Shocked: Knopfler using Kemper on current tour

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Luca1979, May 15, 2019.

1. josetxu

josetxu Member

I'm pretty sure most of the time were used to choose what amps to use (he's got a large collection), and playing with mics, mic placements, amp settings, etc... Guy Fletcher has said in his forum that "I’m not going to go into too much detail inside the Kempers suffice to say that there are a lot of profiles in there." And be sure all of them have been made by them.

Bigjay and Ingolf like this.
  2. Ejay

Ejay Member

The fact that he has a tech..and you and I dont...maybe gives a clue that your and his situation maybe a little different.
    Arena proof “nothing can go wrong” rigs are a tad different from doing a wedding gig.

Tough a cant think of what this guy has been doing for 6 months either...
    Anyway...this avarage joe was gigging it the same week I got it no problem.

hookakat1, Jeffj and Gasp100 like this.
  3. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Member

I don't own/play a Kemper or any modeling amplifier but I'd trust both Mark and his tech. He knows his s**t, he's a living legend. Like many others pointed out, there must be a good reason why he've chosen to go digital for his entire tour. Since he can bring whatever rig he want and have people doing that work specifically, I guess that reason must be good tone. If it's good for him, it's probably good for most professionals.
    I never took the digital route because:
    1) I tend to obsess over things and I'd fall into the "infinite tweaking" rabbit hole pretty quickly. I know myself, and I want to PLAY. I prefer simple things.
    2) I own 2 guitar tube heads which are light enough and easy to carry. The same is for my cabinets.
    3) I switched to bass a couple of years ago, I don't care that much about guitar gear these days, and I don't take my guitar gear outside anymore.
    Why I mentioned playing bass? Well, because bassists are generally more prone to embrace different approaches, compared to guitarists. They're more prone to change, simply put. I started realizing this even before switching to bass, so don't take this as a "bass vs guitar" thing, because it's not. I play and love both instruments, I have and use both tube and SS amps, I use both analog and digital pedals etc. so I'm not taking any "side", just sharing my personal experience.
    One of the reasons why bassists seem more easy-going is probably because bass gear is usually heavier and bigger. In my opinions, necessity "forced" them to explore new routes before guitarists. Think about preamps, Class D amps, super-light modern instruments and all that stuff. Guitarists started to TALK about this kind of gear recently, while I see bassists with incredibly performing modern gear almost every day.
    I respect all the opinions, I agree that vintage stuff is satisfying, but I see to many obtuse comments regarding modern gear. Things are changing, at least we should look and see what we like or not.

4. Ejay

Ejay Member

And....its not like replacing a pedalboard and a combo for a wedding gig either....
    Thats a “to big to fail touring act” with all eyes on the guitar.
    Redundancy, crew knowing what to do, testing, etc...

So before we imagine we need the same prep as he...maybe do a reality check ;)

hookakat1 and josetxu like this.
  5. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Fantastic. Mark is a monster player and the fact he is using Kemper to tour with is further proof that digital tech is where it needs to be. Watch for lots more of this going forward.

6. Lord N

Lord N Member

Actually, nevermind... what's the point in arguing against ignorance. :D

7. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

I actually said something to the effect that I’m sure it sounds great anyway without a hired programmer.
    The OP was amazed that it wasn’t his tube amps. Further info revealed they spent a good amount of time getting the exact tones he wanted out of it. That’s all.

I have no doubts that it sounds great out of the box.

hookakat1 likes this.
  8. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

It took 6 months to get the Kempers dialed in. How much time would it take to get amps, cabs, effects, mics, midi switching and cabling dialed in? And, how much time is saved, using Kempers, just setting up/tearing down for each show? I doubt the answer is; 6 months for Kemper/1 week for tube amps...

hookakat1 likes this.
  9. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Ha! This thread has to have been moved from the amp forum...

Jeffj likes this.
  10. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

This discussion intrigues me quite a bit. Knopfler is one of my guitar heroes. Perhaps the ability to use the Kemper to "take all his amps" on tour with him without the wear and tear, maintenance, cartage costs, setup time, and stage volume matters, it provides a much cheaper solution in a time when most artists these days release an album simply as a signpost to indicate that they are going on tour ...meaning, money spent on producing said album but using the tour to pay for it since no one really buys albums anymore...smaller production (no bulky amps or monitors on stage) means a dollar saved is a dollar earned.

FusionRock and HesNot like this.
  11. Fresiki

Fresiki Member

This recurring idea that Mark Knopfler's tech "had" to spend all those months before getting tones that were good enough, doesn't hold up. I mean, the guys saying they just wanna turn a knob, I can't argue with that, but he even made a point to say that there were "doubters", not "patches that didn't sound right for the first few months". Here's what it means: technically, it sounded fine from early on or the get-go, but psychologically, it took a while for the idea to sit right.

Also, here's a question. If it took him six months to find the tones that sounded pleasing to his 24/7 sound tech guy-ears, at what point in that time was he past the point of diminishing returns as far as the rest of us are concerned? You think you wouldn't be happy with a patch he dialed in in five minutes?

Even if he did spend every day of six months constantly tinkering before getting usable tones, which he didn't, what do you think actually took that long? He moved knobs in 1 degree increments and played for 20 seconds and kept going at it for six months? That doesn't make any sense. That a bunch of people on the team were blowing "hey digital DOESNT SOUND AS GOOD AS ANALOG dont do it mark" out of their blowhorn does make a lotta sense, just look on any guitar forum. Or this thread. :trollface:

SteveO and pomfret like this.
  12. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

Strat and Les Paul sounding different could also have much to do with the amp, as well. He's been touring for years with three amps. Tone King Imperial for real clean and for overdriven sounds either the Komet 60 or Reinhardt. Just saying that a Strat thru the Tone King is going to sound quite different than a Les Paul thru the Komet or Reinhardt.
    Having said that, I'll also agree with Husky that much of it is in his hands.

13. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Member

To non KPA owners, we are talking about an iconic tone that the gent has had over a 50+ year career. Not just looking for a tone that matches a cover song. The Kemper is filled with tones that will leave you playing for hours without tweedling knobs to get there.
    Sit and play one for a couple of hours before you assume it's too complicated. There are tons of free and for pay profiles out there that stand as examples of how easy it is to get great tones out of the KPA.

All digital gear is as complicated or as easy as you make it.

hookakat1, FusionRock and danel59 like this.
  14. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

LOL! You guys think his tech was in the studio for 6 months, 12 hours a day trying to get his sound? This was done over a 6 month period, that's all we know! Maybe they jammed and worked on it once a week or once every second week, I'm sure they are busy guys. It's a good excuse though, had they said 6 days, I still doubt any of you would have run out and bought it.

15. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

I think a lot of you are missing the point. Who cares how long his tech took to dial things in? A die-hard tube purist has dumped his tube amps in favor of using a modeler live. How many times have we heard, "When <big name guitar player> starts using a modeler, that's when I'll switch."?

Big name guitar player starts using a modeler, TGP loses their minds and says it's only because he has a tech to dial it in for him. SMH...

hookakat1, kickstrat, SteveO and 4 others like this.
  16. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I equate this to my craft as a professional photographer. After lugging around huge bodies and cases full of gear for a number of years, I went smaller and lighter with mirrorless systems, and it's made travel, along with the whole shooting experience, more enjoyable than ever.

Mark can plug literally into anything and pretty much sound like. . . Mark. I know that there are plenty here that think digital will never sway the purist away from the beloved tube amps. But digital is here to stay, and I can't wait to get on board fully at some point.

Gig Young and hookakat1 like this.
  17. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

But it’s not mine.

I have no interest in someone else’s tone for my music.

18. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I think its just the way of the economy and other factors that are driving guys to these digital units. Its definitely way easier to haul around than a bunch of big old tube amps. For myself I can't stand playing around with the Axe FX units or these Kemper units and still prefer my tube head and solid state amp with a hand full of pedals. Its cool that the Kemper is working out for him. I guess to me with all this gear stuff.. digital vs tube and everything else the best thing to use is what works best for you in the end.

Gig Young likes this.
  19. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

MARK KNOPFLOPELER IS USING A KEMPER?!?!?!?!?!

MIJLOVER likes this.
  20. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I'm more upset Brothers in Arms aren't in the setlist.

Greatdane likes this.