok, Grosh and Anderson too) just sound huge through a Shiva. My favorite all time sound. XTCs are great, but they have more gain than I can use, so I am a Shiva man. Just sold my VOS to go back to the Shiva. The VOS is a monster amp, best single channel amp I have found for my styles, but the Shiva is still the best channel switcher on the market.

If you listen to Brad Whitford on Boston Guitars website talking about his Hot Cat amp, he also comments that those amps sound good with a LP guitar, but are really great with a Strat style guitar.

No amp can be perfect with all styles of guitar.

17. kram21

kram21 Member

I so not find the Shiva to be dark at all,with either a Les Paul or a strat. Again,as mentioned;adjust the mids or presence. I find the shiva to be an upper midrange as compared to a lower mid amp.also consider a boss graphic eq pedal if you desire more brightness;in addition a celes v-30 can add some brighter tones.

18. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

If you want to add more crunch or bite to the Shiva you need to add a treble peaking cap to the 2nd stage voltage divider. 470p over 470k/470k works well and gives it more of a Marshall vibe.

BK

19. Ricker

Ricker Member

The facts are that it is a lower mid voiced amp.
    I distinctly hear a slight hole in the upper mid area with the Shiva......that's why Shivas generally sound so good with v30s......they seem to compliment each other with the v30 filling in with it's own upper mids.
    The presence knob adds upper mids and not upper treble as many think.
    This will increase the cut and 'precence' of the amp in the mix............I think it sounds best at 12 o'clock but when playing very loud I like to back it off a touch...........and then when very soft I like to bumb it up a bit......big increases or decreases here are undesirable and things can get ugly.

rick

20. devbro

devbro Member

Not sure about anyone else's experience but the drive channel on my EL34 head through my OS 2/12 sounded very muddy with my PRS. So much so, I stopped using it. It didn't seem to matter how much I turned up the treble, presence or mids. I even tried different pre-amp tubes. Now with ingle coils, it's usable again and actually sounds pretty monsterous. Maybe it was the PRS;)