Shoot Out: Historic v. Vintage '50's Les Pauls. It's a Tie.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by phoenix 7, Dec 18, 2009.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. phoenix 7

"Beyond the noted subtleties, we didn't hear or discern anything in the vintage guitars that couldn't be reproduced by the reissues. Anything more is simply splittin' hairs. There is no substitute for mojo, and hell yes, it was a Golden Era. Without question, the best of the best and the vintage pieces blew our minds. But as long as Edwin Wilson and the Gibson Historic Art and Custom Shop are crafting these remarkable and mesmerizing reissues (see sidebar, "Digging Deep"), there will forever be serious gold in them there Nashville hills."

Seems remarkable to me.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  3. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

When Clapton cut the Beano disk or Freddy King did Hideaway they were playing "used" guitars ,not "vintage". If the materials are good, the construction good and details right it's just a matter of time. And Lollar pickups will help!

4. phoenix 7

Great point. And I agree, Lollar Imperials are great pickups.

5. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Nice article, but they seem to have graduated from the Billy Gibbons school of rhetoric!

6. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I believe it. I've never bought into the philosophy that vintage is always better. I agree with paulg. If you use good materials, you'll build good stuff.

7. phoenix 7

Of course, these things require a grain or two of salt. But I think this is a good reality check for the folks who say that Gibson doesn't build them like they used to. I do know that my '03 R8 and '07 R9 stand up VERY well to the boutique LP guitars I've owned and compared them with.

8. dre

dre Member

I know of one thing that the reissues can't reproduce..................the tone!
    Sure, there are nice historics (I own one), but they do not sound or feel like the old ones. I don't know what these guys are talking about. Gibson can't get the neck profile right, the top carve, the plastic color, the inlays, the pu's...........uh, I can go on and on.
    Having said that, they are well built guitars that sound good, but cut the b.s.......they can't touch their vintage counterparts.

dre

9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I can only rely on friends of mine (mostly pro & semi pros) who have played more than a couple of the old ones, and who can thus compare to their own & my more recent Historics (mine happen to be '01s just by coincidence) ... and they tell me that my ears are not lying and that the best of the Historics are a fair match for the vintage, less the mojo factor, of course. That's close enough for me given the economics (less than $3k for a 335 historic v. $15k for a real '59 just to toss a number) ... would I love the real '59? Sure, if I had another zero or 2 on the end of my bank account totals ... since I don't, I'm good.

cheers,
    Jon

10. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

You have to wonder whether Gibson are an advertiser in the magazine, and if so, read anything written about them as such.

11. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

My Dad told me that the original Les Paul's all played & sounded different. Shops rarely had more that two. They didn't sell very well. I would take a used Historic any day.

12. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

Keep those "subtleties" in mind: "vintage guitars have aged to become lighter, more resonant creatures, and their pickups are certainly darker, in cool but interesting ways."

Note also they spoke with the Whitrock brother that make guitars now, not the one that collects guitars from then. And, if the Good Barrister had brought Gladys, it would have been a massacre, not a party. ;)

13. phoenix 7

I think no one doubts the effects that 50 years of aging, playing and drying have on guitars. I think the key point made in the article is that the new Historics -- aside from being 50 years younger -- are basically in the same class as the ones made in the 50's.

14. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

It's no different today. Each one is a bit different. Some better, some worst.
    I don't buy into the whole vintage hype, either. I've only played one '50s gold top and it was a disappointment. I've also played a handful of old Norlins (yes, Norlins), which I thought were much better sounding guitars than that GT, but none of them could hold a candle to a good historic. Great guitars and crappy guitars are made all the time, now and then.

phoenix, thanks for posting that article.

15. Kappy

Kappy Member

First thing that came to my mind too when I read the hype-y rhetoric. That being said, I'd love to personally take an afternoon and do a shootout with 5 vintage Gibbys vs 5 historic RIs.

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Do A Check on his newly aquired car.......I bet it was paid for by Gibson..........:rolleyes:

17. Stereo Dynamo

Stereo Dynamo Member

Please. I'll go as far as saying that on a blind test of historics vs vintage les pauls, you'll most likely fail.

18. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

That's a very serious claim. Do you have any proof, or did you simply pull this out of your ass?

19. Kappy

Kappy Member

Blindfold tests with Internet experts. This too I'd like to witness.

20. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member