Shiva - new vs. old

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by suhr_rodney, Sep 18, 2006.

1. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Hi Alex, thanks for the input. I have an older model 6L6 with boost mod done at factory. What i am interested in are the bright switches and fx loop. Do you notice a big difference when bright switch engaged? Clean channel, dirt channel? If so, is it a good thing or just fluff? Thanks again. And congrats on your new Shiva. It's a wonderful amp.

Brandon

2. Alex_S

Alex_S Member

Hi Brandon,

I will check it out and answer at the weekend (as I'm not at home until weekend and still have had to little time with the Shiva to answer just by remembering)...

Ciao Alex

3. Alex_S

Alex_S Member

Hi Brandon,

I'm back home and checked the bright switches: I wouldn't say the difference is huge but still they make a noticable difference and one I can't simulate through the other settings. I have heard bright switches that had more influence to the tone. Don't get me wrong, they do as much as needed and not more. So they are very usable. The difference to me seems to be a bit larger in the clean chanel.

Both make the tone a bit more open and transparent. I like that for the clean channel and use it there. To my ears the dirt chanel gets a bit to sharp with bright enabled. Of course if it is too much also depends on the guitar.

So after all: they are usefull and make the amp even more versatile but I wouldn't say one can't live without them.

In any case a great sounding amp that I really do love!

Ciao Alex

4. Tone

Tone Member

Hey Alex,
    How are you liking your Shiva? Can you describe what it sounds like to you, and what applications you're using it for?:RoCkIn

5. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

I had a different experience at Make N' Music where I had both the Shiva and the Roccaforte in the same room and with a Les Paul, the Roccaforte sounded better to my ears than the Shiva (and it took me a lot less time to dial in a sweet sound on the Rocca as compared to the Shiva). So now I own a Roccaforte - the Shiva is still a great amp - it all comes down to personal taste. Isn't choice and capitalism great?

6. Alex_S

Alex_S Member

Hi,

ok I try (but it's not easy for me as my English is far from being good enough to describe struff like sounds adequatly; so I hope I get it ok):

I love the clean sound of the shiva. It's not sounding ultra bright, like some other amps, but has a warm and dark feeling maybe even fat sounding. The clean channel is really clean, which means I can get it to crunch at bearable (any?) volumes. That might be the only draw back of the clean. So I wouldn't say it sounds fenderish. Nevertheless I love it and think that the clean channel of the Shiva is outstanding and mainly bought the amp because of this sound. I compared it side to side with a Carr Mercury and some Badcats; they all sounded great but very different; much thinner not in a negative way, but they simply had a (great) different voice.

The dirty channel is also a lot different from the other amps I tried at this dealer (and before of course). It is a lot smoother more compressed and also dark sounding. Its distortion gets from blues level crunch to Van Halen brown sound. Beware: this is VERY dependant on the output level of your guitar. I have some lower level pickups, that will almost not get into the hardrock distorion level (especially no fluid lead sounds). But normal humbuckers will do lead stuff easily (and cool). Still the dirt channel has its own tone, not compareable to all the other amps I know. I guess either you love it or hate it. Besides the "like" factor it is "technically" perfect of course.

With the Shiva you can easily cover anything from blues to 80's hardrock. All great sounding. Nevertheless I wouldn't call the Shiva very versatile as it always has it's own voicing in all applications. It can't mimic a lot of different amps, it just does it's own thing and this it does amazingly great. I love its sound and to me it blew away any other amp the shop (and I played before) but if you don't like it's voice you will not get happy with the shiva.

One last thing: it took a while (about 20 hours) to break the amp/speakers in before it really did sound amazing and the settings took me a while to get into. If you try one, to me a good starting point is, set all (besides master) at twelve o'clock. Experiment from that point on (as written I have the 2006 edition of the shiva. Don't know if this works also for older ones)

Also play it not to silently. It can play at room level but it begins to breath and really shine at upper levels.

I hope that helps. Just ask if I missed something...

Ciao Alex

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Yes, the attack is very different, and one reason why the reverb on my Shiva was somewhat of a waste of $350 :)

8. green72

green72 Member

I don't hear much difference in tone,reverb or without. Just a slight volume drop. You guys are going overboard on that. I like the verb alot. The fx loop on the other hand does a real number on the Shiva IMO. I quit using it along time ago. It's a pain to hook up everytime anyway. I tried a new Shiva el34 last week. It sounded ok, but I had it real low, so I can't judge, but then blew a power tube while I was playing it. I told the manager and he blamed it on being hooked up to the 16ohm output instead of the 8ohm. (It was a 2x12 combo)Any of you guys ever hear of that??

I only use a volume pedal and a Barber Tone Press in front of the Shiva these days. Its a great quiet effective compressor. I never liked floor compressors before, but this one is a real secret weapon. It does a great job of minimizing the volume drop when turning your verb on and off. If you love the Shiva's verb, but are annoyed by the volume drop (like me)I'd highly recommend trying the Tone Press.

9. Tone

Tone Member

Alex S, thanks a lot for the info!
    Your english is great, I did'nt even suspect anything until you mentioned. :) What kind of pickup did you use/need to push the amp into VH and 80's hardrock gain levels?

10. Alex_S

Alex_S Member

Hi Tone,

thanks a lot (for the english thing). My Tom Anderson Cobra with an H2+ Humbucker does is easily (I even have lot of "spare" gain on the amp, of course with the Shivas boost enabled). An Anderson SA2+ (I tried on a a Hollow Drop Top) needs to use almost all of the gain and still feels while already very gainy, not really fluid to me.

I also own a early 90s Lag Rockline (if you don't know it, a "superstrat" compareable to the Jacksons) with a brigde PAF Pro if I remember right (i switched pickups a few times back then, but if I remember right I ended up with the PAF Pro) Also great hardrock lead tone there.

So I would say Humbuckers that were considered "medium to hot" in the 80s/90s can do VH sound with no problem. You don't need one of the modern Nu-Metal gain monsters for it. But a "vintage" one might be not enough (or a single coil of course). Of course a boost pedal does the trick easily, but personally I prefer to get it all from the guitar and the amp...

Hope that helps.

Ciao Alex

11. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

I have an older EL34 Shiva and even with a single coil Strat and no pedals I don't seem to have a problem getting early VH type gain out of mine. With the boost on it's plenty.

12. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Member

How can I date my Shiva? ... umm... perhaps I should clarify... I don't want to 'date' my Shiva... I want to find out its vintage. :messedup

13. Tone

Tone Member

Does the boost add just volume, or does it add gain? Also, when you get to early VH gain levels, what do you generally find the gain knob on? Still some room to turn up and fine tune with? :)

Thanks!