Shocked: Knopfler using Kemper on current tour

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Luca1979, May 15, 2019.

1. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

I find it ironic when people say modelers/profilers are too much tweaking, they just want to play.... yet many of those same folks are the ones who have tried 50 different OD pedals, spend hours reading reviews, flipping gear, posting on gear forums etc in a quest to get their ideal tone.....

It’s the same thing, just different method. Instead of buying a pedal, waiting for it to ship, trying it, then selling it a week later, you can turn a dial...

Still can be the endless black hole of tweaking, BUT, you don’t need the UPS guy stopping at your house 3x a week

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

True for some.

I also still distrust (on some level), the fragility of modelers if they take a dump on a gig. If one pedal etc goes down, one goes down. If your modeler hiccups,potentially much worse.

I suppose I've never gotten over my friend's then-new early big Line6 AX212 (?) combo going blank and losing all presets during our gig years ago. :confused

Atmospheric likes this.
  3. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

He sounds pretty great here, and he used the Kemper extensively on his tour with Hans Zimmer.

hookakat1 and apalazzolo like this.
  4. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

As oppose to an amp powered by glass tubes, that are so antiquated that they are only made in far off parts of Russia and China?

5. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

Ya. Cause that sucks.
    [​IMG]

6. Jon C

And for which I have numerous spares that I can easily take with me to any gig.... and change if needed.

How many spare Kempers can I fit in my small gig bag if the main one takes a shite at the gig? :confused:

zuel69 likes this.
  7. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

By the same token, I’ve seen lots of really big pedal boards with countless places for issues such as the 50 patch cords, the multiple power supplies, the pedals themselves, the switches etc. lots of potential points of failure, and tricky to figure out what the issue is at a gig.....

I think that is part of the beauty of the digital rig, they just hit a button, swap to the B rig, which is running identical settings, and your back up and running. Audience might not even notice....

If an amp blows, pedal board gets a short etc, your less likely to have a full replacement rig you can quickly swap out in most cases, though obviously some folks do have backup heads and such ready as the press of an a/b routing switch.

8. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Can you reach into the hot amp and pull the blown tube, barehanded, slot in its replacement, let it warm up, and not miss a beat though ? I’d be down for like 20 minutes best case scenario....

9. JmpOne

JmpOne Member

Yep that's pretty much my take on it too. I can imagine people at that level, having floated the idea of "going direct" or some other low volume solution to make dealing with the orchestra and guitars easier being very thorough. Did they also check out using a brace of upmarket low output tube amps and screens, the Axe FX and load/Two notes solutions too, before settling on the Kemper as their preference for these particular shows? Or, just generally for artists at that level, with the more traditional approach, how much work and evaluation and general back and forth went into putting together Gilmour's Cornish board for the On an Island tour? I doubt that worked out quick or cheap either! Different world when you have both the means and the desire to have a really high end, flexible and reliable rig ...

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  10. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

LMAO. Holy Cow...that is the pedalboard from hell.
    I think I would rather be this guy:

[​IMG]

Tidbit, hookakat1, cutaway and 6 others like this.
  11. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

That's a long time to hold a grudge... I mean, I've been using modelers and modeling amps (and all sorts of other digital pedals) live for almost 20 years now, and I've never had any sort of failure like that. I did have a power amp fail in my Duoverb amp, but that wasn't at a gig (and, kind of ironically, I guess, it was a good ol' solid state power amp that failed). Anything can fail... I guess that's why people who are actually touring with this sort of stuff have duplicates and perhaps triplicates of gear that's mission critical. That goes for tube amps as well as digital stuff.

12. Jon C

PITA, true, even with my asbestos (sic) tube changing glove. :cool:

Lord Radish and LqdSndDist like this.
  13. Jon C

One person's "grudge" is another's "hardly ever think about it" (i.e., really isn't important re the modeler). :cool: :idea

I've seen a couple of problems but as you note, same with tubes, just different issues. I have a couple of modelers I fiddle with at home (Vox Tonelab LE, for ex) but not powered a la Kemper ... so I see the value as well as soft spots.

Re backups in general, I agree completely. I have something in reserve (I hope) for most problems, but not a crystal ball.

14. hudpucker

hudpucker Member

Not everyone is skilled enough to use a large pedalboard effectively.

gigsup, Deuterium and Jon C like this.
  15. TommyGuitar

TommyGuitar Member

My tones are unreal, and I barely touch them. I use it every night with label acts and recording sessions.

hookakat1 and Jon C like this.
  16. Ejay

Ejay Member

But.....but...no editor!....7 year old tech!...didnt he try helix?
    :p

17. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

tsk-tsk :)

18. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I think once you realize that people don't give a poop about guitar tones and only want to hear good songs done with good performances, you'll come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what you play, as far as gear is concerned.

I'm a tube amp guy. Always have been. Always will be. But I know that I'm the only one in that venue that cares about my tone. Well, there maybe one or two other guitarists there that have something to say about it. But they're not who I'm playing for.

stevenymets, GA20T, Greatdane and 8 others like this.
  19. josetxu

josetxu Member

:D

20. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

On average any of the top-tier modelers are probably two orders-of-magnitude more reliable than a vacuum tube amplifier. But, nothing in life is guaranteed so always have a backup plan.