Shiva EFX Loop and Effects

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BrentSP, Mar 24, 2006.

1. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

I made a shiva pedal cable today and theres a huge volume drop when engaged. Also it distorts my EH Memory Man. Anyone have probs with there Shiva loop?

2. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Same here. I guess I'll be puting the delay in front also. Sounds great for clean but a little to messy for distorted tones.

3. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

I made the cable and put the chorus and delay in the loop. I can't tell any difference. I sure didn't like those pedals in front of the amp.
    Allan.

5. devbro

devbro Member

I love my Shiva but it's definitely got the most over thought unusable effects loop I've ever owned. Put 'em up front and be done.

6. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Man I've tried all kinds of different value resistors from changing the 100k to 220k and even to 1meg. Also changed the 4.7k ground to a 2.7k and my clean channel still distorts with the delay is in the loop. :FM

7. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

The Shiva FX loop always distorted the intellifex on the clean channel...drove me crazy.

8. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Well Mark told me the other day that the new shivas have an ajusted send level now that eliminates the need for this cable. I'm sure its just the shiva cable mod hard wired inside the amp. There is now also some bright switches for the lead and clean channel and boost level for the lead.

9. Ronstrat63

Ronstrat63 Member

I have an older Shiva that works great with a Yamaha Magicstomp with the special cable. The Magicstomp is a pretty good multi effects units. I just use it for reverb and delays and it does the job. It is also inexpensive.

Nothing else I tried sounded close to right. I tried a G-major,Lexicon MPX 500, Boss GT-6, Boss SE-50 and my G System.

10. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I've been using a special mix of resistors that was recommended to me by a fellow Shiva owner. It works MUCH BETTER than the stock Bogner resistor configuration.

From the tip of the plug to the ground on the plug, make sure you have a 4.7k resistor there (just like in the Bogner FX Cable diagram). However, instead of a 100k from the center conductor to the tip of the plug, put in a 47k. Trust me on this. Still make sure that the ground from the cable doesn't touch the ground on the plug (yes, it does make a difference) and you'll be all set.

Now, I've noticed another thing with the Shiva FX Cable that is CRUCIAL. Make sure you have the modded plug end go into the input of your first pedal in the FX Loop, it DOES NOT go into the Send on the back of the amplifier.

If you manage to do this correctly, you will not have any issues with pedals in your FX Loop. I have not tried this cable with any rack effects, so I'm not sure how they handle those, but I'm telling you all, if you change that 100k to 47k, your amp will sound 99.9999999% as good as the amp without the FX Loop engaged.

Why Bogner hasn't changed the resistor values on the website is beyond me, but the FX Loop is extremely usable to me now. I've got a GoudieFX Crystal Boost in there to give me extra volume for solos and now I don't need to have my amp modded for a volume mod to the boost channel.

11. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

I'm actually trying to attenuate the signal, not boost it. A 47k in series would allow more signal to come through causing it to slam the input of the pedal. With that said I'll try it as it only takes 5 seconds but I'm pretty sure I know what the results will be. Thats strange that it works better this way for you.

12. sws1

sws1 Member

So are you guys trying to use pedals in the loop? Or rack effects?

I haven't tried my G-major yet, but I was assuming I wouldn't need a special cable.

13. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

I'm trying to use pedals. You can try your GMajor in the loop and see how well it works but if not then theres a cable mod for rack effects also. 100k in series with the cable and 100k to ground.

14. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

That's damn cool that Bogner is eliminating the things that 'bothered" me about the Shiva. May be worth looking into again.

15. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Tried the 47k and just as I thought it slammed the input way to hard.......it sound like a motor boat :confused:

16. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

This is getting stupid........someone please take a picture of there modded cable. I've went up to a 220k to even a 1meg with the same results.........distorted input. It did cut the mix of the effect waaaaaay down but still the clean was distorted badly even with the channel volume way down. I changed the 4.7k to ground to a 2.2k and still had the same results. Something isn't right because every thing I try is not producing any difference. My test bed is a Memory Man delay but it doesn't have very much headroom to begin with so I've switched to a Digitech delay which has a lot more headroom. Neither worked right.
    :horse

17. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

That's really strange that the FX Loop is that hot... are you sure that the modded plug side is going to the input of the pedal (and yes, there IS a difference, can't make that clear enough - it was an issue I had to find out on my own)? There are a lot of little things that can cause poor performance in the FX Loop of the Shiva and when I had the special FX Cable plugged in backwards the FX Loop was blazingly hot (it was impossible to get any sort of decent clean). I'd double check connections and make sure the cable grounds on the modded side aren't hitting a thing. I thought the FX Loop was doomed until I messed with the cable enough to get it right. Electrical tape or heat shrink tubing is a good way to isolate components. You probably knew all of this, so I apologize for mentioning it, but I'm just speaking from my own experiece - I've overlooked stupid and obvious things before :).

18. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

That was one of the reason's I go rid of mine. You'd think a flaw like this would have been addressed a long time ago. I use to have to lower the input level on my Replifex to barely sending any signal...it still ran hot.

19. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

20. DavidE

DavidE Member

I tried using a Line6 modulation modeler and Boss DD6 in the loop of my Shiva with the Bogner made cable. (using them in the regular loop distorted the clean channel) The was no longer any distortion, but the amp volume dropped a little and some of the punch was gone.

The DD6 didn't work in front of the amp, so I dumped those pedals, put on my Ibanez chorus and my Line6 delay modeler so I have a preset for the clean channel and a preset for the gain channel (much lower effect level).

Seems like it will work and fewer cables.