Shiva vs. Lonestar Cleans

ed84246

I'm thinking of changing up my setup. Selling the Shiva, getting a hot-rodded Marshall to cover my high gain tones and grabbing a Lonestar for the cleans and the bluesey O.D.

How would you say the cleans on the Lonestar compare to the Shiva? Right now I'm using an EL34 Reverb Shiva 1x12 combo and was thinking of the new Lonestar classic with the ten watt option 2X12 combo.

pnak

I just recently played both the Shiva (6L6) and the Lonestar (6L6) and thought both had some of the best cleans that Ive ever heard .

To choose wich was best would just be my preference and I'd have to say that I liked the Lonestar.

In saying that I had the chance to sit and play the Lonestar for about a half hour or more and tweaked away. I had about 5 minutes at the Boutique place with the Shiva with no tweaking(another post).

I'd like to hear other opinions on this subject. These two amps are definitely on my "Own Before I Die" list.

m3g

Silver Supporting Member
I would suggest trying a 6L6 version Shiva. You probably wont need a two amp setup.

scottlaned

LSC's cleans are top notch. Shiva's cleans are marginal, but its ch2 is fantastic. Not too hot on the LSC's ch2.

keith_t4e

I've wanted to try the 6l6 shiva. Everybody swears by the el34, but I tried one and found it too compresed. How are the 6l6?

pageburst

Cleans definitely the LSC not even close. However for Gain go with the Bogner.

I use the LSC channel 2 as a thicker clean channel and boy does it sound big lush and thick meaty allover like Texas BBQ

Squatch

Silver Supporting Member
I A/B'ed both and liked the Shiva cleans... the gain has a lot of low mids but grows on you, i love it... to each his own

ed84246

I would suggest trying a 6L6 version Shiva. You probably wont need a two amp setup.
Actually I'd need it even more as a 6L6 shiva won't touch the EVH tones and metal tones I would get out of a Cameron, Bray, Voodoo, rocaforte, etc...

hippdogs

Gold Supporting Member
Most Mesa fans know that there is a modification anyone can do to the Lonestar Special to correct some of the channel 2 "issues", it's called the "Reeder Mod". Channel 2 has been controversial since the amp was introduced, with most LSS players wanting identical channels in order to fatten up the tone of channel two. The second channel can get some great tones, but it does NOT do heavy metal. Throw in a pedal and you can do anything. I've thrown every type of amp at the Lonestar Special and in my opinion it is simply the best of the best cleans. I've gigged with it regularly for 3 years with no performance issues and sweet, sweet, tones. I match it to an Avatar contemporary open back 1x12 with a Hellatone 60. I still buy amps to compare, but they always get sold.

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned both Shiva variants and currently have the 6L6 version. A guy recently offered to trade his newer Lonestar 212 for my Shiva head. I thought about it and took my Shiva to the local Mesa dealer and gave it a comparison. After much tweaking and going back and forth I decided that the Bogner has got to be one of the best sounding amps ever designed. The LS had nice cleans, better than the EL34 shiva I once had, but didn't do a thing for me next to the 6L6 Bogner. As far as the second channel for each amp...it really wasn't a comparison. The LS would be a great amp if I never heard the Bogner. The 6L6 Shiva does for American tone what my C30 head does for Brittish tone, no modifications needed.

Last edited:

nickyjoe

Both companies make solid amps, and I would compare the sound of the power tubes. I went with the LSC as I wanted to go from El-84 cleans to 6L6 cleans. I've been fortunate to have owned some great vintage Fenders, Twins and Supers. For me the LS CH 1 is on par with any "6L6" amp I've played. I've used 3 different speaker cabinets and with the EQ on this amp getting the right speaker paring for the tone/feel you want is necessary. I was amazed at the tone I got from this amp using a semi hollow body...inspired me play some Crusaders tunes...Foreplay too... all things considered not bad for an amp under $2000. While it's not my style, I really enjoy the tones Andy Timmons gets from his LSC. I tried "that mod" and it didn't work for me. I found it changed the taper on the drive control, which wasn't something that worked for me. Channel 2 OD not "rocket" science; I'd say a different approach...Mesas interactivity. A very popular player once told me that he's heard more great guitar players than great amps. My amp survived a winter tour playing one-niters, long hours of trailer riding to deliver a consistent tone. Still, Bogner makes a great product.

Rampage

I prefer the Shiva's cleans. The Lonestar's cleans are not bad; however, the Shiva's are just that good to overshadow those of many channel switchers. Not too often that you find a two channel EL-34 based amp with those kinds of cleans.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Shiva 20th Annie KT88 head w/verb.
The cleans on this amp are mind blowing. MIND BLOWING...with all of my guitars. And if u want hard rock higher gain, look no further. Seriously, take one of these for a spin and forget a two amp rig. You won't need it.

My .02,
S.
j

Trending Topics

Top Bottom