Shocked: Knopfler using Kemper on current tour

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Luca1979, May 15, 2019.

1. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I know some of you are saying "his tech didn't have to tweak for 6 months" and "you can get a great sound out of the box", and I am absolutely sure that is true. Mark probably could've plugged in to a brand new Kemper, powered it on, and sounded 90% like Mark Knopfler.

But isn't this whole forum about that last 10%?

2. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

well this is what kemper is for; recreating studio tones for live use.
    coming up with new and original (or at least interesting) sounds in the first place though? You'll need something a li'l more plug'n'play...

3. sah5150

sah5150 Gold Supporting Member

Just make sure you carry those spare screen grid resistors and soldering rig! ;)

Steve

4. sah5150

I gave ya the formula in my previous post: Profile Amp, Play. Buy one and you'll see...

Steve

Deuterium likes this.
  5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Part of my point... I get the formula but that's a very expensive experiment, others' good results notwithstanding.

I'd want to sample and hear back a few different flavors of what's here now, that sounds hard to do without buying one (unless you know someone).

It's an interesting but hardly earth shaking issue that will keep getting more interesting.

6. Frank67

Frank67 Member

Just out of the concert - the sound was not good. The guitar was way too high in the mix. The Strat tones were magical, the Les Paul tones, I did not like at all. I am mostly blaming the sound guy who must have been the closest thing to being deaf ... or was infinitely distracted. Don‘t know ... but it was not good.

I am not blaming the Kemper .... love mine and it sounds great ... just the mix was no good. Marks playing was awesome though.

Gasp100 likes this.
  7. sah5150

IMO, there is risk with any gear purchase. You can return the Kemper if you don't like it when buying from a retail outlet. Buy one, profile your favorite rig and see what you think. If you don't like it, and it isn't as easy as I say, return it and get your money back...

And this is coming from a guy that designs, builds, sells (and plays) tube amps. Truth be told, I've sold a number of my amps to guys who first experienced them through the Kemper profiles captured by Big Hairy Profiles (which I endorse because they represent my amp well, but I make no money from):

Henning Bottle Rocket Kemper Profiles

Of course, without amps, the Kemper is useless...

Steve

8. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

Wow, this is unexpected.

9. Davepitt11

Davepitt11 Member

Knopfler's tech works 6 months to profile his tones and get them exactly right? Too much time and effort.

Bluze Lawyer spends 30 years selling, trading, buying amps and pedals in a neverending effort to achieve tonal bliss before starting the whole cycle again? A-ok.

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Interesting idea.

For live sound won't I need to go through something approximating a FRFR speaker cab (otherwise I'm playing the Kemper's output through Amp X's speakers or, e.g., my 1-12 Celestion Gold cab)? I'm not sure my SWR California Blonde would qualify (?).

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

We opened up for Diamond Rio and Jimmy was showing me his Kemper. He was running it in stereo through a backline of 2 Twin Reverbs so it was hard to tell what was what as far as tone. Jimmy mainly plays clean, but it sounded great on stage. Out front it sounded like a well mixed guitar.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  12. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

You lead a charmed life! At one unfortunate gig in Lake George, NY during summer of 1975 I had my Marshall 50 head go up in smoke during the first set. A spare Ampeg V4 lasted another two sets and expired in a similar manner. Fortunately, the band at a club up the road were nice enough to lend me a Bandmaster head to finish the night with. Spent the entire next day chasing down parts and was still cranking away with a soldering iron until about 15 minutes before start time. Drama like that was bad enough at age 24. At this point in life, who needs it. I'll stick with my Helix and CLR thank-you-very-much. I generally carry an Atomic A3 for backup and could appropriate one of our K10s from the FOH system if it came down to it.

13. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

Considering it took his tech 6 months to get the sound right, I think we can say we are not "there" yet.
    Isn't the whole selling point of the Kemper to be able to put it in front of your real amp and get an exact "profile" of it in minimal time?

14. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Is there a term for that point when a thread reaches enough posts that it circles back upon itself, and begins repeating and recapitulating exactly the same initial points as the earliest posts, as if nothing later then post #16 has been read. If there isn't such a term, I call dibs, and coin it the "TGP Ouroboros Effect".

15. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

Pretty sure that's a troll post. Right? The whole '6 months' cliche and all....

16. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I have both a Kemper and a Marshall 2525H into a 2x12 Port City Vertical. The Marshall sounds better and more satisfying to play, but I've yet to play it in any gig because I would have to neuter it to the point of "why" when I can get a better lowish volume guitar tone out of Kemper. Now, I'm not a "pro" either but definitely would call myself a semi-pro. I used the AxeFX in the past and liked the sound of that too but decided that it sucked me into the "option" vortex too much. The Kemper really clicked for me when I discovered MBritt profiles which were dialed up for live use by an actual pro who uses them. Turns out I really dug is vintage Marshall and hot rodded Marshall profiles. The only twiddling I do is setting up the performances but I cut 5 slivers of the same amp. Clean to Lead with some different effects rigs on each profile. I never touch the Kemper. I just touch the pedal board. Easiest pedal board and tone transitions I've ever had. If you can find a set of profiles you gel with that works live, it's really a magical device.

Tools for the job. I like both. In practicality, I only need the Kemper though...at least for my current gigs and use cases.

17. Nick Shephard

Nick Shephard Member

No idea why that process would take 6 months, it not like the Kemper has hundreds of settings to play with. If you know how to mic an amp then the profiling process isn’t difficult. Watch the Tim Pierce video where Uwe Bossert profiles his amps, that looks pretty quick and painless to me. I assume a player like Mark chooses to move to digital is for consistency and reliability, the main failings of tube amps in my book.

18. mtb

mtb Member

I guess it was all about practicality. First of all, he had someone work for months not on getting new exciting sounds, but only to copy what he already had - kind of an expensive Xerox to bring you back to square one, not forward.

And he needed to free up space in the van...I was at his show last week and the band was 12 people, plus he changed guitar on every single song. I guess if he had also carried a ton of amps they would have needed a train to lug it all around and too much space/time to set up.

DeadLazy likes this.
  19. josetxu

josetxu Member

This forum is amazing. News is, for me, that an artist like Mark Knopfler, known for his tone and dynamic playing, his array of vintage guitar and amps, who makes an european and USA tour in places like Royal Albert Hall or Madison Square Garden, who could take any amp(s) he would want, he's not a metal, shred, ambient, etc... (the more typical modelling users) player has choosen to take the digital road (and still sounded as great as always). And not for his warming rig, the occasional gig or when playing as a guest in a festival but for his tour.

But lots of people here, have stucked in the "6 months" part of it. Mark Knopfler has an incredible large collection of amps (I remember a photo from the old Guy Fletcher's diaries showing about 15 vintage fender amps they were trying only for an slide overdub), one of the better London studios (British Groove, for those of you that doesn't know it) known for his huge collection of modern and vintage equipment (mics, consoles, etc...). It's easy to imagine that most of the time that they've used those months to prepare the Kempers for the tour has been choosing amps, trying mics and mic placements, amp settings, etc... and not buying some internet profiles and tweaking them to hell.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Gldtp07, Darkburst, MIJLOVER and 9 others like this.
  20. josetxu

josetxu Member

I attended the Madrid show and sound was great. I loved the blue Pensa, Sailing to Philadelphia was magical and both Speedway and Telegraph road were outstanding both the playing and the tone.

Gig Young, MIJLOVER and Frank67 like this.