Shocked: Knopfler using Kemper on current tour

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Luca1979, May 15, 2019.

1. Luca1979

Luca1979 Supporting Member

I’m a bit speechless.
    I can only say that IMO, Mark Knopfler is one of the absolute tastiest players ever, and he takes his guitar sound very very seriously.

I went to see him last Friday and as always he had a huge, fantastic tone, especially with his ‘58 Les Paul.
    His sound is the most natural and less “digital” I know of.

I was stupidly wondering what esoteric new tube amps were he using, and now I discover this!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Supporting Member

3. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

The fact that his tech has "devoted much of his time in the past 6 months" to getting the correct tones into means it's too much work for me. I wish I was into it, as it would free up much space (and $), but I just... can't.

4. josetxu

josetxu Member

There were some rumours about that, given that there no amps on stage in his current tour but in the last diary from Guy Fletcher (Mark's keyboard player and coproductor) he has revelealed that Mark is actually using them: "Many people have commented or asked about what we are using for amplifiers for the guitars since the stage is devoid of such things, largely to accommodate the huge band. Some have guessed correctly, we are using Kemper profiling amps. Mark’s long-serving guitar tech, Glenn Saggers along with Mark (when he wasn’t in Edinburgh with me preparing the Local Hero musical) has devoted much of his time in the past 6 months to recreating Mark’s unique sounds has done an amazing job. This switch from ‘real’ amps to digital devices is not for the feint-hearted and it wasn’t without its doubters. Now we are up and running and more than two weeks into the tour, we are all on board with them. They certainly allow for incredible separation in both in-ear monitors and front of house system. The sounds are amazingly responsive and malleable."

http://guyfletcher.co.uk/13th-may-2019-cologne/

I attended the last Madrid show and his guitar tone was gorgeus as always, but well: he's Mark Knopfler...

jkr, onyir, Bodhisattva and 14 others like this.
  5. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

This is my trouble with digital modelers in general. I think they sound great these days, but usually I just wanna turn a damn knob.

I have no doubt he sounds amazing through the Kemper.

scolfax, arcey, McNultyRulez and 6 others like this.
  6. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Interesting (I was at Dire Straits's 1st US performance at The Paradise in Boston years ago). That was a great show (and sound).

Key point imo ... it took "much ... time [...over...] 6 months to recreate[...] Mark's ... sounds."

When I have a tech with ~6 months to set up one, maybe I'll be ready to try one. :idea:YinYang:cool:

7. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Mark who?? Next, you'll be telling me that this guy is renowned for his discerning ear and guitar tone.

:D:D

8. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

That's just it. He has a guy working basically full time to getting his tones just right. I have no doubt that it sounds great. For most of us without that kind of team in place its simply not possible. That's not to say you can't use such a system and still sound fine.

prodrigu and theRagman like this.
  9. kyolic

kyolic Member

Well he'll sound like him even if he plugs into a V-Amp. Yet, the fact that Kemper got him convinced should be considered as an answer to the very question of "Are modelers really there", from someone who is sort of a living legend with his tone and playing style.

scolfax, jkr, cutaway and 6 others like this.
  10. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I think more factors play into the equation than pure amp tone. It is close enough for a lot of people.

Mugs likes this.
  11. josetxu

josetxu Member

Well, I can imagine Glenn and Mark taking thousands of profiles from Mark's amp collection before Mark gave the final OK to take them to the tour.

Said that: is there any commercial profiles of the Komet 60? is probably my favourite Mark's amp...

TommyGuitar likes this.
  12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I am going to start raising money for Mr Knopfler. This is proof he needs some....

SDR likes this.
  13. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Exactly. My playing time is limited enough, and I don't want to sacrifice that time programming beeps & bloops for the next year to hopefully sound like I already sound.

DrSax, NAME, Alton and 1 other person like this.
  14. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Don't forget that Mark has signature songs/tunes that span many albums and years, which probably require a bit of care and craft in order to replicate faithfully in a live setting. Then there is the EQ'ing of all the KPA Performances, in order to fit comfortably within a live mix which includes a backing orchestra.

scolfax, owen2j, Stevo57 and 6 others like this.
  15. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Sure. Fine.

But it underscores my main issue with a lot of these (the massive amount of tweaking and programming required to tweak to taste)...

To me.... still a nice idea that takes way too much time "under the hood" to season to taste. Ymmv of course.

Da Geezer and flyingheelhook like this.
  16. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Meh, he's actually Mark Knopfler, not some guy doing Mark Knopfler tributes. I'm guessing he's not necessarily worried about absolutely nailing record tones for all his hits. At least I'd hope not. How boring.

GA20T, Whitecat, Jeffj and 4 others like this.
  17. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

... and history repeats itself again and again...
    Everyone's after their musical heroes' tone, guitars, amps, effects, drugs... then, if they (the hero) start using something that "The Religion Of Rock And Electric Guitars" considers borderline with blasphemy, all of a sudden they (the hero) "would sound like themselves with anything". :D

We all have a signature tone, whether it sucks or rocks. If "all is in the fingers", we wouldn't need to buy anything after our first amp; if there is gear that can sound great, then the Profiler sounds great.

On a side note, Knopfler did not choose a modeller: he chose the Profiler, I believe because he wanted his gear replicated (which includes the mics and preamps he (or his team) likes to use when sending his amps to FOH).

Here's an example of the way a pro guitar player prepares their tour with a Kemper. This series of 4 videos is in Italian and the guy (a very famous session player and producer) talks a lot, but it's amazing to see how much stuff and pre-production is involved in a tour; so skipping forward now and then but following the whole story might be interesting nevertheless (specially when it comes to profiling and the gear he used).

Note: Varini also released packs of hs profiles after that tour.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  18. XTC Blue

XTC Blue Silver Supporting Member

It's not the "nice idea's" fault that so many decide to spend way too much time under the hood. Guy's been playing with a single blade pocket knife for years and suddenly is given the ultimate Swiss army knife. It's not the knife's fault if he chooses to cut stuff using 6 blades at a time.

19. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

By your own admission you’ve never tried one. Just because Knopfler took that long to feel ready to use it live doesn’t mean you, or countless others, need to subscribe to that mentality. You might find your tone in half an hour and be done, just as many others have.

otter5555, EtaCarinae, JLee and 8 others like this.
  20. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

I just want a copy of his profiles...