Sho-Bud Maverick S-10. Any experience?

Lt Dak

Hillbilly Ron Swanson
Silver Supporting Member
My old drummer gave this to me a few years back and I've never done anything with it. I've found some info online, but other than that I don't know much.

Anybody ever used one? Would this be a good place to get started on steel?
20170108_170216_zps3qi7itbk.jpg

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Silver Supporting Member
Start looking up YouTube videos, that's about all I got. Unless you live in a big enough town to start bugging pedal players. I have been thinking about getting one lately, but being left handed makes it a tad harder. There are a few folks that make them left handed and I've done be that a six string steel pedal seems like a great introduction into that world. There's some videos where the guy only plays on the "6 strings" to help a normal guitarist wrap his head around what's really going on. Good luck!!!

Edit: there's also a few forums like this on the internets that are specific to pedal steel.

hubberjub

It's something to start on, but it's far from a quality instrument. A typical modern pedal steel has three pedals and four knee levers. The Maverick has three pedals and only one knee lever and can't easily be expanded. Definitely a cool instrument, though. Learn some basics on it. If you decide to go on, you'll want to upgrade.

Lt Dak

Hillbilly Ron Swanson
Silver Supporting Member
It's something to start on, but it's far from a quality instrument. A typical modern pedal steel has three pedals and four knee levers. The Maverick has three pedals and only one knee lever and can't easily be expanded. Definitely a cool instrument, though. Learn some basics on it. If you decide to go on, you'll want to upgrade.

I appreciate the description. I'd be starting from zero, so I figure that I can't beat free.

ripgtr

It's something to start on, but it's far from a quality instrument. A typical modern pedal steel has three pedals and four knee levers.

Certainly some truth in this. Though I have played with guys who had Mavericks, and you can get good music out of them.

I ran into one recently, here in a music store in town, and played it a bit and you know what? It wasn't as awful as I expected. The pedal action was pretty decent.
And for a beginner, they really need the ABC pedals and the knee that raises E-F. You could spend years just working on that. As a matter of fact, I was just playing mine (GFI) to some tracks, trying to get some practice/learning in, was doing a slow country track, and of all the knee levers, I was really only playing the E raise and lower and the ABC pedals. I have 5 knee and 4 pedals, and the last pedal, I don't even have it hooked up at the moment. Trying to decide what to do with it. Yea, I like having the cool stuff on string 1 & 2 but if it came down to it, I could get through a gig without them. Lot's of guys did, it used to be a pretty common to see guys playing these years ago.

OP, My only concern is, it would need to be set up to play well, not sure if there is anyone around who can help you with that. Like Hub was saying, kind of primitive thing. But yea, you could start learning on it. Depending on the condition and if you can get it working right, it could be fun, but if it is messed up, could be kind of frustrating.
Heck, it was free. I'd take one for free.

Steve Perry

Do you have anymore pics? What you've got there is a Maverick manual, but the guitar is not a Sho-Bud Maverick. Here's a couple of pics of actual Mavericks.

This is an early natural Maverick.

160292690358-1.jpg

This is the Formica covered Maverick from the later 70's

170250444019-3.jpg

ripgtr

Yeah, that's not a Maverick. Looks more like a Carter or GFI.
Good eye.

Not a GFI I think. I have one from probably late 90s and it looks nothing like that. I saw a picture of an early GFI, and it looked more or less like they do now. He started in the early 80s, that looks more like 60s or 70s, and GF would have still been at Fender.
Carter, I know nothing about, except I had a Carter Starter for a bit. Not much of a guitar, unfortunately.

OP, is there any markings or writing on it? Anything underneath?

ripgtr

the guitar is not a Sho-Bud Maverick.

Yea, the fretboard should have been a dead give away. I totally missed that, lol

So, I just did some google searching, I can't find any of the major brands using a fretboard like that. Not sure what it is.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom