sho vs. catalinbread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by parkerbro, Sep 15, 2006.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

i have an sho which i love. the only thing is it doesn't have ac tap. i've been thinking of trying one of the catalinbread boosts. has anyone here tried both and if so compare them? many thanks!

2. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

I'd say stick with the SHO. it's a solid pedal, and Zvex is a top notch, quality guy. Much better pedal IMHO.
    And I can't say the same for the guy from Catalinbread....
    He can be kind of a jerk:BITCH

3. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Er, not sure what that's based on. Zvex got banned from HCFX for *EDIT* verbally abusing a mod *EDIT* and had a very public, long running animosity with several forumites which would often digress into insult slanging matches. By contrast, I've never read any post by Nic from catalinbread that wasn't respectful. I'm not saying I think Vex is a jerk, but his record is no better than Nic's.

That said, the Super Chile is a AMZ Mosfet boost, perhaps tweaked I'm not sure. It doesn't do the presence enhancement of a SHO. That may or may not be a good thing. Personally, I think I'd prefer different flavours of boost. The Green Chili has an ever wider frequency range. If all you want is a SHO that you can power with an adapter get a power plate or just drill a hole in it yourself.

4. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

That's right...I used to have a SHO and much prefer the SCP for my application. The SHO boosts the high end a bit too much for me. I much prefer the SCP....It is definitely more of a neutral, sweeter sounding boost IMO. The SCP has been on my board for some time now, I really like it alot.

5. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

I've dealt with Nicholas on several occasions and he's always been 100% cool. Nothing but good things to say about him and Catalinbread products

6. imcorn

imcorn Member

sounds like sour grapes to mi :p.. Nicholas is a really cool guy :BluesBros

7. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I think on any given day, all of us can be jerks. The SCP is a fine pedal. Not a SHO, but a good sounding boost nonetheless. Adds it's own little sparkle.

8. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

i can consider myself relatively intelligent and it never occured to me to just buy a power plate. thanks for the suggestion! does any one have one they want to sell?

9. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

i say catalinbread all the way. his stuff is awesome.

10. Medication

Medication Member

zvex.imo, the highest tone, quality, and consistency.

11. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have three SHO's and two SCP's, both are great sounding units, the SHO does give a slight high end adder to the signal. THe SCP is more flexible, but the second ouput is only active if the gain level is set to minimum, were as the second output on the SHO works full time. The second output on the SCP is inverted so if you run your signal into both channels of Fender Deluxe Reverb or Twin you can do it, or it you run into one amp with reverb and one amp without reverb the SCP is the one for you.

I have dealt with Nick at Catalinbread more than a few times and he has been very good to deal with and has had great customer service, so if someone had problems with him, I would have to think Nick was having a very bad day or the customer was being difficult.

TheGRooveking

12. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

this is a libelous bit of fiction that should probably be edited. 8^)

13. n8b

n8b Member

I remember the thread, a few expletives, nothing that bad considering it was HC. :D

14. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

and considering that the original mod in question had expletives in his signature! 8^)

15. sandman

sandman Member

A great feature that shouldn't be overlooked!

16. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

No it's not. If anything your reputation was enhanced by my account of the incident (since altered). :cool:

17. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

perhaps you could make a list of these "several forumites?" it seems to me most of your orignal post is an exaggeration.

telling fictional stories about me when i'm right here and you can ask me about it is really pretty insulting and drags this thread down to the level of an HCFX rant. btw, thanks for reminding me.
    :horse

have a nice evening. 8^) :RoCkIn :BEER :dude

18. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

I just bought my second SHO, one for cleans, one for dirt. I really like the added higher frequencies, keeps the tone from getting muddy and cuts through much nicer. I don't have to boost as much, which keeps my gain structure more intact. Really great sparkle for cleans and articulation in the dirt. It is strange that you have to get the power plate separately. I just bought 2, but weird it wouldn't be standard.

19. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

i just haven't been able to re-design all of the older pedals yet. there's so much to do when manufacturing 22 different products that it will take another year to catch up on all of the older board designs. i'd hate to stop designing new stuff altogether. that would take the fun out of making pedals!

20. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I had no idea that you posted here. Am i supposed to walk on eggshells on the topic where ever I go on the net? And even had I known, why would I ask you about it? There was no malice in my post (as I endevoured to emphasise in the final sentence of the first paragraph of the original post). It was just a lighthearted poke at what was a pretty trivial incident anyway. I think the fact that I was so willing to edit it is demonstrative of this. Banned from a internet forum and didn't get along with some peeps (eg Longjohnny, Colorsounkid) at at HCFX - how libellous :rolleyes:

I also didn't begin the pitting of the builder's personalities against eachother in order to assess the respective merits of their pedals, which is quite ridiculous. The guy used you as the yardstick to measure Nic, and I thought I'd defend Nic, as in my experience he'd never conducted himself in such a manner as to warrant being labelled a jerk. As I tried to emphasise in that final sentence, I wasn't thereby implying that you were one, but rather that my experience was that you had been embroiled in more conflict than he over at HCFX. But whatever. The history is over at HCFX for anyone who wants to look it up - it's not a secret by any means. It seems to me you're making a flagpole out of a matchstick here..