Shnobel and PGS Andy interview

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by earwax, Dec 7, 2017.

1. earwax

earwax Member

This probably deserves its own thread.

shnobel interviews PGS/Reverb/ToneReport Andy

2. IggyZiggyLou

IggyZiggyLou Member

I love Andy. He has such good taste in music. I got hooked on his videos because he'd play R.E.M., Bowie, The Clash, etc. 90% of the time I won't buy a pedal if he hasn't demoed it.

3. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

No offense to Schnobel(thx for your contributions) but his demos aren’t for me

4. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

They often sound pretty similar. He has a very district trebly sound. I think he plays well and uses delay well and whatnot, but not helpful for dirt pedals.

Mike R., zeventh, TimmyPage and 2 others like this.
  5. earwax

earwax Member

Good to know!

6. captnice

captnice Member

Heaven forbid you watch them for yourself and make up your own mind.

WholeLottaGlove and REDFIVE like this.
  7. Kluch

Kluch Member

I love his demos... cuz I know that if I still like the pedal after he's done playing with it I'll definitely love it in person ;)

8. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

I always wondered why he didn’t use a pick, I thought it was due to him demoing stuff the mic wouldn’t pick up the pick slap without using a pick. I do prefer Andy’s and Hermans’s demos although I watch shnobel as well, if they can do pedal demos well it is worth it. However it does take a multiphase level of skill to get it right IMO. I prefer just playing first and talking about it later.
    I do like how Andy is opening up after PGS. He is like a modern day rockstar in my book. Shnobel did do a good interview too, I’m glad he asked him some questions that I was curious about.

Not Orange and earwax like this.
  9. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

I got a few minutes into the first part of the interview.. How awkward! It was like an SNL skit gone bad where the actors are talking to each other and don’t know whether to look at the cue cards, the cameras, or each other.

10. ezcletus

ezcletus Member

If I'm researching a pedal I look to see if Sumner McKane (sp) has a demo for it first. I love love love Reverb but their demos are sheet. ymmv.

cletus

11. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Shnobel interviews Andy Martin, and posts it on YT for anyone who is interested.

A few seize the opportunity to criticize Shnobel’s demos and tones.

Why? How is it even relevant to this thread?

12. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Member

Cool to hear that he went to film school.

13. Rococco

Rococco Member

I really enjoyed and loved the videos, thanks to Shnobel (Roman) for his good work as usual.
    However, I kinda liked it when this Andy guy was a mysterious man.. didn't even know his last name until recently

14. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Since we’re all chiming in: I like Shnobel > Andy because (1) Shnobel mostly uses Vox amps and so his demoes help me understand how those pedals will sound with my amps and (2) I’ve never really liked it when other guitarists play covers.

Cool interview.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  15. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I think the videos where Snobel A-Bs pedals and rack gear against each other, are very useful. I don't see a whole lot of that on demos.
    He did a Tubedriver vs Buffalo TD-X, and it was helpful to me, to make a decision on whether the Buffalo stood up to the Tubedriver.
    Other ones he has up are very interesting: Klon vs Tubedriver, some reverb comparisons, showing a couple of Lexicon models against each other. The one where he puts a Cornish TES against a Boss, and some other delays. I find a lot of that very useful, in helping to determine if a $2000 effect is really that much better than a $200 one. (Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't).
    I'm glad we have him.

16. korgi

korgi Member

the people flogging the gear are becoming more relevant than most of the people using it :p

Not Orange and splatt like this.
  17. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

..... on TGP, etc.

Lotus, hippieboy and korgi like this.
  18. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

Does Shnobel do a comparison between the PGS Andy and the Reverb Andy?

19. Davin Kuntze

Davin Kuntze Member

I'm gonna be THAT guy and point out that the Traynor he uses is a YGL-3A Mark 3, not the YGM Guitar-mate. It's an 80-100W "twin-killer" (he got that right) with two channels, massive hammond transformers, P2P wiring and great tremolo and tube driven reverb. The YGL-3 Mark 3 was the combo version with two 12 inch speakers. The combo is a beast, weighs a ton and is built like a brick sh1t house. All those old Traynors are over-built like that. As an advertising stunt, Peter Traynor dropped one off the top of their offices (or a flight of stairs, the stories vary), replaced the tubes and fired it right back up without any problems.

johnetone likes this.
  20. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

I like Shnobels demos the most out of gear demo guys, he does the best job at showing what the pedals actually do, versus making videos that are advertisements.

tazzboy, sanfi4u, DieHon and 5 others like this.