SHO users, why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BIGRIGG, Feb 24, 2012.

1. BIGRIGG

BIGRIGG Member

Hey, just interested in why you use the SHO (or clones) vs any other bazillion boosters available. How and why? What do you find is different/better?

thanks very much

2. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

just sounds clearer and fuller with a gritty amp. its why I got a super duper 2 in 1. I don't use any dirt pedals anymore

3. 88mm

88mm Member

+1
    It makes you amp sound like your amp but louder and better it doesnt really impose its own charater into your sound unless you REALLY crank it
    very nice boost or buffer.

4. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

+2

Also the Superduper is the way to go imho. Such a great pedal.

5. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

I compared it to the Fulltone fatboost--which was good too. Admittedly I haven't tried too many boosters, the 2in1 is perfect for me.

6. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

If you like the sound of your amp (or even if you don't), it will retain the same tone but with more distortion.

When I got a sho, I liked it so much that I went out and bought the 2in1 shortly afterwards.

7. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

the fat-boost is a unique pedal. the only pedal I've heard do the same thing as the fat-boost is the new mountain range by smallsound/bigsound. they both literally fatten up your sound with bass response I haven't found in any other boost. I find they're ideal after a dirt or fuzz pedal, but when it comes to just boosting my amp I prefer the sho (or in my case super duper). it just offers a more natural "full" boost IMHO.

8. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I have an SHO type circuit that I build myself. It's pretty clear. It doesn't add any color to my sound. I usually use it with my Blues Jr. to get more gain from it. The increased level that the boost provides hits the first preamp tube pretty hard and gives more distortion. Sure you can use OD or distortion pedals but the simplicity of the clean boost allows your sound to remains relatively the same. You just get more bang out of your amp.

Scott

9. mdclark58

mdclark58 Member

Somewhere between salvation and redemption.
    I simply use it as a buffer/line driver at the end of my board. It kicks the treble response, brilliance, and responsiveness back in. It's my only "always on" pedal.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It is a peculiar flavor, that's for sure. I use it sometimes to split a signal, for example if I'm ABing a pair of effects chains. I use it if I need a brighter sound, or to drive a long run of cables that are pretty dark. I like it a little better with humbuckers, where the high input impedance doesn't brighten things quite as much.

11. BIGRIGG

BIGRIGG Member

Thanks everyone. Seems to be a great clean and transparent boost over most. Also, good for driving your amp even harder without changing the tone. Any others? I believe I will be building one of these soon.

12. JAP09

JAP09 Supporting Member

I agree with what drbob1 had to say. It's a great pedal for what it does, however if your rig is already bright, some of the added brightness in the high mids as a result of the sho can be a little unpleasant with single coils. I have an empress eq pedal in my chain right after the sho and I have dialed out the mids right around 2100 kHz. That took the harshness out but left the clarity of the added highs. I would recommend either pedal on stand alone merit, but the combination of the sho with a parametric eq made my rig sound WAY better than before.

13. roquero

roquero Supporting Member

Great pedal, but the Barber Launch Pad has replaced it on my board

14. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

The klon replaced mine back before prices went through the roof.

Its a great boost.. also take a look at the durham sexdrive and the xotic ep boost.

15. jpennington

jpennington Member

It does an excellent job at pushing your amp harder while keeping your tone pure. It even adds a bit more "brilliance" to it in my opinion. Many times I'll have the SHO running while playing clean and use my guitars volume to control it. I usually keep it right on the verge of breakup.
    It kicked my Keeley Katana off my board a few years ago. (although I do still love the Katana too)

16. Gumby

Gumby Member

I use them to increase my lower output single coils