Shoegaze fun. Recommend me a reverb and fuzz.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Whiz, Mar 23, 2015.

1. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I have been playing around with my Eleven Rack. In part to give me an idea as to what I want to do with my pedals and tube amp rig. Anyway, I'm loving running the large plate reverb into the Big Muff emulation and then into a clean Twin Reverb emulation. Sounds freaking unreal.

All my fuzzes are Fuzzface based and therefore don't play well with something in front of them (although that's a cool lofi effect in itself.) So I want a fuzz that can work anywhere in the chain. Big Muff? Clone of a Big Muff? Something else?

Recommend me a reverb pedal too. Something good for shoegaze/ambient, but also with a decent spring emulation for when I want surfy. Nothing too expensive...I am thinking of the digitech polara?

2. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

Wet and....the best fuzz I've tried for this is the Deluxe Fixd Fuzz. It is not perfect but can get into the wall of sound. I get the feeling a Rat might work, stacked with fuzz.

Reverb before And after fuzz helps a lot.

Polara is too tame. I had the very similar RV7 and was unable to get anything shoe gazerish out of it, by my MBV standards. It is a great reverb for normal people.

3. lhama

lhama Member

Ehx Holy grail neo into a big muff?

4. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Holy Grail into Big Muff indeed.

5. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Boss rv-3 into proco rat = classic

6. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

For shoegaze, you definitely want a reverb pedal capable of achieving deep hall settings (think Slowdive's Souvlaki tone, like the guitar at the end of Alison). The Boss RV-5 would do that for you on a budget. If you want something "top of the line," the Neuaber Wet is a popular option. If you want something really crazy, check out the Earthquaker Afterneath, which at times can sound like a Souvlaki-in-a-box.

For fuzz, the Rat was mentioned and that can give you a really great saturated tone. I am using a Hartman LM308 for this as it has two settings, the classic LM308 tone and then a different setting. For shoegaze though I'd recommend a Big Muff, which isn't exactly a fuzz. You definitely don't want one of those 60s inspired Germanium or Silicon fuzz faces, those are going to be too raunchy and not smooth enough. A Big Muff Pi would be an excellent option. If you want something a bit more unique, look for an IC based op-amp Muff like the Stomp Under Foot Pumpkin Pi.

7. Druggist

Druggist Member

Might want to look into the EQD Afterneath for reverb. Haven't played it myself yet, but looks pretty neat for getting big washy, unusual verbs.

For dirt, keep in mind that a lot of shoegazey stuff is more distortion than fuzz per se. The EQD Hoof is a great tighter muff along those lines. I've been loving the Wampler PlexTortion too, which can definitely get some MBV or (especially) Swervedriver sounds. Oh and btw, new Swervedriver album just out!

8. ryandfl

Part of the toughness with fuzz/distortion here is those guys, at least MBV, were know for running their amps super loud. That real deal is so hard to emulate.

If there was some consensus on X pedal really sounds like MBV drive, I would be all over it. Hoping for some insight in this thread.

9. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Whirr is good...

And I agree with your assessment that it doesn't take much. I consider the type of music I play to be very "shoegaze-esque," and my pedalboard these days is usually no bigger than 6 or 7 pedals and that includes a tuner and boost. Take Beach Fossils for example, not exactly that huge wall of sound shoegaze sound, but very simple, just a compressor, a little dirt here and there, and digital reverb.

10. jm9239

jm9239 Member

For a big muff, look no further than Stomp Under Foot or Skreddy. For reverb, the Strymon Flint should cover what you need and also provide access to trem.

11. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

i use Big Muff or Rat into Mr. Black Supermoon Chrome. the 100% wet function can give you some crazy shoegazey vibes. recently discovered The Raveonettes, not quite shoegaze, but they get some cool sounds putting a RV-5 into a Rat.

12. ryandfl

I don't know how helpful this is, but I was just playing the guitar with shoegazing in mind and after a few attempts on my board really liked this -

Strat - Sunface Ti uk - Wet - alter ego x4 (maybe a DMM delay) - H9 chorus - Wet - Fender brownface

Very...good. Lots of space. Cords blended but single notes sung through the waviness.

13. Dubious

Dubious Member

for me the key is 2 amps / wet dry rig

my pedal board goes through one am and my verb is on a second amp with the signal fed into it from a volume pedal

i run an old alesis wedge with the verb settings set on pretty much infinite.

14. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

15. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

for really big shoegaze sounds that would run WAY less than $200, i'd stick this:

[​IMG]

into this:

[​IMG]

buffers won't be an issue + you get the yamaha reverbs (with or without modulation), reverse gate (kevin shields), early reflections, and symphonic.

16. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

What kind of amp do you plan on using? That will matter for fuzz recommendations.

For reverb, I'd recommend the TC Electronic Trinity T2. They've been known to go on sale at MF for $99 and there's not much in that price range that does all this guy can do.

17. tuj

tuj Member

get a Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom. Way cool fuzz. If you like your fuzz of an oscillating flavor, check out the Fuzzhugger AB-synth or the RedWitch Fuzzgod II.

18. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

Wet

Stomp Under Foot Mountain Goat

19. popvulture

popvulture Member

I test drove a Wet and thought it was almost too pretty for me... I'm convinced I need to give it another chance though, as I'm sure I'd have plenty of fun with that insane decay if I could just nasty it up a little bit.

I'm surprised the EQD Dispatch Master hasn't been mentioned yet. Unless they come out with an improved version with two footswitches, it's never leaving my board. Nice, cavernous shoegaze territory, and it sounds fantastically f**ed up if you put it before a drive or fuzz. I've particularly liked it before my Aphelion, Wren + Cuff Tall Font Russian, and Fairfield Four Eyes.

20. Dubious

Dubious Member

Whats this verb into fuzz everyones talkin bout?

Ive got a magic stomp bein russled up as we speak... Curius to rry it.