"Shock The Monkey" REMIX contest

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by DANOCASTER, Oct 4, 2006.

1. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

2. SBax

SBax Member

Yeah, I downloaded the files and realized the task was too huge for me to even get anything remotely close to halfway decent. Only the main voc was almost all the way through for reference. The rest were tiny snips. Some of the re-mixes are truly amazing. There are some great mix/re-mix artists out there.

3. elambo

elambo Member

The contest ended a couple days ago but if it's still possible to download the tracks it's worth the effort just to hear everything broken apart. A couple guys here took the time and entered the contest but both guys replaced almost everything except Peter's vocals so they didn't have to go through the nightmare of aligning all the splits.

The winner gets a free Duende! Very much worth the effort IMO, which is probably why there have been hundereds of people entering to win.

Most mixes are just "eh" but some are really creative. I'm anxious to find out who wins.

4. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Cripes. Sorry I missed out on this one. A hugely influential track for me back in the day, and I cam to sorta loathe it, sonically (perfect remix fodder).

Elambo-

Are you saying the tracks didn't have zeroed start times?

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Funny you should mention this. I was over on the v-drums forum today and one of the guys there submitted a pretty good remix. It was the first I'd heard of it.

6. elambo

elambo Member

The tracks DID have zero'd start times - all of them - even those that didn't start at zero. So if there was a bass part that didn't start until the first chorus in the original, it was loaded in at zero in this file, making it 8 or 16 bars off. Most tracks were like this. And to boot the tempo drifts. You can't just line up the first beat and slide it around because the beats are different depending on where they were used in the song and what the exact tempo was at that point in time.

However, part of this challenge was to see how well everyone/anyone could get everything working. Some people used all the original tracks, some used only one. I heard a mix the other day (that I hated) that was esentially just Peter's lead vocal and a very simple pad playing throughout, then there'd be silence for a few seconds. Very odd, very lazy, very bad.

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

8. elambo

elambo Member

Not only humans playing, but without QUANTIZING!!! Scary stuff.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

That's crazy talk!

Loudboy