Shiva vs Mark IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SFW, Jul 26, 2006.

1. SFW

SFW Member

Why should I or should I not trade my Mark IV for a Shiva?

I've been entertaining the idea of trading y Mark IV in on a Shiva. I'm kinda torn about it. On one hand, I've always wanted a Shiva. On the other, I can pretty much nail any tone I want with the Mark IV. Unfortunatly, I can't have both. My check book just isn't that deep. So the Mesa would have to go if I get the Bogner. Anyway... I'd love to hear your thoughts on this issue.

2. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

Had both, still have the Shiva. The MKIV produced lots of tones, some of which were great but were hard to dial in. It was also easy to find tones that I didn't like with the MKIV. The Shiva produces (IMO) better tones and it is hard to dial in a sound I don't like.

3. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

If you like the Mark IV then don't get rid of it. No matter how good the Shiva is, there will always be something about the Boogie that you'll miss. This will always make you second guess, and start the never ending GAS syndrome.

YMMV,

Stormin!

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Tough call. If you're happy, it COULD be a mistake.
    The Shiva is not going to be as flexable IMO as it's a 2 channel vs. a 3 channel amp.

That said, I'm not one for the MKIV, and I love the tones of the Shiva. So for ME, done deal. :D

5. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I lean more towards the Shiva, but I'm not a huge Mk IV fan. It depends on your needs too(do you need the 3rd channel and the other bells and whistles?)

6. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I like Marshally Tones, the Shiva gets marshally. Mesa's just don't get Marshally to me.

7. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Had both amps and preferred the Shiva. The MKIV was always soooo finicky about pedals and voltage. It sounded different in every venue. The Shiva was way more consistent and a lot more fun to play even though it didn't have the sustain of the Boogie.

8. Keld

Keld Member

I can understand your dilemma - went through someting similar myself. The Mark IV is a great amp, but as you mentioned, rather finicky to dial in.

Why are you thinking of making the switch? Is it because you are tired of tweaking the knobs? If so, the Shiva is probably a good bet. Is it because you like the shiva tone better? Have you tried el34's in the outer sockets? Is your Mark IV a cab or combo? Perhaps a speaker swap might be in order.

The Shiva is also a great sounding amp so it really just depends on your motivation. Do you really need all 3 channels? If so, stick with what you have; if not than perhaps making a switch would be a good move.

Boy that was a lot of writing without saying a lot!

Good luck.

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I'd rather have one killer tone then 300 mediocre ones.

Sorry, been down the Mark IV road and I'm never going back.

10. SFW

SFW Member

Personally, I think that I get some nice tones from my Mark IV. I don't find it that hard to dial in either. It's not that the amp isn't doing it for me. I'm just thinking about a change. If you check my R2 clips, you can see that I've come about as close to copping the Marshall vibe from a Boogie as you can get. That said, I really dont' use R2 all that much. Mainly the clean channel and the Lead channel.

I've played a Shiva in the store a few times, and while I love it... I have to wonder if I will be able to squeeze the gain I want out of it. Even with the boost on, I wish it went to 11.... so to speak. And perhaps it does once you get to turn it up louder that a store will allow. Who knows...? I don't mind using my tubescreamer for a boost on leads, but I want to healthy chunk for rhythm work to come from the amp. I play mostly hard rock. For reference, my band gets a lot of comparisons to Shinedown. Not that we try to sound like them, but that who people always say we sound like.

11. Mr.Hanky

Tough call then, best to have both and sell the loser.

12. bug0711

bug0711 Supporting Member

The Shiva will dissapoint you in the gain department. But it does take pedals very well in both the clean and OD channel.
    I used an Indyguitarist.com modded metal zone with the EL34 version of the Shiva and found the best hard rock / metal tones of my life (I even prefered it to my SLO at the time).

I've owned 6L6 and EL34 Shivas as well as a Mark IV and sold them all. If I were to buy another it would be a 6L6 Shiva ... but I'm a Fender amp guy at heart.
    :crazyguy

13. toby

toby Supporting Member

less knobs = more gooder, IMO

14. Mr.Hanky

Truer words were never spoken.

15. mangley

mangley Member

I have a Shiva EL34 Head, Ecstacy EL34 Head, Mark IV Short Head and a Mark IV combo. These are all great sounding amps.

If you can only afford one and you are into high gain tone, I suggest you keep the Mark IV.

16. SFW

SFW Member

I think it's just gonna boil down to me playing thje Shiva some more. My dream amp is the XTC, but that's not gonna happen for a L-O-N-G while. So... in the mean time I have to work with the budget I have. I really like the Shiva, I'm just not sure that it will cover me in all my needs at the moment. A pedal could be the answer... I'll just have to see. Thanks so much for all the responses guys!